Blind Nuzlocke Obituary

Teh_Creep

I've heard of this game a few times. From what I gathered, it's a difficult, dark, gritty Pokemon game. So, I decided that there was only one course of action to take: Nuzlocke it. I'm starting out with no knowledge of anything in this game. I've done a few nuzlocke runs in Blaze Black, though, and I'm sure this is way easier... right?
I modified the typical nuzlocke rules to make it more enjoyable and slightly less difficult for going in cold.
Rules:
  1. When a Pokemon faints, it dies. No mercy. A proper funeral is madatory.
  2. Can only capture one of each Pokemon. Call me crazy, but I like to give a personality and story to each Pokemon I use. I find that it becomes much less enjoyable if I have two Butterfees on my team because they aren't as unique.
  3. I can only catch the first Pokemon in each unique area, excluding gift pokemon. This changed quite a bit in the first few minutes of the game, but this is how I'm ruling it now: In Lower Peridot, I can catch one Pokemon outside randomly, then I can also catch one in an alley, as well as a fishing spot, then in any houses I find, and then all the free Pokemon I can gather (like that one Pachirisu I found being bullied by a bunch of punks). I may limit to three per region or something if I ever find myself with too many Pokemon.
  4. No sacrifices. I will always try to keep every Pokemon alive. Every Pokemon deserves a fair chance.
  5. The run isn't over until every Pokemon dies. That way, after my main team dies, I have to lead a team of underdogs from my PC in a last ditch effort to defeat the gym leader. It feels a lot more dramatic, tense, and tragic for me.
  6. Every Pokemon needs a nickname.
  7. Randomized started. This time, I got Squirtle.

Obituary:

SESSION 1

Princess

3DgCF68.png

I'm sad that Princess was the first to die. She had so much promise. I remember finding her in that abandoned house. She practically pounced on me when she smelled my pokesnax. Echoed Voice would have been amazing for a huge gym sweep!

Sadly, Fern's Budew killed her with Mega Drain. I used a ludicrous amount of potions in that fight hoping he might eventually run out of PP. He did, but not before slaughtering Princess.

I'm going to regret this later, I can tell. I'm gonna miss her.

Private Eye Hoo

ZBFz5UM.png

PI Hoo was my first catch, but he ended up being the reason why I was able to reliably so many Pokemon. His hypnosis was surprisingly accurate, and his speed was second to none. But it all went wrong when a Poochyena jumped out at me from the shadows of an alley. Poor Hoo never even landed his hypnosis. In the end, it was all for naught as the Poochyena died to confusion.

I was pretty hyped for Hoo to get better as time went on. I dreamed he might one day become the avenger of Princess, sweeping Fern like an over-leveled Squirtle in an easy rock gym. I'm gonna miss him.

Tiger

a3vwZOu.png

The death of Tiger was the most frustrating yet.

It happened while making my way through Team Meteor's HQ with Fern. None of my Pokemon were effective against these rock, steel, and poison types. Tiger was especially ineffective with her horn attack. I knew I should have brought Whiskers, my Squirtle starter, but Tiger had been my most reliable Pokemon. It had been raining all day, and Swift Swimmer had allowed her to sweep through every trainer I battled.

At the final battle in Meteor HQ, Tiger took two psywaves. This alone probable could have killed her on the spot, but the fact that both attacks had crit just rubbed salt into the wound.

I refused to accept her death for a while, leaving her in the box, but I eventually realized it was time for her to go.

Thank you, Tiger, for all the clutch saves at the start. I'm gonna miss her.

Rabbitrash

VN68ERg.png

This was absolutely my fault. I'm so sorry Rabbitrash. If I had just been a better trainer, none of this would have happened.

I was surprised when the Voltorb used sonic boom. It was an honest mistake to switch out my low health Pokemon. But when I kept switching out, I don't know what I was thinking. I suppose I thought I had no other choice.

I kept switching in and out until I had 6 Pokemon liable to die in one hit. Why didn't I just potion? I could have prevented your death with one potion.

Thinking back on it, your toxic spikes seem perfect for a gym battle. I could just potion you while each of their Pokemon slowly died to poison. Hindsight it always 20/20, though.

I'm so sorry Rabbitrash. I hate losing Pokemon to my stupid mistakes. I'm gonna miss you, bro...

