Magus's Japan and the Navy AMA

Magus

So I have been gone for quite some time now, only porting in to Yokosuka a few days ago, and I have to say Japan is best place ever. I can nerd on how there is anime is used heavily for advertisement, or the sushi and ramen being so good. But rather than that, I'll let you guys ask me anything about Japan. Or if you are interested in navy life I'll be more than happy to tell you guys what life is like on a ship, work hours, whatever you guys might be interested in.

1) Afaik, there are like lots of festivals going over there in Japan and there are some magnificent shrines and historical sites, did you take part in the festivals they had there? Did you have fun?

2) What do you do for leisure when you are off duty on the ship?

There some upcoming now that it is getting warmer. There is a tour coming up in May on the Tsuruga Castle. As for my free time I normally go Tokyo in Akiabra and hit the arcades. I went maid cafe' last week, and of course any conventions, like the anime one 3 weeks ago.

That is one of the most geologically unstable places on Earth though...

I believe the cherry blossoms are beautiful? I've never been to Japan, and the closest thing to a cherry blossom I've ever seen is an Apricot orchard in bloom up north in Himachal. It was awesome, but I hear the cherry blossom experience is something else entirely. Have you seen it?

Hello! Being a sailor sounds interesting.. How did the navy affect your life as a whole? Is it quite difficult to be one? Do you explore very often? If so, how does it feel to go around to many places? I think that's pretty cool, honestly. c:

And oh, that's you in your avi right? Obviously not the one who's cosplaying.. x.x

Hello! Being a sailor sounds interesting.. How did the navy affect your life as a whole? Is it quite difficult to be one? Do you explore very often? If so, how does it feel to go around to many places? I think that's pretty cool, honestly. c:

And oh, that's you in your avi right? Obviously not the one who's cosplaying.. x.x

The navy overall has done miracles for me. At the end of high school, I didn't have the resources to go to college, and I really didn't want to be a student. I get to work on radars and satellites, honestly the coolest job. Also it feels great to explore the world, as for my avi, yeah I am the guy, that was the best Saber at the convention. Next year I am going as subzero and my friend is going as scorpion. Japanese people love American things.

How crazy crowded are the streets during mid day just walking around?

Tokyo at 1700 is ridiculous, they even have people who pack people into trains. Think of the opening trailor to Persona 5 it is like that.

Ah the navy i have family within the navy, tho everytime we ask them what he's been up to he tells us he would have to kill us U_U

so whats your job on the ship?

ET (Electronics Technician) basically I fix radars and comms systems. I really enjoy the work, even though the hours are the worst and you can get woken up at night when things go down.

That's cool to hear! At least you're having fun with what you're doing. That's the best part. And oh, nice. Hopefully you'll post photos of that too. Hope your trip goes well and safe!

That's cool to hear! At least you're having fun with what you're doing. That's the best part. And oh, nice. Hopefully you'll post photos of that too. Hope your trip goes well and safe!

I have lots of pictures to share, I went to Pokemon center Yokohama, which was very cool. Got some battles too and won quite a few games.

Edited by Magus

Hey there, man! It's been some time indeed, haha! Glad to see that the nautical life is doing some good things for the both of us! Gotta say, living somewhere like Japan for your job sounds pretty exotic. Glad you got a duty station that you can love. And ET, huh? I've got quite a few friends in the submarine force who are comms guys and your job definitely sounds intriguing! I myself just listen to dolphins and merchants all day and try to not crash the boat, haha. I'm a decent bit jealous of the fact that you'll definitely see more the world than I will, but Washington has been a pretty rad place so far in it's own right. As someone who hasn't seen much of my own country but quite a few "foreign lands", the entire experience has been somewhat eye opening and rewarding, haha.

So hey, I've got a few questions for you shipmate, haha:

1. Do you plan to be a career sailor or just ride out the first contract?

2. What's your average work day amount to?

3. I understand that the restrictions placed on us "E-Trash" in Japan are somewhat harsh. Is this true and what are they exactly, if so?

4. It sounds like you're having a blast, and that makes me truly happy. Though our experiences in this life differ quite a bit, how "changed" do you feel from the whole thing?

Anyways, that's just my few queries, haha. It's great talking to you again, that's for sure!