Fire Emblem-inspired custom abilities

I really don't know where to put this, but this is where my last such question was put, so...I guess I'll put it here, and an admin can move it if need be.

I have coded some abilities in my game, all inspired by skills found in Fire Emblem: Awakening and returning in Fates. All of these skills, with the exception of the last two, have a chance to be Delta Bronzor/Bronzong's hidden ability (which one it is depends on an algorithm run on the pokemon's personality value), but I thought other Pokemon might enjoy these abilities. My game has a system where each species can have up to two HAs, so I don't need to overwrite the existing, official HAs.

Please note that I'm looking for suggestions in the form of specific species. I include my personal thoughts on what Pokemon they might be good on, but I personally don't know what Pokemon fills which niche, and I also don't have much competitive knowledge, so might be completely wrong on what Pokemon they fit best.

Astra - In Fire Emblem, this skill triggers (Skill/2)% percent of the time, and allows the user to turn a single strike into five strikes, each doing half the damage that a single strike would have done. Because this would be more broken in the right hands than Parental Bond, this ability has been seriously nerfed, but the spirit is still there.

The ability Astra triggers (Speed/8)% of the time, and makes it so that single-target, single-strike moves become single-target, five-strike moves, each strike doing one quarter the damage a single strike would do.

Ignis - This ability does almost exactly what the FE equivalent does, minus an alteration due to stats existing in FE but not in Pokemon. When using a damaging move, the Pokemon has a (Speed/4)% chance of adding half of the unused attack stat - i.e., SpAtk for physical moves, Attack for special moves - to the used attack stat when damage calculation is being performed.

I imagine this ability would be really good for mixed attackers, or for Pokemon where their base Attack is higher but their movepool includes a larger number of Special attacks (or vice versa).

Armsthrift - Again, this ability is identical to the FE counterpart, aside from mechanics differences. The Pokemon has a (Level/4)% chance of not expending PP when using a move. If triggered, it cancels out Pressure as well.

Honestly, I can see almost any Pokemon benefiting from this ability, as it effectively makes PP-stalling harder to perform on the Pokemon.

Vengeance - This one comes with its own funny story. In FE:A, this skill triggers (Skill*2)% of the time. With my established-by-now formula for converting FE stats into Pokemon stats, that would be (Speed/2)% chance of triggering. When coding the skill, I decided that was a little too much, so I changed it to (3*Speed/8)% of the time. At the time, I didn't know that Intelligent Systems had also decided to nerf the skill in FE:f, to triggering (Skill*1.5)% of the time, exactly the same nerf I had given it.

When this skill triggers - (Speed*3/8)% of the time - half of the amount of damage the user has taken so far in the battle is added directly to the amount of damage the move will do. This happens after type effectiveness and other modifiers are applied, and the only thing that can stack on top of this is the move being a critical hit.

This ability is likely good for a Pokemon that is a natural wall, one who can take a lot of hits and still survive, but that can also make use of damaging moves.

Lifetaker - When conditions are right, this ability always triggers. Unlike the other ones, this one does not have a random chance of happening.

Triggering at the same time as Moxie (i.e., when the user successfully causes an opponent to faint), this ability restores a quarter of the user's maximum HP. In FE, the skill of the same name restores half of the max HP, but in Pokemon that might be a bit too much.

Thematically, I can see this ability matching the Zubat and Seviper lines really well.

Pavise - If the opponent is using a Physical move, (Speed/4)% of the time, cuts the amount of damage dealt in half.

Aegis - If the opponent is using a Special move, (Speed/4)% of the time, cuts the amount of damage dealt in half.

These two abilities are counterparts, as they are in FE.

The second-to-last one, which currently is only found on Delta Chimecho.

Rightful King - when in a Double Battle, if the user's Ally has any of the abilities above (except Lifetaker), then the chance that the ability will trigger increases by a solid 10%. This means that Pavise and Aegis would trigger ((Speed/4)+10)% of the time.

And the last one, which doesn't have any home at all yet:

Trust (name changed from Nohrian Trust since Nohr isn't a thing in the Pokeverse) - When sent out in a Double Battle, this Pokemon copies its ally's ability, akin to how Trace copies the user's opponent's ability.