END OF SESSION 1

Basically, session 2 and 3 can be easily summed up in one word: Grinding. I honestly didn't expect this game to be so grindy. It seems like I can only go up to level 20 right now, based on the little girl's Snubbul from the first pokecenter, but it takes so long to try and get to lvl 20 that I'm thinking the gym might be lvl 15 or something. Actually, maybe I can go up to lvl 19... I really should talk to that girl again.

Then again, there really just aren't many good grinding spots for getting XP. In the alleyways, the Trubbishes are poisonous, the Skitties might have pursuit, the Poochyenas use howl, sometimes the Trubbishes scare the living trash out of me with Aftermath, and both the Poochyenas and the Skitties have sand attack, making grinding a bit dangerous. I refuse to even try getting XP in the garden or the pool because I feel bad. I have a general fear of the bats underground using supersonic and ruining my day. So I guess I'll just keep grinding lvl 10 alleyway strays...

Well, in any case, I should probably show my current gym team. Think of it as an obituary prediction.

Gym Team:

XWUVPIT.png

Adorabolical is hopefully going to be amazing. Her Volt Absorb could sweep the gym. Sadly, I think there might be a lot of Explode, Self-Destruct, and Sonic Boom due to the heavy Voltorb theme. But, if any other electric types are thrown in the mix, Adorabolical could sweep.

az9ivmL.png

Kri is there mostly there just in case she throws out a Joltik or something. If nothing else, she could do some insane Fury Cutting.

A06HC55.png

I'm not sure how happiness works in Reborn. I've been running around the city a bunch and fighting a lot of low level battles, but it seems that Suidew just doesn't want to evolve. The Mega Drain could be useful if she throws out a Stunfisk, which is possible since there's a desert behind that one train door. Stun Spore could supply some nice paralysis (if that even works on electric types in Reborn). Growth might help me sweep, if possible. Also, grass is resistant to electric, and the poison type provides a very useful immunity to poison.

SLX3HSo.pngz8MRRem.png

The Poison Pals are probably my best chance of beating the gym. Ozzy's Disable or Stink's Yawn could put an end to any Sonic Boom, Explode, or Self-Destruct strats. Plus, they have high HP, which provides a good buffer against Sonic Boom spam while they just toss poison at the leader's Pokemon.

zwOIN5U.png

Kikarizu is there just in case she pulls out a Magnemite or something else steel.

TsTvlG5.png

I might swap Kikarizu for Heart String, because she should learn Venoshock at some point, which could be fantastic in tandem with Stink.

Yawn -> Poison Gas -> Switch to Heart String -> Venoshock until they're dead. Rinse and repeat. I could bring in Ozzy if necessary to get some disable on the Sonic Booms.

EDIT: This isn't as cool as I thought. I just remembered that Sleep and Poisoned don't stack ;-; Still pretty solid, though.

Now, I just need to do a bunch more grinding 'til I hit level 19. Then, I probably have to buy some common candies for the gym just in case they level up while I'm battling the other trainers.

Edited by Teh_Creep

• Developers

Well, you're certainly brave. I've played through Reborn twice and I very seriously doubt I could pull off a Nuzlocke, let alone if I had've done one blind... With all the foreknowledge in the world I always wipe on the early gym leaders. And the middle gym leaders. And the later gym leader. I wipe a lot.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this goes for you and I'm VERY definitely rootin' for ya. While there aren't many tips I can give you without ruining the blindness, I can think of three big ones:

-Explore everywhere, talk to everyone. As you seem to have already realised, there's a reasonable number of event/gift pokemon which can be very useful for your style of nuzlocke.

-Pay SERIOUS attention to the machines at the beginning of each gym, the ones that substitute for the gym guy. You can get a lot of warning and important information about the leader fight, as well as any field you may have to fight on. Oh, and watching TV can give you further hints and warnings.

-Take a look at your trainer card, it lets you know what level cap you're currently working with.

And, of course, good luck!

Edited by Marcello

Well, you're certainly brave.

I wouldn't call it brave. I'd say it's probably a mix of ignorance and arrogance.

-Explore everywhere, talk to everyone. As you seem to have already realised, there's a reasonable number of event/gift pokemon which can be very useful for your style of nuzlocke.

This is definitely something I think is really awesome about Reborn. It really rewards exploration. No matter where I wandered off to, it never really felt pointless because I always found something cool, learned something new, or both. When I discovered that the city changed over time, it gave me even more reason to search every nook and cranny for loot. The Pansear blew my mind.

I know there are still a bunch of gift Pokemon I haven't caught yet, and I'm super hyped to hunt for them.

And, of course, good luck!

