Gen 5 Metagame Cores

Lord Emvee

I'm not sure if there was already a thread pertaining to this, but I didn't see it so I'll make a new one. I believe that if people understand about offensive and defensive cores in the 5th Gen metagame, it might help them improve their team building, battling, and perhaps themselves as an overall trainer. Before I begin, let me briefly talk about what defensive and offensive cores are. A defensive core is a pair of Pokemon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances as well as the ability to switch into attacking threats. Defensive cores have the ability to fend for each other in times of crisis, allowing it to stick around long enough to beat other teams (and many times consist of a physically defensive wall and a specially defensive wall). An offensive core on the other hand, is a pair of Pokémon that can fend off each other's type weaknesses and provide damaging results to opponent teams. Many offensive cores consist of a physical attacker and a special attacker, but those conditions vary upon type coordination. That is my perception on the two types of cores, and it has helped me become a very successful battler. Anyhow, consider the examples below (click spoilers).

Defensive Cores:

Skarmbliss:

This defensive duo, famously known as SkarmBliss, consists of a Pokemon that can take physical hits (Skarmory), and a Pokemon that can take special attacks (Blissey). Any special attacks aimed at Skarmory can be practically absorbed by Blissey (upon having a high Special Defense) stat, on the other hand, Skarmory takes the physical attacks Blissey hates and can set up Spikes to reduce an opponent's ability to switch around. Blissey can set up Stealth Rocks (paired with Skarmory's Spikes), to further damage any opponent's daring to switch their Pokemon. (Note: Movesets and EV's may vary)

227.gif

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Spikes

- Whirlwind

- Roost

- Brave Bird

242.gif

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Softboiled

- Seismic Toss

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heatran/Ferrothorn/Gliscor:

It's pretty obvious but it works hella well. Ferrothorn and Heatran set up hazards, phaze, and can threaten some Pokemon, such as those Fire weak, Grass weak, etc. Gliscor is a powerful phyiscal wall that neutralizes the fighting weakness and Ground weak/neutrality, being a physical wall is just great also in general considering the Specially defensive EVs of Ferrothorn and Heatran. The Gliscor set is a more defensive wall type but the also popular IceFang/EQ/SD/Taunt set can also work. (Note: Movesets and EV's may vary)

485.gif

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Earth Power

- Lava Plume

- Roar

- Stealth Rock

598.gif

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Spikes

- Leech Seed

- Protect

- Gyro Ball

472.gif

(Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb

Trait: Poison Heal

EVs: 184 HP / 40 Atk / 136 Def / 148 Spd

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Protect

- Fling

- Earthquake

- Acrobatics

(Core submitted by Bullet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cresselia/Porygon2

Although Cresselia functions as a defensive wall, it also makes a damn good Calm Mind sweeper. This set focuses on sharpening its lower SpDef stat so that it makes an all around Defensive Wall, but at the same time, strengthening its Special Attack to finish off enemies a lot easier. On the other hand, Porygon2 takes SpDef hits that would otherwise gnaw at Cresselia's HP (without having set up any Calm Minds at first). The two of them also cover each others' weaknesses (Ghost to Porygon2 and Fighting to Cresellia, bar Dark), however any damage taken can be easily recovered by Recover/Moonlight.

488.gif

Celestia (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Satk

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Moonlight

- Psyshock

- Ice Beam

233.gif

Analysis (Porygon2) @ Eviolite

Trait: Trace

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Satk / 216 SDef

- Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

- Recover

- Toxic

(Core submitted by Ikaru)

Offensive Cores:

Scrotom

This offensive duo composed of Rotom-W and Scizor, became merged into one and is now called Scrotom. It's such an effective core because despite the fact that Scizor provides Physical support and Rotom-W provides Special support, Fire moves that normally kill Scizor can be taken by Rotom-W, and any Grass moves aimed at Rotom-W can be taken by Scizor. They also have Volt-Turn capabilities, so if Rotom-W isn't fit to stay in, it can use Volt Switch and go into Scizor, and vice versa (with U-Turn). It's personally my most favorite core to use. (Note: Movesets and EV's may vary)

212.gif

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band

Trait: Technician

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- U-turn

- Bullet Punch

- Superpower

- Pursuit

479-wash.gif

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Hydro Pump

- Hidden Power [ice]

- Trick

Now, this is where everyone else comes in. You guys can post any other good cores you come up with. Any good ones I see will be added to the main post, along with the username of the one that posted it. They can be from any tier (UU, OU, Uber, etc). You should format it exactly how I did, with core name, a detailed description, and movesets.