I could see this one being more viable than Trace, since you have direct control of what ability to give the Pokemon.

Oh my. These aren't going in Entropy, are they? They will, won't they?

I would hope you distribute these abilities well. Or else I might haphazardly make a horribly unbalanced team just to add all these abilities to my roster.

No seriously. I would do that.

(In Insurgence, I have literally no coverage for Poison because I was obsessed with filling my team with Deltas.)

Yeah, I'll probably get myself in trouble with these... :x

Woah.

These are all broken as HELL! Even though they don't proc all the time, the mere chance of them existing changes things drastically.

The only thing I think is not game-shattering is the PP saving one. That feature actually exists in the Mystery Dungeon series as an IQ skill.

Ignis Mixed Infernape and Salamemce though? And that Vengeance if on a thing like TankChomp?

Shudders.

Edited by Viridescent

Woah.

These are all broken as HELL! Even though they don't proc all the time, the mere chance of them existing changes things drastically.

The only thing I think is not game-shattering is the PP saving one. That feature actually exists in the Mystery Dungeon series as an IQ skill.

Ignis Mixed Infernape and Salamemce though? And that Vengeance if on a thing like TankChomp?

Shudders.

This is actually the reason I want help with what to put these on. Sure, if you slap Ignis on a Salamence it would become deadly AF, but slapping it on, say, a Poliwrath might merely bump it up a tier or two.

dude imagine if there was a killing item that you could equip that would increase the chance of you getting a crit by 30% how broken would that be. or if you want it to be a little less broken you could just have it be an attack. Killing Edge seems to be a fun attack and so long as the base power isn't too high, maybe 50 or 60, it would be interesting to see how that plays out

dude imagine if there was a killing item that you could equip that would increase the chance of you getting a crit by 30% how broken would that be. or if you want it to be a little less broken you could just have it be an attack. Killing Edge seems to be a fun attack and so long as the base power isn't too high, maybe 50 or 60, it would be interesting to see how that plays out

Or you could just make Pokefusion a thing and have Mega Gallade hold an Aegislash and slice everything up. How's that for brokenness?

If you want to do that, the base power is 70 on FE:A, but to make it balanced it would have to have like 30 or 40 bp like Frost Breath, or it can be a renamed slash attack

If you want to do that, the base power is 70 on FE:A, but to make it balanced it would have to have like 30 or 40 bp like Frost Breath, or it can be a renamed slash attack

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Leaf Blade, where it has 90 bp and high-crit rate, so not 100% chance like frost breath but stronger of course not 90 bp strong, so maybe like a steel-type slash

Edited by Tempo17

Aether and Luna could be considered >.>

I did consider Aether and Luna. My issue with them is the difference in how damage is calculated in FE and Pokemon. In FE, "cutting the opponent's Defense in half" just changes up how much damage you do, and is more useful against opponents with high Defense. In Pokemon, it directly translates to "double the amount of damage you do".

And then Aether would just be a buffed Parental Bond.

How about Sol for Solrock and Espeon, since they are both "Sun Pokemon?" I would say Volcarona too, but Volc already has Roost and Giga Drain and it has no need for that.

Solrock already has a new gimmick. If I made Espeon have a second HA, I'd have to give one to each and every one of my Eeveeloutions. Considering my game has one for each and every type...

I honestly don't know how I'd pull off Sol, anyway.

Galeforce

When this Pokemon defeats an opponent - it will deal scaling Flying-type damage to the next Pokemon being switched in.

Essentially a ONE TIME flying type Entry-Hazard upon defeating an opposing Pokemon - scales like stealth rock (normal = 1/8th of MaxHP - single weakness = 1/4th of Max HP etc.)

Possible Pokemon:

Flying types ONLY! - maybe Megas only (Mega Fearow, Mega Crobat)

Thought Process:

Galeforce allows you to take another turn upon defeating an enemy, and with that another attack in the same turn on another enemy. Since Pokemon doesn't support extra-turns, I settled with dealing damage upon switching in.

Even Rythm and Odd Rythm

On Turns with an even Number - the Pokemon passively gains an accuracy and evasion boost by one stage (Even Rhythm)

On Turns with an odd Number - the Pokemon passively gains an accuracy and evasion boost by one stage (Odd Rhythm)

Even Rhythm Bonus turns: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 ...