Thanks! I might need it. Also, thanks for not giving any spoilers! :D

Edited by Teh_Creep

If you're really masochistic, maybe you can try the hardcore mod :P

About the mechanics, it's gen 6 mechanics, so you can increase the happiness of your Budew by walking, it's just really long. And yes, try to keep your pokemons at least one level under the limit, otherwise they may reach lvl 21 during the battle and it's a very good way to lose a pokemon.

Where are you in the story ? Have you met a girl named Florinia ? If no, maybe you can do this :

go to the gym now

(It's not really a spoiler, but if you want to go really blind...)

I hope you will succeed, but honestly I don't think you'll reach the 3rd badge

SESSION 3

If you're really masochistic, maybe you can try the hardcore mod :P

I might have to, because this gym was WAY too easy!

I expected a challenge, but all I got was a cake walk. It was my level 19 Pokemon up against her level 12 Pokemon, making it an easy win despite clear mistakes on my part. The entire gym was a breeze.

I was actually kinda sad that the gym wasn't more difficult. I prepared so much because I expected that I would need drag myself naked across a sea of electrified barbed wire and nitroglycerin in order get that badge. I'm not sure what the level caps are for if they're not to keep the battle fair.

I hope you will succeed, but honestly I don't think you'll reach the 3rd badge

I'm sure it will become harder as I go, but if this first gym is any indication, I'm headed straight to the Elite Four in no time.

END OF SESSION 3

Edited by Teh_Creep

Well, if I remember correctly the level of the first gym has been reduced in E15 to avoid overleveling problems for the second gym. People used to train up to the level cap to fight Julia, then had to use common candies before Florinia because they earned to much xp. And the first gym is supposed to be a simple training, Florinia should be harder (even though a team filled with bugs and poison types should help).

If you're interested in the hardcore mod, it should be somewhere in the forum, I don't remember which section. But you better try the second gym before switching to hard mode, because the hardcore worth it's name (or maybe it's because I did it with a mono dragon with just a Deino and a Noibat the beginning...)

Well, if I remember correctly the level of the first gym has been reduced in E15 to avoid overleveling problems for the second gym.

Wait, then why wasn't the level cap lowered? Oh well. Also, the reply got a tiny bit spoilery. Try not to mention too much about type effectiveness in gyms or even the names of gym leaders :P I want to keep getting completely surprised by everything I see.

Wait, then why wasn't the level cap lowered? Oh well. Also, the reply got a tiny bit spoilery. Try not to mention too much about type effectiveness in gyms or even the names of gym leaders :P I want to keep getting completely surprised by everything I see.

Sorry, I was sure her type was already know. I'll be more careful next time

All the best to you. You'll certainly need all of Fate's blessings in this delightful world of savagery and grim death.

In a lighter vein, I recommend talking to everyone, even the most random looking people, and interacting with every rock or barrel you see. You'll find a surprising number of secret items and side quests that can reward the treasure-hunter!

And one good idea is to never slacken in Reborn. If ever you come across a complicated puzzle or seemingly unnecessary or pointless path or route, it'll usually be worth your while to investigate them thoroughly. Also, do not let you guard down; there's a reason the first gym is only the first gym!

Well, the best advice I can think to give you is to be VERY CAREFUL with how much you grind. I don't know if the game has mentioned it to you yet, but it's very important to know, that not every badge will raise your level cap. I find that if you fight EVERY trainer you can find then you probably won't have to do much grinding after like the 3rd gym ( though, sense you're doing a nuzlock you'll obviously have to do some grinding to get new mon's on par with the rest of your team ). And don't worry about it being to easy, it gets harder. Much harder ( laughs evilly to self ).

You're mad aren't you? Doing a Nuzlock in Reborn seems like utter insanity to me... My best advice (aside from stopping while you and everything you love is still alive) would to keep your levels down, and be ready to grind for some of the harder gyms. Of all of the gyms, I was only able to beat one on my first try, and this was with a semi optimized team, so be very, very careful. Besides that, I can't really give you any other advice, besides for going for event Pokemon. Good luck, because you're going to need it.

I should mention that, later on, there is going to be a battle you are supposed to LOSE. While it IS possible to win, the fact that it is meant to be lost means that, well, winning without losses is virtually impossible, and the possibility of a TPK (which, again, does NOT cause the usual black-out-go-back-to-Pokemon-center thing, as you are expected to lose here) is very real. I wonder how THAT is going to play into your Nuzlocke plans.