Curious question involving lag

shinymissingno

So, I started playing Reborn again, started up a new file since my old save got deleted after sending my laptop in to get repairs, and upon starting up Reborn - I get moderate to heavy lag constantly when I'm not inside a building. I don't know what's causing it, but I'm hazarding a guess that it's the weather effects, and I'm wondering if there's some metaphorical switch I can toggle to make it easier on my computer? It runs perfectly fine otherwise, just that on overworld outside any building at all, it goes from smooth, to jagged and jumpy instantly, and it seems to stay that way unless I enter another building.

If any help could be given, that would be amazing.

I've got next to nothing open, so that probably isn't the issue, no... Before I got my laptop sent in, Reborn worked perfectly, so all I can think of is that it's something on my computer that's causing the game to be so slow. I can't for the life of me think of what, though...

Yeah, I just checked - even when it's the only program running, and is on the smalllest size, it still takes a second or two for the character to move one space, and the lag continues on, one or two seconds, then they move one space, and so on. Maybe I should try a clean install? I copied Reborn over from a thumbdrive, might that cause the issue?

Sync, that fixed everything. My laptop was on PowerSave, and switching to Balanced has made Reborn run much smoother - I suspect that having Powersave on might actually be the cause of my overall PC lag too, so thank you so much for mentioning that. I never would have thought how the Laptop power was distributed would cause such a vast difference.

Sync, that fixed everything. My laptop was on PowerSave, and switching to Balanced has made Reborn run much smoother - I suspect that having Powersave on might actually be the cause of my overall PC lag too, so thank you so much for mentioning that. I never would have thought how the Laptop power was distributed would cause such a vast difference.

I can't attest on the laptop overall issues, but I can give some insight regards to that.

I was halfway through writing this before I realized it was turning into a dissertation of how computer processing has evolved in the last 11 years, so I'll try the short version instead.

RPG Maker is like a spoiled child. If you want it to do anything, it asks for your entire processor to be avaiable for it in turn. If it isn't, it starts whining and won't give you anything at all until it is.

You'll find a lot of games tend to follow this general rule, since (most of the time, specially on lower-end laptops) they need as much memory as they can get.

To that extent, I'd suggest trying to always play with your computer connected to a charger if at all possible. That guarantees RPG Maker XP stays well-fed and non-whiny and you will have the minimum amount of issues related to processing hiccups - Less corrupted saves, less lag, less script hangs.