Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

Mining for an Odd Keystone and Fossils

Untixx

Question

I've had the mining kit for a while, and I recently did some research to see what exactly I could find in this game by mining. I learned that I needed the different shards later on for the lucky egg, which I know that I want, and so I gathered a few of those. I also learned that you can find most, if not all of the fossils ( I think I read you get gen 6 somewhere else though) and I also learned that you can get an odd keystone, which can get you a Spiritomb. I'm trying to get all of the fossils and at least 1 odd keystone, and I know that I can buy blast powder later so I can re mine the rocks. But I was wandering through the Byxbysion grotto, and I found the two rocks. The first one yielded me a Dome Fossil, and I've been working at the second rock for almost two hours trying to find something. I've read a few posts about the chances of finding odd keystones, and I saw people with multiple of them, but I also saw a post that said that Ame lowered the chances of finding fossils and the keystone, so I was wondering if anybody knew what the chances are of finding something worthwhile.

6 answers to this question

I don't think it's public knowledge what the odds are, so you just have to keep soft reseting until you get lucky. As for the fossils, gen 5 fossils are in the circus and gen 6 fossils are available from the followers of the helix in 7th street. You will need a helix fossil and will have to bring them pokemon they ask for.

I don't think it's public knowledge what the odds are, so you just have to keep soft reseting until you get lucky. As for the fossils, gen 5 fossils are in the circus and gen 6 fossils are available from the followers of the helix in 7th street. You will need a helix fossil and will have to bring them pokemon they ask for.

Ok, thanks for the info. I already found one helix fossil and two others, still mining.

You're pretty lucky to have found a few of them already, I mined every rock I could find in the entire game and STILL haven't found a Helix fossil or a Root Fossil.

I don't know what the real numbers are for Odd Keystone or fossils appearing while mining, but from my experience it seems to ~5% at best.

Also from what I've observed, since fossils and the Odd Keystone are pretty big compared to other items that can be mined, they usually only appear when it says there are 2 or 3 items available and not 4. When there are 4 items, they are usually smaller things like Heart Scales, evolution stones and shards so it's a waste of time to search for bigger and rarer things like fossils or the Odd Keystone.

I'm not sure on the chances but I do know that you can usually find most of the shards you need for the egg on the ground with the itemfinder, the top shelf finds are the fossils, keystone, and plates.

Thanks for the input. I finally found an odd keystone, and I ended up finding two helix fossils, a root fossil, and a dome fossil before I decided to actually play the game instead of just soft resetting for more hours of my life. I'll try and keep that 5% in mind so I appreciate what I find more ;)