Do you need to EV Train and Breed to beat gyms?

zareason

Hearing all the trouble Charlotte wise i caught 25 horseas, picked the one with the best stat, and almost fully ev trained it. But when it came time to battle her, i didn't even need even get to use it. My floatzel/golem swept the whole team by just using stone edge/hdyro pump and rain dance once. After beating the 12th badge i was going to plan to breed and train a new team but by the looks of it that isn't needed.

Ofcourse we don't yet know how strong the league will be and if such things are going to be needed later on, but that is really far away.

Personally i like the idea of sticking to most of your team from the start, making changes here and there, but at the same time i'd like the game to be a bit harder.

Ev-Training is relatively easy to do, also gives useful exp. and you can just do it between episodes.

But now that I have a fully Ev-trained team i am kind of afraid the battles won't be challenging anymore.

Maybe Ame will add variable difficulties like in Rejuvenation...

I think all Gym leaders are easy/hard depending on whether you count on dispelling their field. Personally, I wouldn't EV-train and I don't bother dispelling the fields because I prefer the challenge, but hey, to each their own.

Generally, you don't have to ev -train, no.

No, it's totally not necessary. It's there if you want to(all six items you buy relatively early on in the dept. store), but...yeah, it's not required. Really, if a gym leader's giving you trouble, just use another pokemon in your rotation, lol. :3

I EV train and breed because I want to leave as little to chance as I can, for me this mean avoiding all pokemon that are ony strong because of TM's and instead going for egg moves/ good natures. however it's possible to just play through reborn without ever bothering with EV's or Natures however it will take alot more trail and error

I have never EV trained or bred pokemon in Reborn. I find it extremely boring to do, and I have had very few problems with gym leaders. Charlotte gave me some trouble, but is wasn't anything major. It took me a couple tries to beat her.

There's no need for full EV training. I do some additive to give an extra bit of power, speed or balanced defenses, but certainly not the 252/252/4 thing.

As of the leaders, be a tactician and you'll win. And don't believe the hype, they're beatable. Charlotte was a great spook story though.