Odd Rhythm Bonus turns: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 ...

Possible Pokemon:

Spinda

Mime Jr.

Pokemon associated with dancing

Galeforce

When this Pokemon defeats an opponent - it will deal scaling Flying-type damage to the next Pokemon being switched in.

Essentially a ONE TIME flying type Entry-Hazard upon defeating an opposing Pokemon - scales like stealth rock (normal = 1/8th of MaxHP - single weakness = 1/4th of Max HP etc.)

Possible Pokemon:

Flying types ONLY! - maybe Megas only (Mega Fearow, Mega Crobat)

Thought Process:

Galeforce allows you to take another turn upon defeating an enemy, and with that another attack in the same turn on another enemy. Since Pokemon doesn't support extra-turns, I settled with dealing damage upon switching in.

I've been debating on how to incorporate Galeforce for a while now - especially since a lot of the time I mistype Gale Wings as Gale Force. This seems better than anything I planned. Basically, when the user kills an enemy, place an invisible entry hazard on the field, that after damaging the next foe, disappears.

Even Rhythm and Odd Rhythm

On Turns with an even Number - the Pokemon passively gains an accuracy and evasion boost by one stage (Even Rhythm)

On Turns with an odd Number - the Pokemon passively gains an accuracy and evasion boost by one stage (Odd Rhythm)

Even Rhythm Bonus turns: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 ...

Odd Rhythm Bonus turns: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 ...

Possible Pokemon:

Spinda

Mime Jr.

Pokemon associated with dancing

I've considered Even Rhythm and Odd Rhythm before, but I feel like they would be too easy to make OP. After all, Protect, attack with Even Rhythm boost, Protect, attack, Protect, attack, ad nauseam..

Ignis:

This needs to be put on something that gets a bonus from it, but not too much. Something with high mixing potential (or just high A/Sa) [i-Ape, Mence, T-tar, Zoroark, etc] would be a HORRIBLE choice due the severe buff. Frame of reference: Zoroark has 115 base speed for a ~28% chance of adding half of its base 105 attack to its base 120 Satk. NOPE

Similarly, it can't be put on something that is ill-portioned in the three key stats (=<100 in main attack, 50-80 in off attack, 40-80 speed, preferred) as it loses its niche if it never activates, or just doesn't do anything worthwhile.

By (mostly) just base stats (and access to the usual OP stat-raisers), I can recommend:

Vileplume/Bellossom

Poliwrath/Politoed

Dewgong

Electrode (activates a lot, but it only makes it do slightly above average damage with iffy coverage)

Umbreon (Sol on Espeon seems .001% more likely now)

Magcargo wants it, but is really slow.

Delcatty

Whiscash

Drifblim

Watchog

Garbodor

Diggersbytho

Slurpuff

Carbink

Klefki

Stats, and some thematics:

Mightyena: It chases down prey in a pack of around ten. They defeat foes with perfectly coordinated teamwork.

Ignis comes from the greater form of the Tactician class, and the entries for Mightyena line up well.

Dusknoir: The antenna on its head captures radio waves from the world of spirits that command it to take people there.

More on the receiving end of commands, but command-related nonetheless

Rotom (natural): It have a light blue, electrical aura around its body. Ignis has a blue sprite. FLAWLESS LOGIC. Seriously, though, it matched up well enough to go here instead. (just a trifle fast for me)

Final thoughts:

Mightyena, Dusknoir, and Rotom seem like the best fits in my opinion. If only one is getting Ignis, Mightyena, unless it already is getting something else.

Might look at the others another time.

Edited by Cobalt996

Final thoughts:

Mightyena, Dusknoir, and Rotom seem like the best fits in my opinion. If only one is getting Ignis, Mightyena, unless it already is getting something else.

Might look at the others another time.

