Hated gaming cliches

Jacobliterator

okay this one is going to be short:

• legend of zelda: master sword is the only thing that will save everyone from this evil that keeps coming back. okay here is how you solve the problem: kidnap link and breed that unlucky S.O.B.: super soldiers and while your at it clone the master sword so when this shit happens again!. sheikah would be my breeding pick for that solution.

which brings me to this: prophecy states an great evil will arrive.....okay seriously if i'm an evil dude and i know there is a prophecy about me and it states i am going to be slayed by a dude; i am NOT going to follow it. nah i am taking over a small ass village and civilization that bitch up! economy invasion FTW!.

Edited by helix

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay this one is going to be short:

• legend of zelda: master sword is the only thing that will save everyone from this evil that keeps coming back. okay here is how you solve the problem: kidnap link and breed that unlucky S.O.B.: super soldiers and while your at it clone the master sword so when this shit happens again!. sheikah would be my breeding pick for that solution.

You cannot "clone" the master-sword because it is a holy weapon with a sacred spirit/guardian (Phi / Fi however she is spelled)

any attempt in "cloning" would just result in a sword that looks like it, but wouldn't posses it's holy-powers

"Capture Link and 'breed' him" ... you DO realize that all the different Links are not bloodrelated, do you? It's their Souls that are connected / that is the same as the first Link from Skyward Sword, through 'reincarnation' - so breeding wouldn't do much, they would be his children, but they wouldn't possess this particular "Hero-Soul"

Demise actually explains it when he is defeated "I curse your souls! I will battle for you for all eternity!" or stuff like this... implying that the cycle will repeat itself and that all three Demise, Link and Zelda will be eternally reborn to fight... Demise will eventually take the form of Ganon the Demonking and in turn become Ganondorf.

And the Legend of Zelda "prophecies" are legends of Ganons FORMER RISINGS there is no statement that he will return! It's allways like:

"blah blah blah - Ganon has risen and tried to destroy the world - blah blah blah - then the Hero in green came with the Master Sword and defeated Ganon."

but on other games that have these kinds of Prophecies I would agree... :P

I'm looking at you Skyrim.

Speaking of which, when the only items that act as a suitable cash flow have a quantity or weight limit. Dragon bones in Skyrim are this.

You cannot "clone" the master-sword because it is a holy weapon with a sacred spirit/guardian (Phi / Fi however she is spelled)

any attempt in "cloning" would just result in a sword that looks like it, but wouldn't posses it's holy-powers

"Capture Link and 'breed' him" ... you DO realize that all the different Links are not bloodrelated, do you? It's their Souls that are connected / that is the same as the first Link from Skyward Sword, through 'reincarnation' - so breeding wouldn't do much, they would be his children, but they wouldn't possess this particular "Hero-Soul"

Demise actually explains it when he is defeated "I curse your souls! I will battle for you for all eternity!" or stuff like this... implying that the cycle will repeat itself and that all three Demise, Link and Zelda will be eternally reborn to fight... Demise will eventually take the form of Ganon the Demonking and in turn become Ganondorf.

And the Legend of Zelda "prophecies" are legends of Ganons FORMER RISINGS there is no statement that he will return! It's allways like:

"blah blah blah - Ganon has risen and tried to destroy the world - blah blah blah - then the Hero in green came with the Master Sword and defeated Ganon."

but on other games that have these kinds of Prophecies I would agree... :P

the sword broke in four swords and in link to the past the sowrd is up-garded therefore it shows that if a sword maker can upgrade it then it can. about breeding. links blood-line connects him to the other "links".

also, gannon is born from the gerudos almost every time he does get born. at some point he should see a pattern: going for the gold ALWAYS gets him killed. anyone will two brain cells should!

"hmm.....this guy with my name and description went for the triforce........just...like i am trying and dies form this dude who is named.....me.....ladies! we are invading another village!"

also at the end of ocarana of time and at the beginning of majora's mask it is known he is the hero of time. just saying he aint leaving the country with that fact known if i was king.

"ah so he saved the kingdom....wait he is LEAVING?!?! guards go bring his ass back here! zelda gave him WHAT!?!?!"

the sword broke in four swords and in link to the past the sowrd is up-garded therefore it shows that if a sword maker can upgrade it then it can. about breeding. links blood-line connects him to the other "links".

also, gannon is born from the gerudos almost every time he does get born. at some point he should see a pattern: going for the gold ALWAYS gets him killed. anyone will two brain cells should!

