Titania's choice and the player's involvement

duelmonkey

I have recently passed through Amy's house (after many hours of having to train up a few new team members to combat the previous gym leaders) and found a rather interesting, yet seemingly normal given the game's direction thus far, event. So upon seeking the HM Surf, you find Titania writing in her diary regarding her life with Amy and, specifically, the dilemma she's placed herself in: either live an unhappy life with a delusional Amy or reveal her lack of romantic feelings and possibly break Amy. Titania, then, confronts you for reading her diary, demands the player to never mention her confession to Amy, and then Amy overhears some of the conversation and demands the player to tell her what was being kept from her. The player makes a choice to either tell her or with hold the information, however Amy still finds out Titania's true feelings. Cue broken heart dialogue and depressive actions ensue...

Now that we're all at the same part, and therefore with the same information, I wanted to look at the two bolded items in an ethical sense. Titania made the choice, out of fear, to essentially pretend she had romantic feelings which did not exist; her hopes were that Amy would eventually sustain herself and move away from depression. In essence Amy no longer cared for her own well-being and only cared to exist so long as she had Titania, a bit of a step up from being truly depressive (which is very fatal) but I digress...

The player's choice, now, was to either with hold the information or tell Amy. I'd imagine that many players went through this particular decision without thinking much of it, however I actually had to pause and think a bit on it. If this were a real situation, with very real people... and very real consequences, would I choose to tell the depressed individual that they were not loved back the same way by their lover? We are taught a very basic ethic, that "the truth will set us free" (Christian upbringing so I'm projecting a little bit from that experience) but then again at what point is it better to not give the truth?

I ended up declining to tell Amy the truth, seeing as there was great potential for her to end up killing herself it didn't seem like the choice that would bring about the most good (begs to question what "good" is though that's another topic for another day). Though delusional, Amy had potential to eventually learn to accept the truth of her situation even if Titania had to work with her for an extended period of time. Had Titania never made the choice she did to begin with then maybe things would be different, however we have to work with what we have at times.

What are the forum's thoughts on this? Did anyone else think this much into this choice?

On another note, here's hoping Fern finds his way into a furnace and never leaves. :Kappa:

B3un9RJ.jpg

In all seriousness tho, it is my personal policy to never lie, specially not to a girl. So yeah, knowing myself, I would have made sure to avoid reading that diary to begin with (I know myself, so I know I would never lie about anything, but I also don't like troubles, so I tend to purposedly avoid any piece of knowledge that could put me in troubles should I be asked about it), however, had I been in possession of the info, I would have told the truth upon being confronted by Amy. It is a principle of mine: knowing the truth, no matter how atrocious, is better than being slave to lies, because telling one lie once forces you to keep on telling a lie after the other to keep the facade, eventually locking yourself in a cage of lies (which is Titania's situation, by the way).

Am I a heartless, selfish jerk who cares about his principles more than he does about the feelings of other people? Probably.

I haven't got there yet, but after a lot of researching, i've decided that i would tell Amy the truth (pls Titania don't kill me with your Aegislash), because it was a lie that got Titania into this mess, and it ain't gonna help her get out of it.

In the end, by the point you got there, it is a no win situation. Amaria was, by that point, missing some memories of her life, and is putting on a happy mask in front of most people, but had a serious depression. Our Iron girl/woman noticed and tried to help out, but did so in the wrong way. While Amy seemed to get better, she was emotionally dependant on Tania, caused some kind of rift between them and Florinia (at some point), and when we got there, she discovered the truth on the worst possible way. You are doomed either way by the time you read her diary.

In the end, by the point you got there, it is a no win situation. Amaria was, by that point, missing some memories of her life, and is putting on a happy mask in front of most people, but had a serious depression. Our Iron girl/woman noticed and tried to help out, but did so in the wrong way. While Amy seemed to get better, she was emotionally dependant on Tania, caused some kind of rift between them and Florinia (at some point), and when we got there, she discovered the truth on the worst possible way. You are doomed either way by the time you read her diary.

