FlygonFreak's Awesome Reborn Shinylocke (kinda)

FlygonFreak

I'm sitting here, just finished playing Rejuvenation, all bored because I don't have any more juicy pokémon games to play. I COULD start working on a Pokémon fangame like I've been wanting to for over a year, or I could finish my backlog of JRPGs, but I'm way too lazy to do that. But suddenly, inspiration strikes. Reborn! That's a juicy pokémon fangame, right? So, I sit on my computer chair, and with a few clicks of my mouse I download Reborn and all those nice mods, make a backup of my "main" save file... but something's not quite right. I've already played Reborn 4 times, I'm surely going to get bored quickly. I think, and think again, and then some more, all while drinking a nice cup of tea.

Out of pure boredom, I start making my own character to play as (spriting's hard, y'all), and right as I finish, my brain clicks.

What if I made one of those text-based nuzlocke playthroughs? I mean, it could work, right?
So without further ado, I present thee:

FlygonFreak's Awesome Reborn Shinylocke (kinda)

First things first:

The Rules

1. Standard, "casual" nuzlocke rules apply, unless the rules say otherwise.

2. As this is a shinylocke, I can only use shiny pokémon.

3. I can catch any shiny pokémon I find in the wild, but will only actively hunt for shinies once per "route" (I might break the hunt rule sometimes, but only if a gym leader/boss gives me a very hard time).

4. Gifted/event pokémon must also be shiny, and won't apply to the "one per route" rule. This applies to eggs too, but I can only breed them with a (shiny) Ditto.

5. I must win every single battle, including optional ones, but I'll allow myself a "test" run before gym leaders/bosses to try out strategies and stuff. These won't count, and even if I win I'll have to re-do them.

6. The Gauntlet will be the only exception to the usual nuzlocke rules. It's too hard for me. Sorry.

7. If I lose the nuzlocke (aka get wiped out), I'll either keep going or just remove the "-locke" part of the run. I'll decide when that happens.

8. I'll use both Rare Candies and Max Revives as "resurrection tokens". If I reeeally want/need to use a mon, I'll allow myself to use one of these items. (I think it's fair, considering the price of Rare Candies and that Max revives can't be bought)

I know some of these break what a nuzlocke is, but, honestly, if I'm doing this I want to have fun. and that means I don't want to be stressed out or smth.

Chapter 0: A Series Of Unfortunate Events, or: Probably the only bit with actual story

Spoiler

vsTrainer0.png.a0c4f82015adf5add73bb8297bdb3542.pngintroBoy.png.a2277c3c5e8ffc31fb6d8a59867f97a7.png

Yonah is a good guy, but he's easily distracted. Too much to think about, too many things going on all at once. He's going back to Sinnoh from visiting his family in Johto, and although a plain would be faster, trains are cooler, right? So he goes online, buys a cheap train ticket, doesn't next day he's at the station with everything ready. He takes a quick glance at his ticket, not bothering to properly check the correct gate, when...

THUD!

He bumps into a guy his age, and drops the ticket and his glasses. He can't see properly, but a dark blur and a silvery shine on the floor are enough for him to grab his dropped belongings, apologize and quickly get out of the way, trying to avoid any kind of conflict.

One hour later he's finally on the train, and another hour after that he wakes up from a long nap. The trip back to Sinnoh is a long one, usually four or more hours. After checking his belongings he grabs his phone, ready to finish watching that new anime his brother recommended, but a woman with white hair sits in from of him, trying to get his attention.

capture000.thumb.png.c93609671908139d36d1b9da56d47d2c.png

For the first time in the entire trip he looks out through the window, trying to avoid eye contact...

But something's off.

Instead of the usual mountainous scenery, there's massive golden dunes that go as far as the eye can see. Since when is there a desert in Johto, or Sinnoh, or in between?

He looks at the woman in disbelief, who looks back as if nothing's wrong.

capture001.thumb.png.ef9ab56efc731452a9e7bafd8436d4cf.png

"M-my turn?" He's in complete shock: heart racing, head spinning, vision blurry... "Where the hell am I?"

She looks back at Yonah a bit worried, but explains nonetheless. Instead of Sinnoh, this train's destined for Reborn, a small region that, despite her kind and reassuring words, sounds like it's in complete shambles. Of course, not only did he take the wrong train, he also had to take the one going to the worst place on Earth. Whatever, it's just a matter of grabbing a new ticket back to Sinnoh--

BOOM

The first thing he remembers is the horrible smell of the city, hitting him like a truck and waking him up with a gasp. The woman from the train is there, and so is a green-haired... cheerleader? Yonah tries to move, but his body hurts too much. There are screams in the background, the sound of police sirens... It takes a bit, but with the help of that woman he's able to get up and take his glasses out of his pocket, which seem to have miraculously survived the impact.

Where there should be a train station, there's instead a big pile of rubble.

There's no need to ask: going back home is going to be impossible from now on.

He's stuck in a new region.

((Don't worry, I won't make more stories like this one, I just wanted to stretch my writing muscles a bit and also give an "explanation" to why this weird blue boi is stuck on a gloomy place like Reborn))

Chapter 1: The Struggle Of Finding A Suitable Partner

So, I've got a small surprise. This ain't gonna be one of those LAME shinylockes, NO. This is gonna be a FUN shinylocke. That means R A N D O M  S T A R T E R. Originally I wanted to use a Kartana (I have a custom shiny for it and everything, my precious origami boi), but he was too stronk.

There's a catch, though. Besides being shiny (which means I need to first get a shiny starter), I'll only allow pokémon that

a) aren't starters

b) can evolve

c) aren't too op/big event pokémon I'm supposed to get in the future (Ralts, Riolu, Poipole/whatever)

and d) can beat both Veronica AND Cain.

This is to ensure the starter isn't too OP or weak, and that I can actually do something with it.

To randomize the starter I'll use one of these bad bois.

There's a mod there that allows you to randomize your starter, which imo is better than using debug.

So, first thing first, the poor mon that is getting randomized is...

capture003.thumb.png.55a69e27d6e9505119a205a1919ba0d4.png

This awesome lad! I usually choose Chimchar cuz he's a beautiful boi, so it seemed fitting.

And now, time for the runner ups. These are the starters that got chosen but didn't make it through Cain and Veronica's grinder (usually due to typing or stats)

capture010.thumb.png.fc761c0876da24950ad812638a02f139.pngcapture008.thumb.png.ce62708245b67b5d0ff2abe5a0b87d3f.pngcapture005.thumb.png.957132dd6a735e9a878425f4b5e8e141.png

Kinda sad, because they all seemed pretty cool. Specially Morelull, I've never used one.

But enough sad, time for the winner...

DRUM ROLL

capture011.thumb.png.d0c45db1e0bffc10b8e680879583ac49.pngcapture013.thumb.png.e53106b4372d305c40568fba0c99a4db.png

This fella! Coal the kitty, a very talented albeit kinda boring lad. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to use something more... I don't know, cool, but he's a cutie so who cares.

And that's the end of the first chapter! The next one will be up to (but not including) Julia's gym, though I don't know when I'll actually make it. Hope you liked this!

PS: Fuck this guy, and fuck his useless fish. If I ever get that far, trust me, I won't bother shiny hunting it.

capture014.thumb.png.cf88f9996813eabdbcb5ccbdad1a0a81.png