SAT/ACT Thread

Is it true that the practice ACT is harder than the actual ACT??

Depends on where the practice is from. The ACT practice tests from The Official ACT Guide are pretty similar to the real one. However, most companies such as The Princeton Review and Barron's create harder practice tests compared to the real thing.

Any advice on how to take the SAT/ACT and which one to take? I want to show on these standardized tests that I speak French, so that's why I'm not sure which one to take.

The biggest difference between the SAT and ACT is the depth and time of the material. The SAT tests three (now two) sections, Math and Reading, while the ACT tests 4 (or 5), English, Math, Reading, Science, and an optional Writing section (which you really should take, otherwise it makes you look lazy). The SAT gives you more time, but the wording can be confusing. The ACT gives you less time, but most questions are pretty straightforward.

You can't directly show your proficiency in French on the SAT or ACT, but you can take an SAT Subject Test. An SAT Subject Test evaluates your ability on a single topic, such as French, Spanish, Physics, etc. The French Subject Test consists of 85 multiple choice questions and lasts for about an hour. It's supposed to be really easy for native speakers (not sure if you are or not). You can take a SAT Subject Test regardless of whether you take the SAT or ACT.

Edited by TaciturnPhoenix

If anyone needs some motivation, I'm happy to say that I had little trouble for my tests, and now am happily in college. Just study, study, study, and you will end up fine. I believe in you!

@TaciturnPhoenix: Yes, I am a native speaker. Like I said, I'm French. Also, thanks your input, now it kinda makes my decision a little easier! :)

No problem. Good Luck on whichever exam you take!

Is it true that the tests change every year? Cause I took the sats last year, and I bought this big ass book to study. Would said book be inaccurate to the new sat tests? (I am not taking it this year, I just want to know for future reference)

The format of the SATs don't change every year, but they did this year. The Old SAT Study Guide will still work, but for the reading section I would focus only on passage based questions because sentence completion questions have been removed. Also, even though this may seem a little strange, try practicing ACT Science sections. It will help you get used to the analytical nature of the SAT Math section (especially if you struggle with Math).

The format of the SATs don't change every year, but they did this year. The Old SAT Study Guide will still work, but for the reading section I would focus only on passage based questions because sentence completion questions have been removed. Also, even though this may seem a little strange, try practicing ACT Science sections. It will help you get used to the analytical nature of the SAT Math section (especially if you struggle with Math).

Taking the SAT THIS SATURDAY, please send help. t-minus 60 hrs welp

To better answer this question, basically it's what you said, plus a few other minor test-as-a-whole changes. For instance, the "getting-it-wrong" penalty is now removed, so guessing is smart no matter what. Additionally, they made the essay optional, and colleges get to decide whether it's required or not. I'm applying to the higher half of the Uni's of California and they all require it, but it's probably important to take it anyways. The essay itself is COMPLETELY overhauled, requiring you to read a passage and analyze "strategies the author used to persuade his/her audience." Time is doubled and now they have 3 criteria bands. Math is practically the same, though.

When I took the SAT (about 5 years ago), it had 3 parts: Math, Grammar, Literature (Reading)

You can easily ace in Math and Grammar, but Literature questions had a confusing wording, at least for a person who is not a native speaker.

Then you can take the SAT-II, which have specific subjects, and are often asked (or considered a bonus) by the uni you'll apply to.

I took Math I, Math II, and Science. I managed to 800/800 to all of them, so if you're inclinded towards those subjects, just remember to study a lot and practice. That's all there is to it.