Any improvements to suggest?

primrose

wanting helpful suggestions and such, but i'm not particularly looking for any major overhauls in my team.

i've defeated Terra, so i can access everything before Agate. however, i've been having enough trouble with previous episodes to make switching back virtually impossible, so unfortunately i can't breed any tm moves at the moment.

(and also, a major thing to remember is that this team is a dragon type/egg group mono, so i'm limited to those groups.)

pokemon: charizard

ability: blaze

nature: modest

held item: flame plate

moves:

-- air slash

-- flamethrower

-- heat wave

-- dragon rage

pokemon: noivern

ability: infiltrator

nature: timid

held item: sky plate/silk scarf

moves:

-- super fang

-- air slash

-- dragon pulse

-- boomburst

pokemon: flygon

ability: levitate

nature: adamant

held item: earth plate

moves:

-- rock slide

-- rock smash

-- earthquake

-- dragon claw

pokemon: heliolisk

ability: solar power

nature: timid

held item: zap plate

moves:

-- surf/grass knot

-- thunderbolt

-- volt switch

-- dark pulse

pokemon: scrafty

ability: intimidate

nature: jolly

held item: black belt

moves:

-- crunch

-- ice punch

-- brick break

-- high jump kick

pokemon: dragalge

ability: adaptability

nature: modest

held item: toxic plate

-- sludge bomb

-- toxic

-- hydro pump

-- dragon pulse

(and i'm working on a kingdra at the moment, but as stated previously, my earlier-episodes issue is preventing me from getting tm moves on it.)

Edited by phoenix_fire

Here are my suggestions:

1. If Special Charizard works for you, that's fine - but I prefer to use a Physical Charizard - because of Dragon Dance. Other moves it could have are Flare Blitz, Dragon Claw and Wing Attack. Flare Blitz will hit hard but the HP loss can be quite annoying sometimes.

2. Personally, I would go for Flamethrower rather than Super Fang

3. It's a bit of a hassle but you could breed another Trapinch and make it learn Superpower instead of Rock Smash

4. Thunder Wave/Glare (the latter is better as it can attack Ground types) rather than Volt Switch.

5. I haven't used a Scrafty in Reborn before... but I'm pretty sure it has access to Dragon Dance as well? Moxie might be a better ability too.

6. Pretty good - but I think Surf will be better to use. You could change your Heliolisk's ability to Dry Skin and utilize its water-absorbing ability in doubles by using Surf.

Here are my suggestions:

1. If Special Charizard works for you, that's fine - but I prefer to use a Physical Charizard - because of Dragon Dance. Other moves it could have are Flare Blitz, Dragon Claw and Wing Attack. Flare Blitz will hit hard but the HP loss can be quite annoying sometimes.

2. Personally, I would go for Flamethrower rather than Super Fang

3. It's a bit of a hassle but you could breed another Trapinch and make it learn Superpower instead of Rock Smash

4. Thunder Wave/Glare (the latter is better as it can attack Ground types) rather than Volt Switch.

5. I haven't used a Scrafty in Reborn before... but I'm pretty sure it has access to Dragon Dance as well? Moxie might be a better ability too.

6. Pretty good - but I think Surf will be better to use. You could change your Heliolisk's ability to Dry Skin and utilize its water-absorbing ability in doubles by using Surf.

1. i did think about that, but recoil moves are something i really try to avoid at all costs. it's probably an irrational habit, but i stick with it.

2. in all honesty, i've been keeping super fang around for those high-level bosses ever since it helped me take down Solaris's garchomp. we are getting closer to the level-100 limit every update now, though, so i may just take you up on that.

3. aye, superpower's much stronger than rock smash, but i rarely need to use it in battle anyway; that's what my scrafty is for, and eq is more useful most of time, dclaw covering when it isn't. i just haven't had any need to remove it, since it's convenient utility. (also, there's my mentioned abhorrence for recoil moves.)

4. that status would probably be helpful. but breeding/retraining is often a hassle for me, and i'd have to spend a lot of time to get a proper heliolisk with either of those moves. it feels like a lot of fuss for what seems like little reward, since i haven't really been missing the status except for when i'm trying to catch a pokemon.

