[CW] The abyss

Kurotsune

I don't remember when it began. The darkness came suddenly and in a blink there was no more light. Without any other choice, I began fighting.

For years I fought, and the more I did so, the more people I met, and the more people I lost.

The first warrior was a gentle one. Quiet with word but quick with blade, he fought by my side until I couldn't bear to see him wounded again. Although we didn't part ways, it again became just me.

And the darkness. Funny how you can almost develop a kinship with it. A symbiotic relationship with you and what seeks to end you.

The second warrior was a barbarian. With am axe that cut the dark with each swing, we fought together for years. At her side, I was indestructible, but at my side, she was frail. To understand this broke me. I pushed her away and made her go her way. I hear she's found happiness in a far off land, away from the darkness. It makes me glad for her.

I couldn't understand why this happened, however. The third warrior appeared in a flurry of emotion, and my world drowned in red. I embraced his fury. Together, we fought not just the darkness but all who stood in our way as well. I saw this as truth, and took it to heart.

With time, however, my mind grew past rage and into complacency, and soon we could no longer fight together. The bloodlust there once was subsided.

The fourth warrior was an angel. Immaculate and flawless, she banished the darkness away with little more than her presence. During our years together we did more than I ever thought I could. The battle seemed won. Yet just as quickly as she came she was taken away, dragged by the darkness towards oblivion.

This enraged me. I submerged myself in the darkness, convinced to take it down with me.

The fifth warrior was young, and deserved better. As she fought by my side she realized the darkness was beginning to overtake me. There was no longer anything that could be done. We parted in silence, as words weren't needed.

The last warrior was the first, but I couldn't force myself to watch them suffer again.

And so I kept fighting, alone, in hopes of one day surpassing that which seeks to end me. But I soon realize the truth: I can never defeat the darkness, as I am it's origin.

And so, as I watch it slowly eat away at my sanity, the thought settles in. I know I can't kill it.

But I can kill myself.

• Upvote 1