Team help

BlackMage

Hey guys, I need a good team here since I think my team is quite lack-luster. Here's my team right now :

1) Greninja (38) - Protean - Round, Smack Down, Water Pulse, Quick Attack

2) Growlithe (37) - Intimidate - (--), Fire Fang, Flamethrower, Close Combat

3) Meowstic (M) (36) - Prankster - Light Screen, Reflect, Psyshock, Charm

4) Trubbish (31) - Stench - Acid Spray, Sludge Bomb, Take Down, Toxic Spikes

5) Ampharos (37) - Static - Charge Beam, Electric Terrain, Power Gem, Thunder Wave

I just recently caught the Budew from North Obsidia (I didn't know I could catch him MUCH early on) and plan to evolve him to Roserade and replace Trubbish. What I need is a sixth team member and maybe a good pokemon in place of Ampharos or Meowstic. Maybe Scraggy (I just got the Odd Key)?

magnezone has helped me out tremendously throughout the game and I would also suggest a donphan. Donphans attack and defense make it very useful for the poison leader aya. And I would replace trubbish with either drapion or muk because you are going to want a poison type pokemon later on

Well for starters, I see you are somewhere around Shade judging by the levels of your Pokemon. Your team is just lacking early in the game, and Amethyst made the game so.

One option is to go for Starly because it's a pretty good generic Flying type, and of the Pidgey line of birds, it's easily the most powerful you can obtain in Reborn (Talonflame is sadly not).

Another recommendation would be to drop Trubbish and replace it with a different Poison Type. I have used both Toxicroak and Dragalge on my playthroughs. I am more of a fan of Toxicroak, unless special walls are your thing. I'd lean more to Toxicroak because natural Sucker Punch and Poison Jab. You can definitely get it at this point in the game. It's literally a Ring from Corey's room and a Rock Smash cave across from Shade's place and you got yourself a Croagunk. Although if you're patient, Dragalge is a better option if you can wait until the 6th Gym Town to get a decent Fishing Rod, because Dragalge is better walling and level up moves.

I'd stick with Meowstic for now, because dual screens is VERY useful especially in the early game.

Growlithe is fine since you can mine Fire Stones, or grab your first Fire Stone at a certain Academy you will be visiting real soon. CC and if you could Relearn Flare Blitz, and Outrage, Arcanine makes for a good beatstick. If you wanna go for status, do Vulpix instead. It can learn Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray early and both are useful (especially with Drought and Flash Fire).

Ampharos is also fine, with bulky pseudo tank stats, some decent coverage, and equally decent status. For now, it's also ok on your team.

For new suggestions, Donphan is pretty good with Earthquake real early and Sturdy. Magnezone is also really good, although the room you use to evolve it is a pain to get to. If you don't mind breeding for Growlithe eggs, the police station guy gives you an Egg that has a 1/18 chance to be a certain Pokemon. All that hatch from that egg are really good. Can also get Ralts after the 5th badge, and Ralts hardly needs explanation.

At this point in the game till your 6th badge, these are some of the best options.

I'm trying to remember how I defeated Shade. I had Greninja, Meowstic (F), Growlithe and Emolga I believe. My Meowstic had Shadoll Ball though, the male one doesn't learn that move. What Poke is giving you trouble? I was able to knock out the Chandelure with 1 Water Pulse from Greninja.

Well for starters, I see you are somewhere around Shade judging by the levels of your Pokemon. Your team is just lacking early in the game, and Amethyst made the game so.

One option is to go for Starly because it's a pretty good generic Flying type, and of the Pidgey line of birds, it's easily the most powerful you can obtain in Reborn (Talonflame is sadly not).

Another recommendation would be to drop Trubbish and replace it with a different Poison Type. I have used both Toxicroak and Dragalge on my playthroughs. I am more of a fan of Toxicroak, unless special walls are your thing. I'd lean more to Toxicroak because natural Sucker Punch and Poison Jab. You can definitely get it at this point in the game. It's literally a Ring from Corey's room and a Rock Smash cave across from Shade's place and you got yourself a Croagunk. Although if you're patient, Dragalge is a better option if you can wait until the 6th Gym Town to get a decent Fishing Rod, because Dragalge is better walling and level up moves.

