Book Quotes

Maelstrom

Because maybe it deserves its own topic and I shouldn't double-post or edit so much in the Quotes thread.

All books, whether fiction or non-fiction, are meant to inform. Even the crude, the joking, and the lighthearted entertaining ones have some sort of message or lesson to share. And sometimes, the authors and editors manage to find interesting or eloquent ways to express things. This is the place to share what you have come across.

Really, this pertains to all forms of media. But I find books to be much better edited, revised, reworked, and overall chewed over more thoroughly before being finalized and presented to the general public. Unlike a video game, you can't really patch a book after it has been printed and distributed.

Unlike shows and movies, it is not constrained to a time limit. Unlike periodicals or manga, they hardly have timelines to conform to.

As a general rule, books are better paced and more expansive than other forms.

So I suppose part of this is to share interesting passages. Another part of this is perhaps to scout out other books and series I would prefer to read.

The rest of this post is reserved for me to go back through places like the quotebook to transcribe some of those quotes here and hunt for the bookmarks in my collections. So. Every now and then check here for more quotes being edited in at later dates.

Other than that reminder, feel free to add your own explanation of events and context along with your chosen quotes.

What better way to start than by analyzing Vivekananda?

"Life is the struggle of a being to grow and develop mentally, physically and spiritually, under circumstances that often ordain to prevent it from doing so."

The most universally accepted definition of life, for those who know it. I have yet to find a more sound and simple meaning to the oft-echoed 'what is life' trope.

An encouragement to all to peruse the works of Vivekananda.

“I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.”

J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

I just love this quote from the catcher in the rye

Edited by Lugruf