5. ddance is available to scrafty, yes. but i'm reluctant to replace any of scrafty's moves for it; brick break is the most likely candidate, but high jump kick isn't exactly the stab fighting move that i want to be using all of the time (thanks to that severe recoil and 10% chance of missing). i do want to keep that power around though.

6. that sounds like a good suggestion. i might end up missing hydro pump's extra power, though, so i'm not completely sure.

Edited by phoenix_fire

I get what you're saying about recoil, but believe us, it's worth it. The DD set is incomparably better than the special set. You can cleanly take an opponent out at the cost of ~1/4 of your health, or you can take a ton more damage due to it's sub-par defense while trying to duke it out without boosts. If that doesn't do it for ya, although it's inferior to Flare Blitz, +1 Fire Fang is stronger than Flamethrower by a good amount still. Oh, and Chary needs it's Speedy nature.
Also, Dragon Rage??? At this point??? Even if you want to stay special (though I really don't recommend it), at least go for Hidden Power or Ancient Power, jeez.

Super Fang is still fine at the moment, but if higher-leveled foes are a problem, Tailwind would be waaaay better for it, being able to outspeed it with any Pokemon is better than doing 50%, then still getting crushed. If you don't feel like training it up though, just keep Super Fang and replace with the Flamethrower TM when you feel like it. And you may want to stack up on some Normal gems for double-battles.

Flygon could use a Jolly nature. It could also use Superpower. Or at least give it a Hasty/Naive nature and Boomburst for double the noise complaints during double battles.

Also, Superpower has no recoil, btw. The stat drops blow, but Flygon has no set-up moves, so it's no problem to grab a kill and switch when prompted.

I'll disagree with the suggestion above, your team has no need for extra Speed in the form of paralysis (you only have already fast attackers and a DD-er and a bulky Dragalge) and Heliolisk doesn't have the bulk to waste time spreading status.

Volt Switch is bad. It's a great move for competitive battles, but it doesn't work so well in-game. Have Surf and Grass Knot, or give it HP Ice.

Definitely DD. You don't need double Fighting STAB, so ditch Brick Break. HJK only has recoil if you miss (which has a 1% chance if you give it a Wide Lens (found on wild Yanma on Azurine (20% of one of them holding one if you have something with Compound Eyes in the first party slot (even if it's fainted))).

If you go for DD (which I really think you should), make it Impish. DD will boost your speed anyways, Moxie boosts your attacks anyways, so extra defense to have with setting up is the best investment.

I'll agree with the above. Hydro Pump is barely stronger than Surf, while the accuracy is definitely better. T-Spikes would be better than Toxic, but I think both can be skipped (especially) in favor of T-Bolt (via pre-E13(my pinned guide in this section explains how to do it(you can also send me a PM))) or at least Hidden Power (Fire would be neat).

I get what you're saying about recoil, but believe us, it's worth it. The DD set is incomparably better than the special set. You can cleanly take an opponent out at the cost of ~1/4 of your health, or you can take a ton more damage due to it's sub-par defense while trying to duke it out without boosts. If that doesn't do it for ya, although it's inferior to Flare Blitz, +1 Fire Fang is stronger than Flamethrower by a good amount still. Oh, and Chary needs it's Speedy nature.

Also, Dragon Rage??? At this point??? Even if you want to stay special (though I really don't recommend it), at least go for Hidden Power or Ancient Power, jeez.

Super Fang is still fine at the moment, but if higher-leveled foes are a problem, Tailwind would be waaaay better for it, being able to outspeed it with any Pokemon is better than doing 50%, then still getting crushed. If you don't feel like training it up though, just keep Super Fang and replace with the Flamethrower TM when you feel like it. And you may want to stack up on some Normal gems for double-battles.

Flygon could use a Jolly nature. It could also use Superpower. Or at least give it a Hasty/Naive nature and Boomburst for double the noise complaints during double battles.

Also, Superpower has no recoil, btw. The stat drops blow, but Flygon has no set-up moves, so it's no problem to grab a kill and switch when prompted.

