My First LC Team

Arkhi

I recently got into little cup. The accuracy required in the moves during a match and creation of the team appeals to me, so I suppose that's why I chose it. Without further ado, here is my team.

Keep in mind that I play competitively only on Showdown and PO, so that explains the use of Berry Juice instead of Oran Berries.

Wooper (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Def / 236 SDef / 36 HP
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Stockpile
- Toxic
- Scald

Pretty basic set. Wooper runs Stockpile to boost its defenses while recovering and dealing a bit of status damage here and there. When its defenses are fully set up, with its ability, Unaware, Wooper can take even a +4 Energy Ball from Chespin. Of course, because Unaware is there. Not my lead, but always great in case the foe has been setting up.

Baltoy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 SDef / 36 SAtk / 196 HP / 236 Def
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic

A lead that I am debating on using (I find myself starting off with Wooper more often). Baltoy isn't the best lead, even in LC, but it's the best thing that I could find to fit what I'm looking for. Something with Rocks, Spin, and a special "attacker". In quotes because I only use the attack if all else fails.
Also, QOTD: Should I run Berry Juice or Sash on this? It's not often taken down in one hit, but I find Baltoy fainting before the Juice activates.

Growlithe (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 196 SDef / 116 Atk / 156 Def
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

Growlithe is my most common switch-in if trouble arises. I am considering investing more EVs into Special Defense and HP/Attack, because the Intimidate & Burn combo seems to cover my defense relatively well. Outside of that, Growlithe is a great attacker. It can switch in, deal some pretty good damage, then get some health back from the recoil.

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 236 Atk / 196 SDef / 36 Def / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

Essentially, my set-up guy for the match. The second I can switch in for a SP or SD, I do so if Wooper/Abra isn't set up on the field already. He gets in, deals great damage, and can often sweep entire teams. I don't think I'll switch him out any time soon, but I'm debating if I should rock the Eviolite or Life Orb. Pawniard can take a hit from anything, excluding a Drain Punch from Timburr.

Abra (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 SDef / 76 Def
Timid Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

My rendition on a stall Abra. However, it is very taxing to cleanly set up and difficult to use in some scenarios. If the attacker can get something off before Abra can burn it, then gets Abra dangerously close to fainting or cuts a harmful gap in its HP. If I am able to set up, though, then I can stall quite well.

Helioptile (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dry Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 SAtk / 124 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Parabolic Charge
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
Okay, I couldn't not put Helioptile on my team. I love it. And even in battle, it's awesome. Water-type attacks, no problem. Got a ground type sweeping Pawniard or Growlithe? Send in Helioptile. With the Assault vest, it can definitely take a hit. And the STAB Parabolic Charge can hurt, while giving me health back to stay in the fight. Surf deals a clean amount of damage and Dark Pulse offers good coverage. However, I am thinking of taking it out for something else. I'm open to suggestions.

A thank you to everybody who can assist.

I don't know if there's a limit on how many eviolites you can have on one team. (Having never played LC myself) However if there isn't I'd switch the assault vest on your helioptile for an eviolite. It's just plain better. Other than that I can't really comment on your team not knowing the ins and outs of competitive LC.

tbh i think assault vest is just fine on helioptile especially because you've invested some bulk into sdef. not sure if baltoy really fits because out of all my lc battles ive seen only one and it got instantly destroyed by a totodile. it seems as though you rely heavily on heliptile for your water weakness and if that dies then im not entirely sure how well the team would hold together. i'd suggest finding something else to use in the place of baltoy. maybe something else that could soak up water/grass/ground moves for the rest of your team?

tbh i think assault vest is just fine on helioptile especially because you've invested some bulk into sdef.

Assault vest gives a 1.5x boost to special defense at the cost of potential status moves like t-wave.

Eviolite gives a 1.5x boost to both physical and special defense at no cost.