Trial #1345: The existence of the entity known as Santa [Short story]

Felicity

• Support Squad

The bright orange door opens with a dull thud. Jimmy Hallis, age 7, first (and only) member of the Jimmy Hallis law firm, walks in. Curly light blonde hair bouncing up and down as he walked to the centre of the courthouse, formerly the classroom of class 5A.

Jimmy takes a seat to the right of the judges seat, once Miss Harold's desk, with the opposition on his left. They are gathered here for one reason.

Judge Lucy stands and bangs her rubber gavel on the teachers desk.

"All rise"

Everyone except Harry Allan stands.

"All may sit. Except Harry. He has to stand."

Harry squawks in surprise. "Wot? No way, am not standing up for all this!"

Judge Lucy blows a raspberry at him. "Yes you are, I'm the judge so you gotta do what I say." Harry groans and stands.

Judge Lucy continues with the proceedings, reading her notes. After a second she throws them away. Too boring.

"So, Jimmy says Santa's real or summit. Katie says he don't. Uh, present your suitcases."

Alan Sanders, the bailiff, whispers in Lucy's ear.

"I mean just cases." Lucy blushes as the jury snickers.

Jimmy rises from his seat, clearing his throat to look lawyerly. So does the opposition, Katie Payne.

"Your honour I-"

"Jimmys ly-"

They both pause, surprised the other had dared to think they were first.

"Shuddup, I won rock paper scissors!" Jimmy cried.

"Don't matter, I called dibs before we did allo this anyway." Katie retorted. Jess Michaels nodded along behind her.

"Nuh-uh!"

"I did! Jess saw me do it!"

"You're lyin'!"

"Nuh-uh!"

Judge Lucy banged the rubber gavel again, squeaks grabbing the attention of everyone about to launch into an argument.

"Jess don't lie, Katie goes first."

"Noooo, that's not faaair!" Jimmy wailed as Katie thumbed her nose at him. Jimmy still sat down though. Not even his dad ignored what the judge said. Even if the judge was mean and stupid.

Katie cleared her throat. She flicked her ginger ponytail back victoriously as she began to speak.

"Exhibit A as to why Santa ain't real. Jimmy Hallis has been, wassat word?" She pauses, annoyed. Jess whispers in her ear. "Convicted before at least twice as a liar with pants on fire an' he nicked Harry's bag. He's lyin' now too, we can't trust him!" Katie's bold announcement sends waves of surreptitious murmuring from the jury. Katie herself turns and giggles with Jess, so proud of herself.

Judge Lucy nods along but Jimmy can't let this go unchallenged.

"Objection! Wot I said before ain't got nothin' to do with this! Plus I gave Harry his bag back AND got him a chocolate bar!" More murmuring. From the back of the room a standing Harry spoke up.

"It's true. It was a galaxy bar too. Thanks again Jimmy." He waved a small wave happily from the back of the room, smiling at his friend. Jimmy waved back, naturally.

"See? So Katie's bein' stupid and what I done before don't matter!"

"Shuddup!" Katie shrieks back. "You're probably lyin' again, got Harry to help you or summit!"

"No way!"

"Yeah way!"

"No way!"

"Yea-"

More squeaks. Lucy was getting annoyed.

"Shuddup you two! I know Jimmy ain't lyin', I gave him the chocolate!" Had she? "So it don't matter that he lied before. So stop arguing before I call Miss Harold!" he class erupted in a chorus of "Ooooooooooh" as the bickering duo were silenced by the judge's threat.

"Jimmy, you go." Lucy ordered. Katie tried to argue but a red faced Lucy slamming the gavel down in a torrent of squeals silenced her.

"My first bit of proof is my dog."

"Goldie?" Harry questioned. He was shifting from one foot to the other, clearly getting tired of standing still. Jimmy nodded and whistled. From outside a golden retriever trotted into the room. Everyone in the room sang in the same unison as before. "Awwwwwwwwwwwww~!" Goldie went over to Jimmy, who ruffled his pets fur playfully.

"I got Goldie on christmas." Jimmy started. He was interrupted by Katie though.

"Your mum an' dad probably got him for you." She jabbed. Jimmy just shook his head.

"Nuh-uh, see when I got him I got a card as well." Jimmy explained, his tone building before a he pulled something out of his pocket with a triumphant flourish. A crumpled, old christmas card with a cartoon reindeer was on the front. Jimym opened it and began to read triumphantly.

"To Jimmy. You've been a very good boy this year. So, s a special gift, I decided to get you a new friend. The Elves have been treating him really well so I hope you'll do the same. Love, Santa." The class gasped as the final word was read out.

"See, this card proves that not only can he write letters, he also has a nice and naughty list AND elves! It's proof it is!"

The situation was forgotten and the class rushed Jimmy. Most wanted to pet Goldie and just went along with it when a few other people wanted to go and see Jimmy's card. He wasn't lying! Santa was real! It was totally true! Even Katie and Jess were excited to get a look, completely forgetting they were meant to argue. When they had gone downstairs and saw their parents placing presents beneath the tree they had been heartbroken. They didn't like that.

That day all the children squealed with glee as they forgot the serious situation they had set up and let their imaginations run wild with dancing elves, prancing reindeer, singing snowmen and a jolly, red, lovable old giant.

It didn't matter that it was July.

• Support Squad

Cute...and surprisingly interesting...ah i mean no offense it's just that this type of stories is usually not my thing

Just saying you found it surprisingly interesting makes it a success.