While your conclusion is all too true, we could still discuss the means to which one gets to that conclusion. As Thomas already pointed out, he has a very peculiar code of ethics in which he holds the truth, no matter how terrible it is, to a very high standard; thus he would seek to reveal the truth if he had the power to do so, regardless of the consequences. Biboo, on the other hand, seeks to give the truth as a means to help Amy get out of her delusional state, perhaps in better hopes that she would snap back to reality with a better head on her shoulders. My question is not on the consequences but, rather, on one's choice and their logic behind said choice.

The whole thing would have been discovered sooner or later anyway, the worst part is that you get dragged in on the whole thing. Tania chose the wrong way to help out on the first place.

Well to the OP point tho, "the whole thing would have been found out anyway" is something you can only say after the whole ordeal is over. But the question asked by the OP is: what would you do if you were in that situation IRL, with Amy asking you and no way of knowing beforehand that she'd find out anyway? What would you do if you believed that the whole situation is in your hands and yours alone?

I stated what I would do: I would try everything in my power to avoid the situation to begin with. But if that failed and I found myself faced with Amy asking me directly, I'd tell the truth.

Well to the OP point tho, "the whole thing would have been found out anyway" is something you can only say after the whole ordeal is over. But the question asked by the OP is: what would you do if you were in that situation IRL, with Amy asking you and no way of knowing beforehand that she'd find out anyway? What would you do if you believed that the whole situation is in your hands and yours alone?

I stated what I would do: I would try everything in my power to avoid the situation to begin with. But if that failed and I found myself faced with Amy asking me directly, I'd tell the truth.

By logic, pretend to faint and pretend to forget what happened after Amaria leaves, but talk to Titania as soon as possible (yeah, far fetche, but I am the kind of guy who just reacts and hopes for the best).

If a situation like this were to occur in real life I would probably panic, say I'm going out to get some milk from the store and never return(like my father).

In game however this option wasn't available so I saved progress, closed the window and went to get some milk at the store. Haven't played since.

tumblr_npqjm5GN411r5ieaco1_1280.jpg

I think I kept the truth from het but if she didn't find out I'd have a serious talk with Titania about telling her. I have a feeling Titania was originally dating Florinia but thanks to the whole Amy deal it went wrong.

Edited by Helia

I decided to tell Amy the truth because she overheard what Titiana and the main character were saying. And if the whole loving Amy is a lie, how is lying to her again gonna fix anything. Did I personnaly expect the outcome, no, but I believe it was for the better.

NO SNITCHIN. I said no because it wasn't really my place to tell her as the player. I don't know them aside from maybe two other meetings with Amy. I shouldn't have been snooping in the first place. I think the fact the player even reads the diary says a lot about their character.

Edit: I also think realizing how unstable Amy is also affected my decision, in that if we knew she'd do something so extreme would you still tell her? Someone spoke about their personal code earlier when it came to always telling the truth regardless. If being honest meant the loss of a life, while the lie could prevent it even if it is just a temporarily doesn't that make the lie was worth it? In my eyes no truth is worth the loss of a life.

Edited by Stealth

Yeah she just lost her memory and wasn't the most stable person to begin with. I'm excited to see where the game takes her later~

am i the only one hoping for amaria in yandere mode?

"tania doesnt love me....it was [player] fault. tania loves them......[player] must die!!!!!"

Hmm that doesn't seem like Amy...

We will just have to see next time on...

POKEMON REBORN

On another note, here's hoping Fern finds his way into a furnace and never leaves. :Kappa:

A FERN-ACE

Anyway, I think this choice changes Titania's dialogue when you leave the Water Treatment Center. After she says "Deliverance will take us up. So I guess I didn't need you after all.", she either says something along the lines of "But still, I'll admit that I'm a bit grateful for your help" or she'll say "And I don't regret it one bit."

Edited by Foamy

A FERN-ACE

Anyway, I think this choice changes TItania's dialogue when you leave the Water Treatment Center. After she says "Deliverance will take us up. So I guess I didn't need you after all.", she either says something along the lines of "But still, I'll admit that I'm a bit grateful for your help" or she'll say "And I don't regret it one bit."

OMG that pun just....

I can confirm the dialogue change however.

Edited by ShadowStar77