Aegislash in OU?

Guzam

Do you want to see Aegislash on every team? - On a personal level. Bring it on. I feel like Aegislash is a mon that requires a risk to use and to take down - and I would love to use it in OU again.

Will it -be- on every team? - I would assume it would be used often, but I don't think it will be as centralizing today as it was at the beginning of Gen 6.

Are you prepared for the inevitable 50/50's Aegislash will cause? Already happens in games without it, may as well bring it back.

Will people use Aegislash to counter Aegislash? Wouldn't be the -worst- idea. Aegislash is a Ghost type and if it can catch it at low health Shadow Sneak gets the job done. I can see how this isn't favorable.

Does P-Up Punch Lopunny counter Aegislash? No, but as a check (especially if Encore is also in the set) it has the potential.

The pivotal question. - Does Aegislash solve all of our problems?

It actually -does- create more of the same problem we already have. I would RATHER however bring Aegis down from 'OU Hell' (especially if it's being held there due to a concept that already exists without it in the tier.) than -not- and continue to allow centralization to occur at -any- degree.

Overall, I feel like the positives of bringing this back are far outweighed by the negatives. Like before, people will simply slap aegislash on their teams because by having aegislash on your team, you automatically check such a huge slew of threats. This creates a very aegislash-centric metagame, where almost everyone has a team that consists of aegislash + aegislash lure/check/counter + sweeper that appreciates aegislash being gone. It will have a huge (negative) impact on the diversity of the metagame. One of the main selling points of ORAS OU right now is the diversity, you see a lot of generally under-appreciated/lower tier pokemon being used in top-level tournament games (not so much on the ladder, but it should be no surprise that the average player will have less confidence to go against the grain), and bringing aegislash back will ruin this for the most part. What exactly has changed in ORAS to make dealing with aegislash easier anyway? Out of the new megas, lopunny can beat with it IF you win the king shield 50/50s. By definition, it doesn't even qualify as a check.

The thing about aegislash is that there isn't 1 trait alone that makes it broken, it's the whole package. The typing, the 50/50s forced by king shield, the utility, the versatility (it can run physical, special AND stall sets) all add up. Many pokemon that check one set will lose to another set, and the few pokemon such as mandibuzz that can take on both the offensive sets are badly crippled by the sub toxic stall set.

I don't know why people are bringing up the fact that they haven't seen many aegislashes on the ladder so far, is this supposed to mean something? First of all, your first 20 or so games will be against low ladder players, those battles mean absolutely nothing. Furthermore, games on the suspect ladder, especially when the suspect ladder has only just gone up, are not at all an accurate representation of what the metagame will actually be like once it settles down should aegislash be unbanned.

I'd also like to add the the ubers metagame is NOT taken into account when deciding what should or should not be banned from OU. Ubers is first and foremost an OU banlist, and the viability of pokemon sent to ubers is not a concern. Also, hilda is correct in saying that there will always be centralizing pokemon in any metagame. This is why a distinction between centralizing and overcentralizing has to be made; there will always be centralizing pokemon, but overcentralizing pokemon are downright unhealthy for a metagame.

I can safely say this was directed at me.

Playing the first few 20 or so games on the suspect ladder is not necessarily the low of the low players, especially since it just started so everyone have around the same deviation (at the time, the ladder just started). I said to say that it wasnt overcentralizing most of the games in my experience. But now that the ladder has progressed, it is evident that 90% on the upper ladder consists of Aegi + Mega Lopunny + electric type + phys defensive Garchomp + priority user (bisharp/azu) + special attacker. I apologize for my statement because the meta is now quite ridiculous. I don't have much experience with using/facing Aegislash as I never was around during the X/Y era. Personally I don't think it is too hard to stop, but it is quite powerful and meshes many roles into 1 pokemon. I wouldnt miss if it was gone.

Edited by Aero

I can safely say this was directed at me.

Playing the first few 20 or so games on the suspect ladder is not necessarily the low of the low players, especially since it just started so everyone have around the same deviation (at the time, the ladder just started). I said to say that it wasnt overcentralizing most of the games in my experience. But now that the ladder has progressed, it is evident that 90% on the upper ladder consists of Aegi + Mega Lopunny + electric type + phys defensive Garchomp + priority user (bisharp/azu) + special attacker. I apologize for my statement because the meta is now quite ridiculous. I don't have much experience with using/facing Aegislash as I never was around during the X/Y era. Personally I don't think it is too hard to stop, but it is quite powerful and meshes many roles into 1 pokemon. I wouldnt miss if it was gone.

It wasn't directed at you in particular bro, there were a few people that post could apply to.

I have a general feeling that it was aimed at anyone supporting Aegislash more fervently than you, Aero.

There's a couple of things to call into question here though. This is a suspect ladder that is focusing -on- Aegislash. - as you climb higher up the ladder - both for the sake of trying to fulfill one's active duty as a suspect tester and for the sheer reason behind the suspect test being on Aegislash, Aegislash -should- be common.

Earlier I was asking if Void was calling the ladder into contempt - but this is the rather nitpicky part where -I- call said ladder into contempt. The result of this -may- very well be that it's an overcentralizing Pokemon because the variables project a meta that is run by the Royal Sword. However, those variables need to be held accountable for possible influence as well. If the same teams are being seen over and over and over again here, it's not going to look good for Aegislash when the vote falls - and I'm okay with this. I'll continue to not like many things in OU and continue to struggle with dealing with threats that centralize it that are -not- named Aegislash.

If I were anywhere near the ability to vote (and I wouldn't be) I would vote for it to come back. Centralization isn't going to be fixed by keeping it out - and from my point of view, it causes OU to be hold only limited parity.