[CW] Hope Wrought From Pain

Chase

You ever notice?

True sacrifice is looking at the map of souls in front of you, each one a red blip, and saying "I would gladly die for them all."

Every. Last. One.

True sacrifice is weighing your faults against the ones of those you despise and being able to say "I am no better."

No better even when your heart feels it knows better.

But do you ever notice?

True sacrifice, is looking those you care about in their eyes and yet doing the same to those you don't. It's easy to provide for the people you want in your life. It's hard to do so for those you could care less.

And yet, that's the unseen clause of being selfless - of being able to make a sacrifice.

In order to sacrifice, you have to get past the barrier that is yourself. The things you want. The things you don't want. There is no filter for the real thing. Sacrifice is not picky.

Do you notice though?

We tend to value each red blip differently. This one is a lover. This one is a close friend. This one taught me how to read. This one was with me when I was in pain. This one caused me pain. In all but the later - I would gladly lend a hand.

Do you notice that I would have to swallow my pride to help that last red blip?

However, depending on who you are, there is one red blip that either goes unaccounted for, or is the most valuable blip on the map.

The one that you can call your own.

True sacrifice is finding a way to establish worth to that blip, without making it worth the most.

Do you notice that's the singular hardest thing about sacrifice?

• Upvote 1

interesting read, the ideas of the differences between "selfish love" and "selfless" love comes to mind, as well as being completely unbiased when making a hard choice, overall good for reflection. =]

i like to say that a true sacrifice is when you actualy care about what you're giving up in favor for a greater good.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll look into reworking my tag - but I went with creative writing because I didn't plan on stopping there. I appreciate you all reading my work.

Five in the mornin', frost in the grass,

hat over brow, some water in the glass,

new day's here, and another one's comin',

got another shot, so ya gotta get stunnin'

Boom, Pow, pull on the reigns,

Gun a little faster, gotta break the chains,

No pair is better than the fire and the rain,

gotta know yourself better, cause you're still the same!

heartbreak, and a ton a-shame...,

clock runnin' and ya soul too tame,

hop back on the saddle, but don't flee town,

'cause the folks know better than to keep you down...

No smoke, no longer called Madge,

once Sheriff, but gotta taken badge,

village ain't all with ya and some want a scrap,

but a face ain't what put ya on the damn map!

Boom, Pow, pull on the reigns,

Gun a little faster, gotta break the chains,

No pair is better than the fire and the rain,

gotta know yourself better, cause you're still the same!

Sometimes the greatest company one can have is himself. Even if his standing with himself is questionably that of a predictably scripted sado-masochistic relationship. Perhaps that statement is contentious, and I could understand my take on it being disagreed with. It's not like it's fact or anything. I'm not writing this to be agreed with.

The air of vindication replaces the storms of rupture when you can look yourself in the mirror and pocket your reflection's acceptance and assurance. Everything you have done can be justified if you're the judge. This doesn't make all of your decisions the right ones, and it doesn't help mean anyone should deny the right to an attorney and proceed to make a fool out of themselves on the stand trying to defend themselves - but it does lay the groundwork for said defense in a way. Your motives are still yours, regardless of if anyone else cares for them or not. If the why you did something is beneficial or worth the repercussions, then you can take the result to the bank.

Validation can begin to dawn on you at that point. Your motives were yours. Your actions were yours. They are weaved into the fabric of your being. For me, I can quickly list off the more garish threads because the desire to change or improve or do the complete opposite of validate is strong with me. Liar. One who covets. One who has stolen. One who hurts. However, it everything you intend to do and everything that you indeed do make up the quilt of your existence, then there are also linens that are considerably beautiful by most. Comedian, Humble. Sacrificial. Competitive. Determined. Adaptable. ....and then you have the centerpiece patchworks. The patterns humanity wants and more or less needs on it's quilt all the same. One who is loved. One who is respected. One who is popular. One who wields courage. One who is strong. One who is influential in a positive manner (positive being determined by the individual and not by society, of course!) and so on and so forth.

The thing about the fabric of life though, is that you can't just cut out the pieces that are garish. You can't replace them with the fabrics of other quilts. If those pieces are on your quilt, they truly belong to you. If they aren't - then your course of option is to make the quilt bigger. The pieces become a story. For example. Someone who develops a brave nature over time still has cowardly pieces on his quilt. Take for example, myself. You begin to see the "I once was X but then I became Y" pattern as your run your fingers over the stitching.

The other thing you can't do with the quilt is wash it. Remember the times you pricked your finger with the needle and bled. That blood becomes a piece on it's own. "This is the time I was hurting."

You can't ever finish the quilt by denying anything that's supposed to be on it. The only one that can get you to appreciate your hard work for it is...

...you all guessed it. You.

Hunter. Enjoy this piece of your quilt. "This is the time you appreciated you."