"hmm.....this guy with my name and description went for the triforce........just...like i am trying and dies form this dude who is named.....me.....ladies! we are invading another village!"

also at the end of ocarana of time and at the beginning of majora's mask it is known he is the hero of time. just saying he aint leaving the country with that fact known if i was king.

"ah so he saved the kingdom....wait he is LEAVING?!?! guards go bring his ass back here! zelda gave him WHAT!?!?!"

The Sword of the Four IS NOT the Master-Sword! (a common misconception, but come on... they don't even look the same!) but they both wield similar powers to seal the evil.

and reforging/repairing is not the same as "creating a new one from scratch".

and upgrading... yeah... it IS the original sword but made stronger... so where's your point?

and no... as I said... it is the souls that makes the Hero...

Link cannot be a father of other Links... he has no Bloodline after Majoras Mask... BECAUSE HE DIES IN THE WOODS! He bacomes a Stalfos! The Stalfos who teaches Twilight Princess Link all the sword techniques!

We know that because the Kokiris tell you in Ocarina of Time, that everyone who gets lost in the woods and dies becomes a Stalfos, and WHY should a (left-handed) Stalfos teach you his skills to defeat evil, if he is not the former Hero?

And really? Link has several implied "romances" with Zelda, but except for Skyward Sword there is no real 'relationship' between the two, because in SS they are the original ones... your logic would also imply that every Princess Zelda is the decendent of a former Zelda... you know what this would mean? implied incest! - granted... over centuries the bloodlines may thin out...

Also we could argue that Link and Zelda in Ocarina of Time are INDEED siblings!

We know that Link is a Hyrulian and not a Kokiri. His mother, who bares a stiking resamblence to ZELDA, fled from Hyrule with him when he was a baby and left him with the Deku-Tree and the Kokiri! His mother dies because she was severely wounded, and she wanted to hide her son from the evil (Ganondorf who was some sort of advisor at Hyrules court!). Later there is NO mentioning of Zeldas mother / the Queen... because SHE IS DEAD! Zelda even mentioned that Links name sounds familiar... because she heard it as a Baby... the name of her BROTHER! That's also why she and Impa trust you no matter what! Impa knows WHO YOU ARE!

(there is a Ocarina of Time manga that showed these events of Link being left by the Deku tree by his mother in the first few pages)

Also if sometime a Link or a Zelda wouldn't have a child... the Bloodline would end! NO MORE HERO! WORLD'S END! you know... like in the "Link fails/dies" timeline - but still there is Link later on to stop Ganon!

It IS the Soul! because a Soul 'lives' on!

Also - Ganon tried to destroy other areas of the world, and not just Hyrule... but Link is always there. They battle rages on because of their bond that was forged through the Battle of Link and Demise... and the Triforce. (Oracle of Ages/Seasons - true endings)

Ganon / Demise WANTS the Triforce to Conquer/destroy the World. And Link appears where the Triforce is to battle Ganon and protect the Triforce. It wouldn't matter where Ganon is reborn... Link and Zelda will be reborn there too to stop him.

Another (semi)cliche i hate is overcomplicated stories (often based on time travel) that make little (or in some cases zero) sense if you notice all the details, this mainly happens in JRPGs (FF XIII anyone?) But not only there.

The Sword of the Four IS NOT the Master-Sword! (a common misconception, but come on... they don't even look the same!) but they both wield similar powers to seal the evil.

and reforging/repairing is not the same as "creating a new one from scratch".

and upgrading... yeah... it IS the original sword but made stronger... so where's your point?

and no... as I said... it is the souls that makes the Hero...

Link cannot be a father of other Links... he has no Bloodline after Majoras Mask... BECAUSE HE DIES IN THE WOODS! He bacomes a Stalfos! The Stalfos who teaches Twilight Princess Link all the sword techniques!

We know that because the Kokiris tell you in Ocarina of Time, that everyone who gets lost in the woods and dies becomes a Stalfos, and WHY should a (left-handed) Stalfos teach you his skills to defeat evil, if he is not the former Hero?

And really? Link has several implied "romances" with Zelda, but except for Skyward Sword there is no real 'relationship' between the two, because in SS they are the original ones... your logic would also imply that every Princess Zelda is the decendent of a former Zelda... you know what this would mean? implied incest! - granted... over centuries the bloodlines may thin out...

Also we could argue that Link and Zelda in Ocarina of Time are INDEED siblings!