If anyone has trouble reading it due to small text, hold down the ctrl button and scroll up with your mouse. This is mainly so that we can fit other well-thought cores people come up with and keep it closely organized. Nevertheless, I'm hopeing this will not only help you guys learn, but will help you act upon it. Good luck.

Edited by -Heroic-

I promise you that it isn't. Anyhow, perhaps you should post something more constructive next time, since after all the point of this thread is to try and help out people that need it, not to pose unnecessary off topic questions at it.

Also TBT is a wasteland.

Edited by -Heroic-

Just a few cores I've tried and have worked to some extent. Most of the EVs and moves are just sample sets, they can be extensively tinkered with.

OU:

Heatran/Ferrothorn/Gliscor(defensive)

(Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd

- Earth Power

- Flamethrower

- Roar

- Stealth Rock

(Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef

- Spikes

- Leech Seed

- Protect

- Gyro Ball

(Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb

Trait: Poison Heal

EVs: 184 HP / 40 Atk / 136 Def / 148 Spd

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Protect

- Fling

- Earthquake

- Acrobatics

description: It's pretty obvious but it works hella well. Ferrothorn and Heatran set up hazards, phaze, and can threaten some Pokemon, such as those Fire weak, Grass weak, etc. Gliscor is a powerful phyiscal wall that neutralizes the fighting weakness and Ground weak/neutrality, being a physical wall is just great also in general considering the Specially defensive EVs of Ferrothorn and Heatran. The Gliscor set is a more defensive wall type but the also popular IceFang/EQ/SD/Taunt set can also work.

Jellicent/Forretress/Chansey(defensive)

(Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Taunt

- Recover

- Will-O-Wisp

- Scald

note: Forry has 0 speed IV

(Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef

- Toxic Spikes

- Stealth Rock

- Rapid Spin

- Gyro Ball

(Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite

Trait: Natural Cure

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Aromatherapy

- Toxic

- Softboiled

- Seismic Toss

Pretty fucking annoying. Ferrothorn/Jellicent is a classic core that people should know and I'm not gonna post, but this expands on that with Forretress instead, who can set up more varied hazards. Chansey provides a really annoying wall for Special attackers that can rip down Jellicent with SE moves and Forretress just because it has poor SpDef. Jellicent is a great anti-stall mirror, with Taunt, and Chansey's Toxic or Forry's T Spikes easily whittle stuff down. Not that much else to say.

Will post more cores(added to this post) as I sort through my old teams.

Thundurus/Scizor(offensive)

(Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Nasty Plot

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

- Focus Blast

(Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band

Trait: Technician

EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- U-turn

- Bullet Punch

- Superpower

- Pursuit

Tenshi? Offensive? What has this world come to? The premise is pretty simple, Nasty Plot Thundurus is a ridiculous wrecking ball, its few counters include faster sweepers, Chansey(let's try our luck with +2 Focus Blasts!) and umm... Quagsire I guess? Scizor does an excellent job of assisting Thundurus, ripping through special walls, inflicting heavy damage to most fast and frail Pokemon that can scare out Thundurus, and tanking the ever so common Ice moves bound to be thrown at Thundurus, while Thundurus clears troublesome juggernauts such as Jellicent from Scizor's rampage.

@Bullet: I like the Heatran+Ferro+Gliscor combo (Lava Plume > Flamethrower on Heatran though since it's a Spdef wall and greater chance of burn would be worth it to keep it alive longer perhaps). I'll add that to the main post.

