Creative writing or not?

Maelstrom

I was sorting things on my computer when I found an old dream of mine that I'd written down when I woke up. And it pretty much reads out like a short story. Can I claim credit for it or did I steal it from myself, as it was created in my mind, but from something other than purposeful thought (or rather, thought under my distinct control)?

Anyways, please comment or rate, and perhaps help me answer the question ^.

[quote]I gently inspect the other side of the bananas with my fingertips. The one that looked good had a big, black soft spot on the back of it. I pull off its neighbor and begin to peel as I lean on the counter. The door to the backyard from the kitchen opens and a man walks in, a gun leveled at me. I barely glance up. [i]Good[/i]- no moths had followed him in.

He can‘t stand still and his movements are jerky. He looks at me, almost expectantly. I take a bite out of the banana.

“What?” I ask, a little bored as I liberate small slices of the fruit and chew.

His eyes dart back and forth and around the room, but constantly return to me.

“D-don‘t move! Just stay right there!” He takes small, shuffling steps at first as he walks in an arc around where I stand. His gun always pointed at me.

Now I lift my eyes up from the banana in my hand, “Do I look I‘m going to stop you?” He narrows his eyes at me.

“What? You think I should be afraid of you? Other people only think they’re afraid of you. They’re only afraid of the gun. You? You have no power. Without it, you’re nothing. If our roles were reversed- No, that’s why our roles aren’t reversed. You see this?” I gesture around the kitchen with a jerk of my head. “This is what real power gets you. You? You might be able to carry away some of this stuff. And then what? You‘re okay for a while- if you can sell it. Then what?” I repeat. He looks down. “All this, I can have replaced. What you can take is shit compared to all this. You wave that thing around and suddenly you’ve got cops after your ass and you always gotta worry that one of these days someone’s gonna try something. As soon as you started waving that thing around instead of doing real shit, you admitted you couldn’t do nothing. Admitted to the world that you [b]are[/b] nothing.” I shake my head and look down at the peel in my hand.

After a few moments, the kitchen door opens and closes. I’m alone in the kitchen again.
[/quote]