I just gave it to all three of them. I need to figure out an ability to give the appliance Rotoms now.

have you thought about adding more fates skills as well. Quixotic would be interesting(basically it would be a serene grace+accuracy boost to both you and your enemy). Amaterasu(heals 20% of ally health at the beginning of the turn if right next to them which in a double battle would be 100% of the time) Seal strength/magic/def/resistance/speed(lower the opponent's respective stats by 2 stages for 1 turn or just 1 stage if you don't want it to be too op also it shouldn't stack so the opponent would only receive the debuff every other turn) Air Superiority (increase hit/evasion when fighting flying type pokemon) also other ideas, Gamble (decrease your accuracy by 1 stage, increase you crit-hit ratio 1 stage) Vantage (when at 1/2 health gets +1 priority, could be really useful for those slow pokemon) Aptitude(increase the EV values when training or just a general increase in exp)

Edited by Tempo17

have you thought about adding more fates skills as well. Quixotic would be interesting(basically it would be a serene grace+accuracy boost to both you and your enemy). Amaterasu(heals 20% of ally health at the beginning of the turn if right next to them which in a double battle would be 100% of the time) Seal strength/magic/def/resistance/speed(lower the opponent's respective stats by 2 stages for 1 turn or just 1 stage if you don't want it to be too op also it shouldn't stack so the opponent would only receive the debuff every other turn) Air Superiority (increase hit/evasion when fighting flying type pokemon) also other ideas, Gamble (decrease your accuracy by 1 stage, increase you crit-hit ratio 1 stage) Vantage (when at 1/2 health gets +1 priority, could be really useful for those slow pokemon) Aptitude(increase the EV values when training or just a general increase in exp)

Let's see if I can break this down:

- I've actually altered No Guard a bit to make it akin to Quixotic. If a Fire Emblem ability user goes against an opponent with No Guard, then their skill's proc rate is increased by 15. But now that you mention it I might add a Quixotic to be more like a balanced Serene Grace.

- I've considered Amaterasu. I'm not sure if I will add it. It's pretty balanced, but also very niche - moreso than M-Audino's Healer.

- I probably won't do the Seal skills.

- Air Superiority might be okay, but in order to make it balanced I'd need to make one for each type, not just Flying.

- We technically already have Gamble in the Pokemon universe. It's just called Hustle.

- I've considered Vantage, but like Galeforce I'm having issues on how I want to translate it. Sure, it could be +1 priority if below half health, but, I don't know, you could still run into priority moves.

- Aptitude the way you describe it is Pokerus. Would you want it to stack with Pokerus?

Let's see if I can break this down:

- I've actually altered No Guard a bit to make it akin to Quixotic. If a Fire Emblem ability user goes against an opponent with No Guard, then their skill's proc rate is increased by 15. But now that you mention it I might add a Quixotic to be more like a balanced Serene Grace.

- I've considered Amaterasu. I'm not sure if I will add it. It's pretty balanced, but also very niche - moreso than M-Audino's Healer.

- I probably won't do the Seal skills.

- Air Superiority might be okay, but in order to make it balanced I'd need to make one for each type, not just Flying.

- We technically already have Gamble in the Pokemon universe. It's just called Hustle.

- I've considered Vantage, but like Galeforce I'm having issues on how I want to translate it. Sure, it could be +1 priority if below half health, but, I don't know, you could still run into priority moves.

- Aptitude the way you describe it is Pokerus. Would you want it to stack with Pokerus?

well since pokerus is so rare it would be nice to have that also since that ability would be kinda useless after a pokemon has maxed out their ev we could also do an increase in exp gained by 1.1 or 1.2 so that it would be a little bit more useful

well since pokerus is so rare it would be nice to have that also since that ability would be kinda useless after a pokemon has maxed out their ev we could also do an increase in exp gained by 1.1 or 1.2 so that it would be a little bit more useful

So, I've looked at the code for stat calculation. What do you think about making it so that Aptitude Pokemon get a stat boost of EV/3 instead of EV/4? It wouldn't make things too OP - full EVs would boost a stat by 84 at level 100 instead of by 63, sure, but it comes at the price of any other ability the Pokemon has - and it would capture the spirit of Aptitude. It would also make those last two points in the 510 EV total actually have a use - since you'd want 252/252/6, not 252/252/4

Obviously we wouldn't give it to something high up in the tier list already, since 21 points is a lot.

Edited by Rot8er_ConeX