I'll disagree with the suggestion above, your team has no need for extra Speed in the form of paralysis (you only have already fast attackers and a DD-er and a bulky Dragalge) and Heliolisk doesn't have the bulk to waste time spreading status.

Volt Switch is bad. It's a great move for competitive battles, but it doesn't work so well in-game. Have Surf and Grass Knot, or give it HP Ice.

Definitely DD. You don't need double Fighting STAB, so ditch Brick Break. HJK only has recoil if you miss (which has a 1% chance if you give it a Wide Lens (found on wild Yanma on Azurine (20% of one of them holding one if you have something with Compound Eyes in the first party slot (even if it's fainted))).

If you go for DD (which I really think you should), make it Impish. DD will boost your speed anyways, Moxie boosts your attacks anyways, so extra defense to have with setting up is the best investment.

I'll agree with the above. Hydro Pump is barely stronger than Surf, while the accuracy is definitely better. T-Spikes would be better than Toxic, but I think both can be skipped (especially) in favor of T-Bolt (via pre-E13(my pinned guide in this section explains how to do it(you can also send me a PM))) or at least Hidden Power (Fire would be neat).

yeah, i'm aware that charizard's moveset is not so great. sadly, it's hp is fire, according to the hp person. if it was different, believe me, i would've changed to it a long time ago. as for physical charizard, you do make a convincing argument. i'll try it out.

aye, i think i have several normal gems by now just from picking them up off the ground as hidden items. and i actually did have tailwind at one point, but if i got any benefits out of using it, i never noticed them, which is why it's gone. so i may be using flamethrower instead.

i was talking about the stat drops when i said "recoil" there as well. i dislike using drawback moves like them on principle. but while i'm willing to get past that for a physical charizard, i don't see any reason to go to such a fuss for it with flygon. i've never missed having a good fighting move on it, since any pokemon that i would use one on usually can't take an eq very well either, and i'm skeptical that it could take something down that my scrafty couldn't. rock smash only is there because the utility is convenient, and i taught it to flygon back when it was a sheer force trapinch and mostly forgot about the move since.

i'll check my heliolisk's hp again. and honestly, i kind of have to disagree with your opinion about volt switch here, at least in my circumstance. the heliolisk i have is fast enough that volt switch usually hits before everything else, making it identical to the ordinary switch-out but with the extra damage. it's been useful for me. i'll take your suggestions into consideration though, since i haven't had much occasion to use volt switch, and it might be more beneficial to replace it anyway.

i guess i have a lot of breeding work ahead of me. ddance is an interesting opportunity, so i'll try it out too.

i've seen your breeding guide; i'm using it for my kingdra, after all. uvu like i've stated earlier though, i am having issues with going back to previous episodes, so i don't think i'll be able to breed tbolt onto a dragalge anytime soon. i might be taking you up on the t-spikes and surf though.

Edited by phoenix_fire

You need to have in mind that you need to decide between a Zard Y set and a Zard X set. When you get the megastones and the ring/bracelet/whatever, please do not run a physical zard Y or a special zard X.

You need to have in mind that you need to decide between a Zard Y set and a Zard X set. When you get the megastones and the ring/bracelet/whatever, please do not run a physical zard Y or a special zard X.

i'll keep that in mind, haha. future megastones have been far from my line of thought, so this is a good point, thanks.

Charizard

-Change its ability to Solar Power
-Ditch Flamethrower/Heat Wave and Dragon Rage
-Breed Dragon Pulse
-Teach it Tailwind

Noivern

-Change its nature to Modest

Flygon

-Get rid of Rock Smash
-Teach it Tailwind

Heliolisk

-Get rid of Volt Switch

-Teach it Thunder Wave or Glare

Scrafty

-Change its acility to Moxie
-Discard Brick Break
-Breed Dragon Dance

Dragalge

-Get rid of Hydro Pump and consider teaching it Surf, it's accurate and reliable.

yeah, i'm aware that charizard's moveset is not so great. sadly, it's hp is fire, according to the hp person. if it was different, believe me, i would've changed to it a long time ago. as for physical charizard, you do make a convincing argument. i'll try it out.

