Hilda Plays: Reborn (for like...the umpteenth time. Progress?)

Chase

Alright....

Ah, Reborn. The reason a majority of us are even registered onto this forum and several other things that have changed my life. Some of those things are fairly significant in their own right - so I figured I would attempt to actually make some solid progress through the game, with the advent of the new episode closing in.

Now. There are a couple of things you should know about me and Reborn.

• I really suck at this game.
  • I hate Victoria. A LOT.
  • I tend to be very unorthodox. For example. I value Pokemon that are found in the wild a bit more than I do the event Pokemon - and will usually try to take advantage of wild encounter mons when and where I can. There will be places where picking up the event Pokemon are probably more than just a good idea. Ame, this isn't because I hate your event Pokemon, but I feel like the wild Pokemon add a little bit of distinguishable difference from other play-throughs, and as a Pokemon player, finding out what's in the tall grass is a part of the experience for me.
  • I -like- grinding - partially because grinding in the tall grass allows you to discover Pokemon you may not have seen due to Repel spamming, and partially because being under-leveled, while excusable due to the level caps, can lead to frustrating results in boss battles and losing my precious money fighting windmills is a terrible idea in my opinion.

---

Alright. So the starter I went with for this run is Charmander. Pro Tip: If you have played the game before and the early game is discouraging in terms to your opinion on Reborn's replayability, Charmander is a balanced pick for a starter. With access to Dragon Rage early, the Fire starter can help you absolutely bulldoze through said early game, while it's x4 weakness to Rock type moves upon evolving into Charizard causes the 'mon to drop off in value later on.

My Charmander is Bashful - a neutral nature which is neither good or bad in a story playthrough - with a max Special Attack IV and solid Attack and Special Defense IVs. It -does- carry a pair of poor physical defense and speed IVs - which may be consequential later on - but Blaze + 31 in Special Attack is enough of a sell - I don't care for perfection. I just want to play the bloody game.

When first starting the game, check the rock to the south of where the player is standing. It will yield you the Normal Gem, which will assist you in battling Cain and Victoria (due to both matches being back-to-back) and ensure your starter gets some solid experience, netting you some starting profit.

Talk to one of the battle-girl sprites south of the Grand Hall on the street before approaching Victoria - one of them will give you a Potion, which will also come in handy for the pair of beginning rival battles. If you used the Gem in the battle with Cain, the Potion should be preserved for the battle with Victoria, leading more often than not a pair of victories. It's not impossible to win both fights without the items, but it is definitely possible to lose one or both fights as well.

I've already lost a battle - getting a little ambitious and taking on the aquatic reservoir owner and his level 10 Goldeen....before grabbing the Old Rod in the first place. Didn't really have a reason to battle the fisherman yet. But tried anyway. Good thing this isn't a nuzlocke!

When obtaining the fishing rod - you MAY use the rod in Azurine Lake.

The pokemon you can find is Grimer

Current Party: Charmander / Grimer

Umm. I'm still new here but I can suggest a few things that may help you. One, catch an Ekans with Intimidate for the god awful Tangrowth fight coming up. I'd also suggest catching a Bidoof and evolving it, level 15 I think, for the Litleo you can get in Peridot Ward. If you get one with Moxie you can literally Headbutt your way through the first gym like it's nothing. Surprisingly enough, Rattata is OP for a while too. Hyper Fang at level 16 really rapes face. Hopefully this helps!

004.gif420.gif456.gif

----

Take that, mean Goldeen...

As you can see, I've got myself a nice little early game Fire-Water-Grass core going on here. Having played through the early game multiple times I feel that there are two ways you can play at this point in time.

- AbilitySpam - There are definitely some abilities you can downright abuse to get past Julia. As SezuireSalad already mentioned, Moxie absolutely steamrolls her, be it with Litleo from the trade event -or- Mightyena out in the wild. You also have access to Kricketune and Technician which has the same purpose if you spam Fury Cutter.

- Coverage RPS (Rock-Paper-Scissors in the Recreation and Summer Camp biz.) - This is the way middling to intelligent trainers build story teams while still using enjoyable criteria. (I.e. Using Pokemon that you like.) Coverage building is a great way to ensure you never use a Pokemon for the sheer fact of it being good. in Reborn, there may be times where push comes to shove, but certainly not before you reach Julia. For all intents and purposes, I will be playing the game this way as much as I can.

---

Charmander - at this point in the game, 'Mander's gon' be the bulk of my offense. It's perfect Special Attack IV means that I 2HKO most opponents I come across at the very least - barring resists. Charmander gives Fern more than he can handle all by himself.

Finneon - Finneon's greatest strength above Goldeen is that it's Special Attack stat compliments it's very early access to Water Gun. Once I obtain Water Gun I have a way to deal with Team Meteor.

Cherubi - Cherubi is the first Grass type you can encounter in the game, iirc. It won't get it's first STAB attack until level 19, but it starts out with the fantastic move 'Morning Sun' and will learn 'Leech Seed' earlier than it does 'Magical Leaf'. Recovery for days is pretty good, considering Potions may be a hard buy without much cash on you early on.

Box Mons: Grimer, Pachirisu (just because I said I didn't like event mon usages doesn't mean I'm not going to do the events. Part of the game.)

---

After catching Finneon and rounding out the FWG core, I realized that I need a Pokemon that can use multiple HMs while still holding an offensive presence. I have the option between Bidoof, arguably the best HM slave at this point in time, and Rattata, a normal type Pokemon that can pull it's own weight offensively early on while still learning quite a few moves. I'm gonna see what Youngster Joey raves so much about and try out Rattata.

Hilda, which Episode are using for this run? Cuz I wanna see you face Serra's team on the newfield effect when it comes out :]]] not cuz you're gonna rekt jk plz dont hurt me

Other than that, good luck :]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

HAVE YOU SEEN THAT FIELD EFFECT. AME HATES ALL OF US. EVEN ME....

- I'll -regrettably- be playing 15 by the time I reach Serra at this pace. I'm on 14 now to avoid spoiling things and crashes and the like. :)

Disappointed that muh boy Grimer's in the box so early, but at least you picked one up. Good luck actually making it to the end of the current release this time. With this and rejuvenation on the go at the same time I feel like you'll need it.