I'd stick with Meowstic for now, because dual screens is VERY useful especially in the early game.

Growlithe is fine since you can mine Fire Stones, or grab your first Fire Stone at a certain Academy you will be visiting real soon. CC and if you could Relearn Flare Blitz, and Outrage, Arcanine makes for a good beatstick. If you wanna go for status, do Vulpix instead. It can learn Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray early and both are useful (especially with Drought and Flash Fire).

Ampharos is also fine, with bulky pseudo tank stats, some decent coverage, and equally decent status. For now, it's also ok on your team.

For new suggestions, Donphan is pretty good with Earthquake real early and Sturdy. Magnezone is also really good, although the room you use to evolve it is a pain to get to. If you don't mind breeding for Growlithe eggs, the police station guy gives you an Egg that has a 1/18 chance to be a certain Pokemon. All that hatch from that egg are really good. Can also get Ralts after the 5th badge, and Ralts hardly needs explanation.

At this point in the game till your 6th badge, these are some of the best options.

Where do I get Starly and Magnemite/Magneton?

you can get magnemite in shades gym as a wild encounter and starly i think wither route 3 or 4 yeah so stars a pretty late game thing

So is this team good for now?

Greninja

Growlithe

Meowstic

Toxicroak

Ampharos

Also what ability should I get for Toxicroak?

That will do fine for now. But you only have five team members. Try to get a sixth first. Again, Phanpy is available at this point in the game and it is a great option to round out the team you have right now. As for Toxicroak, go Dry Skin or Poison Touch. Poison Touch is decent for racking up Poison along with Poison Jab and Dry Skin is a more universal ability to wall out water moves if you don't mind extra damage from fire.

Your team is good now, just fill in a 6th member. Options are always good.

If you're going for Roserade: Nuzleaf learns Extrasensory at level 36, and Budew can inherit the move. I recommend breeding it on because of the lack of Sludge Bomb (or decent Poison-type offensive moves in its movepool) and the iffyness of getting a good HP-type.
(Nuzleaf can be caught in a certain area around Beryl (not sure if the event is removed, but I think not), you need Rock smash and decent mons for it...)
You can also get Piloswine/Mamoswine, which isn't shabby either.

Edited by laggless01

One more question, you said I can mine for Fire stones. Do you mean rock smashing?

One more question, you said I can mine for Fire stones. Do you mean rock smashing?

Nope, he really means mining as it is. You sure have seen those "shiny" rocks on some places like caves or the beach, and they are sturdy. Yep those rocks you can mine. You can get the mining kit in the cave under the grand staircase, I think you only need rock smash to get it? Anyways a hiker somewhere will be mining and he will give it to you.

Ok, are there items like IV stones which can change a pokemon's single iv (like how Insurgence has one of them)? My Greninja's offensive IV's are quite horrible :/.

Nope, you'll have to breed for decent ones. I recommend doing so in Ep 14.1.1, since it's a lot easier there to inherit IVs.

Nope, you'll have to breed for decent ones. I recommend doing so in Ep 14.1.1, since it's a lot easier there to inherit IVs.

How do I breed? Those daycare couple seemed to be fake and then they ran away.

So guys just defeated Shade and people have been suggesting to get Cofagrigus and Magnezone. So should I catch them from Shade's gym? Right now, I have a Scraggy, Meowstic, Greninja, Ampharos and Growlithe.

My Zoroark can wreck him but it can be a bit tedious to get it. I dont particularly think you need to change anything, its not a hard gym. That Growlithe will probably end up killing two of his if you heal him a bit. Probably only Gengar can be trouble with its dmg but if you have something bulky like Ampahoros it should do the job.

My Zoroark can wreck him but it can be a bit tedious to get it. I dont particularly think you need to change anything, its not a hard gym. That Growlithe will probably end up killing two of his if you heal him a bit. Probably only Gengar can be trouble with its dmg but if you have something bulky like Ampahoros it should do the job.

Lol I said in my previous post that I DEFEATED him, though on two tries :P.