[CW/Feedback] Iris

Noir

Iris

The scent of irises,” I breathed as I turned to Sylvette. “Do you sense them?”

I watched her eyes close as a smile stood on her face. I could barely hear the faint sound of her gently sucking in a breath of the soothing air.

“A faint, abnormally refreshing scent indeed.....” She uttered as her azure eyes reopened.

“Just a little more,” I pressed. “We're almost there.”

She nodded slightly as we continued through the muddy roads. Staggering our steps were, clumsily landing on the dampness of watered soil, threatening to drag us down and taint us at but a graceless movement. We could notice a tinge of light falling from the canopies that formed a road on the forest path to a place I knew, and wanted to take Sylvette to. I took hold of her hand as she continued towards the pebbles that stood on the shallow river that was crystal clear, sparkling under exposure of the thin slits on light through the hinges of brown leaves.

And we crossed through the door of light in front of us. The scenery changed, and I was glad to see her beautiful eyes widen and her smile growing. I too, watched, satisfactory of the wonderful view this place had offered. Nature was but of a fine artist; I could almost see invisible brushes lash at the sky skilfully, blending the orange with fine shades of purple, gold and blue, white, fluffy shades further complementing the compelling sky. The field of irises and dandelions shrouded the ground in a beige that seemed to shine over the green stems that supported them, swaying gracefully at the music of the wind as it caressed our faces, forming endless lumps of spored puffs that kited along as the wind continued to go to places possibly beyond our reach. I watched diamonds twinkle in between the patterned ground; dewdrops were stubbornly clinging on the leaves as they glistened from the recent rain.

“Beautiful.....” I could barely hear her say, her voice as equally soft as the passing breeze, hiding her possible breathing as I imagined that she'd enjoy the breezy air.

I reached for the white lumps on the ground and picked up the damp stem of an iris. I watched it carefully, the beautifully placed petals that formed a dress on the bud, the white complemented perfectly with a mild yellow, as I too, took in a refreshing breath and enjoyed the heavenly scent of the flower.

The scent of irises,” I repeated. “Wonderful, isn't it?” I placed the flower in front of her, watching the petals make her a new dress that cleansed her white dress that was mildly dirty due to the mud. I watched her beautiful azure eyes sparkling brighter than the stars that formed on the grassy ground, watched her stunning smile that seemed to be more beautiful that the scenery that stood before me – perhaps the best my eyes would see as I felt my lips involuntarily smiling as well.

I again found my cheeks mildly reddening at her rosy ones, as she took the flower I offered and hoped she'd enjoyed the exquisite scent. I watched her place the flower near her nose as she yet again closed her eyes, motionlessly taking in the scent as she let out a relieved sigh, fiddling her hands at the petals as I managed to hide a chuckle.

“The scent is wonderful.” She said. “Tell me, why did you never tell me of this place?”

“I didn't know it for long, actually. This isn't the end of the birthday present, though.” With a gentle wave of my hand, I called for Zephyr – the injured unicorn that I'd saved not just the day I discovered this place – as she soared across the sky and landed gently on the ground.

“Unicorn?” She asked again, as I noticed her hand on her lips, in awe.

“A friend,” I said, as if I were correcting her slightly. I allowed her to brush her fingers against the soft brushes of her gray mane as I watched her eyes turn at the magnificent creature's entirety, the beautifully curved horn, embracing, welcoming wings powerful enough to arouse a rain of dandelion spores with a gentle flap, eyes almost an azure blue as hers, perhaps even mirrored. I looked at Zephyr and was happy that she was glad and free, as I briefly reminisced how miserable she was in her lethargic, wounded state; and I wondered if Sylvette now thought she was looking at herself as a horse, and again, managed to hide a chuckle.

I approached the two as I stroked the creature's back, mounting the warm unicorn as it began to spread its wings, creating again another gust of wind that bounced all the petals and spores up from the blossomed field.

“Get on.” I said, stretching out a hand.

“But....we're flying?” I could notice both the excitement and nervousness in her tone as she turned her head around in hesitance.

“It'll be fine. Trust me.”

Sylvette had a bit of a paranoia of heights since she was little, but I knew this was a scene that she wouldn't fear. I was sure of it.......

I sensed it from her exterior: her fear and hesitance slowly dissipated as I gently took her up Zephyr's back. Hold on tight, I said, as I felt my waist being held by two warm arms.

And thus we flew. I commanded Zephyr to take us to the waterfall that was far from where we lived, but flying there only took but a moment. I secretly turned my eye back to Sylvette and noticed her smile as she enjoyed the ride, although I could still sense a pang of fear in her azure eyes and decided I'd take it easy on her for a while. We stopped as we caught the soothing sound of flowing water, a ray of orange from the sunlight shining directly upon us as Zephyr landed gently onto the lake beneath. I took Sylvette down and allowed my hand to caress the water as Zephyr flew across, as she did the same. I watched her laugh in amusement as she dampened my cheeks with a playful splash of water, as I commanded the unicorn to go higher.

We arrived at the piece de resistance– what I found to look most wonderful in such a place. I enjoyed best the mossy rock formations that lined up behind the hills that formed a truly awe inspiring view, as all of us enjoyed the scene nature had to offer. We stared at the pillars which were like soliders lining up, the creeping moss swirling uniquely around them as they stood beautifully under exposure of the sunset that hued everything into a golden orange.

Gradually, the brightness in the sky began to diminish, and the orange traces were hidden behind the back of the hills no one could ever see. The sky's colour was rather turmoil, the purple and blue shades still painted beautifully across the sky, blended with mild traces of the sun's orange hue. Odd, but beautiful nonetheless. I landed Zephyr back at the iris field as the breeze from her wings yet again aroused a hail of dandelion spores. I again picked an iris and placed it on her ear, as I knew it was already time to go back to our place.

“Today was fun.” Sylvette said, looking slightly tired, but in all happy. “It was an enjoyable experience. Thank you, Zephyr.” She said as she gently stroked her face as she happily neighed in response. For the umpteenth time I hid my chuckle as I felt glad that those two were getting along very well.

“It's time I got back.” I said. “It's getting late. I'm glad you had fun today.”

Sylvette suddenly ran behind me as she placed an object between the hinges of my hand, before skipping across the dampened roads of the forest.

Thank you....” I wondered again if it was her voice speaking or if yet another gust of wind was toying with my ear, as I stole a final glance at the wonderful scenery of the sun setting behind the tips of the mountains of the darkening evening sky, that rained of dandelion spores again under the flapping of Zephyr's wings. The unicorn freely flew to a place I may perhaps never know, today but a memory I would perhaps never forget. I allowed myself a final whiff of the wonderful iris scent, something I would forever reminisce as I returned back to the forest paths with a smile on my face.

Edited by YagamiNoir4896