aye, i think i have several normal gems by now just from picking them up off the ground as hidden items. and i actually did have tailwind at one point, but if i got any benefits out of using it, i never noticed them, which is why it's gone. so i may be using flamethrower instead.

i was talking about the stat drops when i said "recoil" there as well. i dislike using drawback moves like them on principle. but while i'm willing to get past that for a physical charizard, i don't see any reason to go to such a fuss for it with flygon. i've never missed having a good fighting move on it, since any pokemon that i would use one on usually can't take an eq very well either, and i'm skeptical that it could take something down that my scrafty couldn't. rock smash only is there because the utility is convenient, and i taught it to flygon back when it was a sheer force trapinch and mostly forgot about the move since.

i'll check my heliolisk's hp again. and honestly, i kind of have to disagree with your opinion about volt switch here, at least in my circumstance. the heliolisk i have is fast enough that volt switch usually hits before everything else, making it identical to the ordinary switch-out but with the extra damage. it's been useful for me. i'll take your suggestions into consideration though, since i haven't had much occasion to use volt switch, and it might be more beneficial to replace it anyway.

i guess i have a lot of breeding work ahead of me. ddance is an interesting opportunity, so i'll try it out too.

i've seen your breeding guide; i'm using it for my kingdra, after all. uvu like i've stated earlier though, i am having issues with going back to previous episodes, so i don't think i'll be able to breed tbolt onto a dragalge anytime soon. i might be taking you up on the t-spikes and surf though.

The point of having a, say, Fire move on something other than just your Fire type is for back-up (and because nothing else good is obtainable). Wouldn't want to have to face a Scizor or Durant while your Charizard is down, eh? Same kinda reasoning as for Flygon's Superpower (though it's the second argument for that one, what else would you run.)

Thing is, in-game, you're always asked "_____ is about to switch in ______. Will you switch?" In comp, U-Turn and Volt Switch are used because that doesn't exist, they're used to keep momentum. In-game, there's no need for that, you can switch as soon as you kill something, and Heliolisk has no trouble doing that. Not to mention that whatever comes in will have to take a hit for free, and only really Dragalge and Scrafty on your team wouldn't really mind that much, but even then, it's unnecessary.

Oh, and about that Hidden Power, if it's not Ice or at least Dragon, don't bother. Dragon types are pretty much the only types you don't check with Surf/Grass Knot/T-Bolt. Due to STAB, any neutral HP would do the same amount as T-bolt.

There are only a few issues with it and I've tinkered around enough with this stuff that I'm pretty sure that I can help you out with that. PM me the details and we'll figure something out :)

Charizard

-Change its ability to Solar Power

-Ditch Flamethrower/Heat Wave and Dragon Rage

-Breed Dragon Pulse

-Teach it Tailwind

Noivern

Heliolisk

-Get rid of Volt Switch

-Teach it Thunder Wave or Glare

-He has no sun-setter and he's gonna take some damage from Flare Blitz, so Blaze is the better option in this instance, especially since he's said he will go for a physical set. Tailwind is also unavailable, sadly.

-Heliolisk really doesn't like taking hits and making it as fast as possible really helps with that, Timid>Modest for it. Also, his team sure doesn't seem like it's in need of Speed help, T-Wave or Glare aren't needed, especially since it's not the bulkiest thing in the world.

@Knight-Teutonic:

thanks, but a lot of that was already suggested and the rest dismissed. uvu as for changing noivern's nature, i'll take it into consideration. it's true that noivern's very fast already by itself.

@Etesian:

those are good points. i'll think about it.

i actually had double battles in mind when i mentioned volt switch being a help, as double battles don't provide that option. i suppose they're not seen too often, however.

(and pst. it's a bit irrelevant, but my gender's actually female. i believe it says so in my profile info. :] )

Edited by phoenix_fire

I'm really sorry about that. I had 4 topics yesterday (all by males) and 2-3 today, all of which had Flygon or Noivern and topics just kinda started...blending together. I'm really sorry, it was just an accident I swear.