We know that Link is a Hyrulian and not a Kokiri. His mother, who bares a stiking resamblence to ZELDA, fled from Hyrule with him when he was a baby and left him with the Deku-Tree and the Kokiri! His mother dies because she was severely wounded, and she wanted to hide her son from the evil (Ganondorf who was some sort of advisor at Hyrules court!). Later there is NO mentioning of Zeldas mother / the Queen... because SHE IS DEAD! Zelda even mentioned that Links name sounds familiar... because she heard it as a Baby... the name of her BROTHER! That's also why she and Impa trust you no matter what! Impa knows WHO YOU ARE!

(there is a Ocarina of Time manga that showed these events of Link being left by the Deku tree by his mother in the first few pages)

Also if sometime a Link or a Zelda wouldn't have a child... the Bloodline would end! NO MORE HERO! WORLD'S END! you know... like in the "Link fails/dies" timeline - but still there is Link later on to stop Ganon!

It IS the Soul! because a Soul 'lives' on!

Also - Ganon tried to destroy other areas of the world, and not just Hyrule... but Link is always there. They battle rages on because of their bond that was forged through the Battle of Link and Demise... and the Triforce. (Oracle of Ages/Seasons - true endings)

Ganon / Demise WANTS the Triforce to Conquer/destroy the World. And Link appears where the Triforce is to battle Ganon and protect the Triforce. It wouldn't matter where Ganon is reborn... Link and Zelda will be reborn there too to stop him.

in twilight princess link was a herder. in ocarina of time there was only one female with the same field of training: malon.

it is not stated he die majora's mask. however! no one sees his father either. also the stalfos states when he teaches the last move to you that he regretted never telling his feelings. this could be implied that link for time died while committing while feeding wonder-lust or died from something else like the power of the triforce being transferred to his son, disease, it could be anything we dont know if there are side-effects of the curse.

we do know that gannon was tried for treason and killed by the sage after link snitch on gannon and it took some time for him to manifest in the twilight world.

also gannon never conquered anything but hyrule THEN the world. in OoT when you see gannon he was bowing the reason was betrayed the gerudos. he done this to get closer to the hyrule so he could get the sacred stone to open the gate. he first curse the deku tree, the caves, then the waters to force the great tribes of old to give their stones up.

on topc: the other cliche. obscured mythos!!!!!

• Support Squad

Enough with the Zelda talk guys, off topic.

I suppose dynamic cameras that shake and shift as you walk. This is very prominent in things like Tomb raider and pisses me off. Gimme back that control you just took tyvm, I don't need motion sickness with this game

Another (semi)cliche i hate is overcomplicated stories (often based on time travel) that make little (or in some cases zero) sense if you notice all the details, this mainly happens in JRPGs (FF XIII anyone?) But not only there.

I assume you mean FFXIII-2 since that's the one with time travel. There's nothing confusing about it. The main antagonists changed time and thus started a chain of paradoxes to occur which caused the timeline to decay. The heroes simply had to correct the timeline.

Don't think of time as a single line. Think of it as a web. Every connecting point on that web is a major point in time. The strings in the web come from each point based on what happens in that point. If you change the details of the point, you change the strings. You end up creating strings that are unable to properly attach to the rest of the web. The strength of the web decreases, the strings themselves fall downward instead of connecting to other points, and the web itself completely falls apart.

In the web version of time, temporal paradoxes would be changes to those points. By changing one point, you'd affect other points that themselves would change and create more malfunctioning strings and so on and so forth until the timeline falls apart and everything ceases to exist. This is what happened in FFXIII-2.

I assume you mean FFXIII-2 since that's the one with time travel. There's nothing confusing about it. The main antagonists changed time and thus started a chain of paradoxes to occur which caused the timeline to decay. The heroes simply had to correct the timeline.

Don't think of time as a single line. Think of it as a web. Every connecting point on that web is a major point in time. The strings in the web come from each point based on what happens in that point. If you change the details of the point, you change the strings. You end up creating strings that are unable to properly attach to the rest of the web. The strength of the web decreases, the strings themselves fall downward instead of connecting to other points, and the web itself completely falls apart.

In the web version of time, temporal paradoxes would be changes to those points. By changing one point, you'd affect other points that themselves would change and create more malfunctioning strings and so on and so forth until the timeline falls apart and everything ceases to exist. This is what happened in FFXIII-2.

Right, like i said it's confusing (to me at least)

• Support Squad

Timey-wimey plots do actually feel like a massive cop-out a lot of the time to me. It's not simply confusing, it just makes me think the world doesn't have enough interesting Locales to explore, so they use time to justify a change in environment AND padding the game.