Edited by -Heroic-

Alakazam for offensive core:

+Spd/-Atk or +SpA/-Atk

252 Spd, 252 SpA, 4 Spc Def

Trait: Magic Guard

Item: Life Orb

Psychic

Shadow Ball

Focus Blast

Wild Card move (Encore, Disable, Charge Beam, Energy Ball, Calm Mind, Psyshock, taunt)

Definitely an offensive finisher. This thing has amazing power and speed on it's own. Then give it the ability to use life orb without repercussion and this thing is lethal. It's ability also allows it to ignore damage from weather, hazards, burn, and poison so you can switch this into any hazard and nearly any wall that's trying to set up- which is perfect for bringing in late game and sweeping the house.

It's first three moves give it all sorts of coverage and the 4th move is really up to personal preference. Encore and Disable both work to wreck someone trying to set up. Encore is pro for movelocking pokemon in non-damaging moves so that they either have to switch out or flat out eat a loss. Disable is great for shutting down scarves, bands, etc, and pokemon that set up and/or generally only use one attack move and the go-to counter for toxicroak's sucker punch. Energy ball is for more type coverage. Charge beam is good for finishing weakened pokemon while boosting your already incredible SpA to help make sure it ohko's whatever they try to match it up with next.

Used less often is the Lum/synchronize alakazam that counters gimping stallers with their own medicine while coming out it just healthy. Probably best paired with Disable so it doesn't simply try again (if you're expecting the foe to actually survive a hit). Sporeloom has nightmares of this Kazam.

Edited by Maelstrom

• Administrators

Nobody mentioned the standard Fire/Water/Grass core?

Still seems pretty effective to me imo

I used to run, uh... Lemme find it.

Firebolt (Rotom-H) @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt

- Trick

- Overheat

- Hidden Power [ice]

MyBoots (Virizion) @ Life Orb

Trait: Justified

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Giga Drain

- Focus Blast

- Calm Mind

- Hidden Power [ice]

Venus (Milotic) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Marvel Scale

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Scald

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Dragon Tail

I'm not sure if this is classed as offensive, though... It looks like it should be. Worked like a charm in a majority of the battles I used it in. The theme I generally have in all my teams is covering weaknesses, so, that's the idea here as well. Two steel-types were also on the team as well as Latias for the Levitate and multitude of resistances. The entire team was a "core", so to speak, but this was what I started with. A different version of the team exists though, where Milotic was replaced with Suicune (or maybe it was the other way around).

Aurora (Suicune) @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Roar

- Ice Beam

- Scald

More offensive, although still did the same job of being a physically bulky water-type and definitely helped with the resistances/immunites theme I always have.

Also, one defensive core I (potentially; that is, I didn't look anywhere for it and believe it to be my own creation...sorta) came up with myself:

Celestia (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Moonlight

- Psychic

- Ice Beam

Analysis (Porygon2) @ Eviolite

Trait: Trace

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

- Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

- Recover

- Toxic

Self-explanatory, I think, given the natures and EVs... Although Cresselia is meant to set up more than just be a wall, it does take Physical hits extremely well; just as Porygon2 takes Special hits the same way. They also cover each others' weaknesses, sans Dark, but outside of Sucker Punch, I think Ghost is chosen over Dark where possible (or logical) in terms of offense anyway, isn't it?

It's no SkarmBliss, and Moonlight isn't a very reliable recovery option, but it's something.

...and I just really love these two Pokemon.

I'm liking the idea of Cresselia and Porygon2. I'm just gonna modify the EV's a tiny bit if that's ok with you, so that they can function a little better. Also Psyshock might be a better idea on Cresselia than Psychic in case Blissey or Chansey switches in. Anyways, I'll add them to the Defensive Core list. Thank you.

That's fine; I just dumped into each defensive stat without any second thoughts lol

~Ikaru

• 2 months later...

I have had a good amount of sucess with the chandelure, bisharp, salamence offensive core lately. chandelure can take fighting and fire attacks for bisharp and ice attacks for salamence, bisharp can take ice attacks for mence and dark, ghost, and psychic attacks for chandy. Mence can take ground attacks for bisharp and chandelure, it can take fighting attacks for bisharp, and it can take fire attacks for bisharp. :feelsgd: