[CW] Hunter's Peace

Noir

Hunter's Peace

Itsy, bitsy, spider.

The sun slit through the gaps of where the huntsman waited, a predator on the prowl, under the protection of a thick, fallen array of scattered leaves. A hunter of hunters it was, swift and deadly, threatening a fatal strike at one careless moment of unfortunate prey. It waited -- motionless as it felt the land merge with this own, surveying with every sense the vicinity where the hunter thrived. It waited -- it felt every motion, every scent, examining every move. The leisurely beautiful afternoon of the forest was one where death would meet one so unfortunate, under the hands of a unfathomably deadly hunter.

Clicking footsteps approached. The aura of death intensified as a grasshopper appeared from sight, surveying the fallen leaves for food. There was silent delight, as it creeped with long, silent legs slowly and noiselessly, soundless even amidst the caress of it's legs across the leaves and grass. The grasshopper stayed -- continuing it's feast of strands of dry grass across the ground -- unbeknownst that death's door awaited -- inches away from where it was at. The huntsman had one strike, one perfect chance. One mistake, and it would miss the opportunity for a proper afternoon meal. It had lightning-swift speed and a rock hard grip, and another weapon deadliest of it's own signature, but the grasshopper had a speed as equal and a bound that extended to unreachable distances. It waited, slowly approaching. The grasshopper stayed, and -

Checkmate.

It was too late for the unfortunate green insect, and a success for a hunter ever so adept, so skillful. Grasping with it's powerful front legs at a speed it could not detect -- and at a moment so sudden -- the grasshopper had it's fruitless struggle against the strangling grasp of it's feared enemy, but what came worst -- and that of it's last -- was the excruciating pain of cruel, razor sharp fangs that impaled it's body with a simple dose of fatal venom. It took merely seconds -- the huntsman released it's grasp slowly, and the grasshopper stood upright, motionless -- small traces of yellow liquid flowing from the scars of the predator's bite.

Food at last, it thought, as it continued the afternoon with a meal made from a murderous masterpiece.

But even for a predator of that caliber, everyone has it's fears. A forest so silent and beautiful was a battlefield between prey and predator -- but the hunter can also be the hunted. Hiding behind the hole of an old tree, it surveyed the strife of the green vicinity -- a caterpillar helplessly and weakly crawled upon the stem of a nearby orchid, but the hunter, satisfied of the former meal, didn't seem ravenous at the time. It waited -- what of a cruel end will befall it -- or the predator?

It didn't wait long -- a sparrow swooped down onto the flower and skillfully grabbed it with it's beak, flying away to it's nest visible from the nearby tress to it's young ones. An enemy they shared, and only the strongest survive, it told itself, knowing that it too, at a moment unexpected will it have to face the killing blow rather than deal it. It continued to sense and watch as the sparrow fed it's underlings -- hungry chirps turned into a screeching hiss and the rustling of nearby leaves as the sparrow fell prey to a nearby viper, sharing similar weapons to itself; impeccable swiftness, and a murderous dose of venom inflicted through the deathly embrace of needle-sharp fangs. It watched -- minutes passed as it swallowed the sparrow whole, and it's underlings along with it.

Life is cruel. Life is where one takes from the other.

Even through the camouflage as the viper slid through the forest green and brown, there was always one higher than the other. The viper failed to detect the enclosing distance of a silent, powerful eagle -- swiftly diving down from the skies before falling to it's strong talons, magnificent size; the regal predator, satisfied with a large catch, flew away through the leafy canopies through the forest sunlight, to an azure sky unseen from the forest.

Only death comes every day, it reminded itself.

Pondering upon the bore of the danger and cruelty that stood in the life of a forest predator, drops from the sky that came in increasing paces lashed through the leafy shields above, dampening the ground. The afternoon sun changed into a drizzle with a perhaps soothing rhythm, sounds differing as the raindrops clashing onto stacked puddles, softly caressing leaves, sliding through barks of the abudance of trees, dampening everything.

Rain. It thought. A hindered situation for most predators, scarce as it is in the forest. Who would hunt?

It continued to peer off the hole it hid under the shelter of the thick tree bark. The patient predator surveyed it's battlefield, shrouded with a vague, foggy mist, empty of strife, empty of death -- no noise apart from the rain, no movement apart from the drizzle -- perhaps it was the only one there. The forest where death encircled the afternoon had diminished into a calm, yet living silence. Rain is strong, it thought. Did predators fear rain?

Peace.

The murderous intent of a predator and the cruel thoughts it pondered about life vanished in traces -- rain is strong, it told itself again. A hunter who knew no peace, who had never felt nothing but to kill or be killed. An unknown emotion, realization touched him. The emptiness of strife was...enjoyable, it thought, unexpectedly. No bloodshed, no murder. The change in life and the emptiness of the boring and lonesome disgust it would witness and live every day had under the grace of the rain cleansed away; for the umpteenth time it crossed it's mind : rain is strong.

A hunter can know peace. It continued to enjoy and sty leisurely under the rain, the rain with the power to end destruction and strife. And it was ravishing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ooookay.

So I want to make my post #200 something productive, so I decided to post one of my old,best works in writing. I've began writing since I was 8 and since I was 15 I've written 1000 words a day on a basis. This is generally what comes out of me during my leisure time and since this forum has a very avid writing corner I might as well ask for feedback and earn some RP.

Feedback is, of course, very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by YagamiNoir4896