Behind-The-Scenes

Felicity

• Support Squad

So, really I'm not sure where to put this. At all. Creative Writing, maybe, but what I'm proposing only half fits there really as far as I can tell, considering the actual medium my proposition will be a part of.

So, in the world of media there's very often a lot of coverage done on the creation of our favourite works as much as coverage of the works themselves. Behind the scenes examples of actors shooting a scene, game producers testing the game, creating models. Looks at the software animators use. You can watch an artist work in focused silence.

But there's a medium that no one really sees in the making. The only coverage of the medium is retrospective, you only see what and why people do things in hindsight. Really this is because in the past, it's been very, very difficult to observe the creation properly.

It's hard to read a book as it's being written onto the page, you know?

Well it occurs to me that, with programs like word and recording software, it's much easier to observe the practice of writing first hand now.

So, I pose the question. Would you watch someone write a chapter of a book, listen to their commentary as to why they said this, had a character do that? Would you listen to someone try and write a poem stanza, listen to why they used this particular kind of imagery? Hear the why from the writers mouth, instead of from a pretentious analyst looking at it after the fact?

Absolutely. I've always been interested in writing and would love to know the thought process of someone as they're writing. Why they're doing something, why that way, why not any of the alternatives, etc, I'd love that.