Starters

Moxxey

This has been bothering me since the new version released a few weeks ago. I want to start a new file for v12, but can't decide on a starter. I used Primarina for v11 and honestly loved her, but I want to try to use some different Pokemon this play-through, so that's not an option. Usually I'd just use the Randomizer and soft reset 'til I got something good, but I'm just not having any luck this time.

What starters do you guys like using, and why? What do you think would work well for an Intense playthrough of v12?

inb4 everyone says Speed Boost Torchic

Also, I have a save from way back in v9 where I managed to get a Jangmo-o. Is it worth using? I know Kommo-o is a monster, but it's baby form is super frail and it gets 0 good moves before evolving, which made trying to level it up a pain.

I always choose Snivy, contrary is still good even you dont have Leaf Storm as NPC like to use moves that decreases stats a lot. When you get Leaf Storm, it becomes a killing machine (130 Power STAB move + 2 stage Special atk boost is no joke) the downside is it not very bulky and not very good against flying, fire, bug,...basically anything resis grass unless you get maximum buff from Leaf storm. Infernape has a good move pool and a good ability (Iron Fist, boots punch moves),Empoleon is also a good choice (Steel type) but you can catch wild Piplups after get surf. Venusaur is kinda bulky and it can learn Powders move, so you can cheese everything. Swampert has good move pool and good type matchup (Ground/Water, Grass says hi but you can catch a Fletchling early). Or you can use whatever you like.
If you want to use Kommo-o but raise Jangmo-o is a pain, you can use another pokemons and raise it till Narcissa gym, where it can evolve to Hakamo-o at lv35 and has decent stats. I dont remember what TM you can have at the time but maybe you can find something useful for it?

Generally speaking, I'd advise against choosing a Grass starter on Intense Mode unless you're explicitly doing some sort of themed run- while they may be awesome in the current endgame, they start off at too severe a disadvantage in Rejuvenation to make it worth it between the first Gym being Poison and the second and third Dimensional Rifts being part Fire. Chesnaught's shenanigans with Spiky Shield are genuinely fun in Reborn, though.

Protean greninja is protean greninja- I don't believe that needs any further explanation. It's a shame you've already ruled out primarina, though- it's the only other Water starter I haven't been personally unhappy with so far.

Fire, on the other hand, is bloody stacked with amazing options. Speed Boost blaziken might be better in most peoples' eyes, but infernape really shouldn't be slept on because of it- higher base Speed, solid mixed offenses, natural access to Calm Mind and Taunt, and reliable Fighting STAB that doesn't make you instantly dead on failure allows it easily stand op tall as a high-tier choice (if it ever bothered to stop slouching over all the time- dude's gotta keep a better eye on his posture!).

Delphox is pretty dang fun in these games. Being able to pop one of those powerful Seeds and then rob the enemy of an important Item via Magician to have that slot filled anyway makes for some real silly plays- nabbing Leftovers for extra longevity is great with defensive seeds, stealing an opponent's Life Orb before they can use it is a nice nerf to them and a great buff to your firepower, to give a couple examples. Mystical Fire's also a nice tool in its arsenal- though slightly weaker than Flamethrower, it does get boosted by a fair few more Field Effects than it, and has the added bonus of being guaranteed to dock the enemy's offensive potential a stage if they survive, letting it be useful for both offense and Defense as the need arises!

Typhlosion is pretty bonkers as well. It's tied with entei, a Legendary pokemon, as the Eruption user with the highest Speed stat, letting it mess up a lot of things stupendously badly before they can do anything- especially in Double Battles! I mean, a 150 BP STAB attack striking both foes off of a base 109 Sp. Attack stat? That's kinda nuts! Just be sure to stop by the Move Relearner to learn it, since you'll otherwise be stuck waiting until Lv. 83 to do so. Typhlosion also has the high honor of being of the few non-Grass Types to learn Nature Power, letting it take advantage of any Field Effect you find yourself in (bar Inverse Field; using Trick Room on a speedy sweeper is generally a poor choice). It does get yet another new toy pretty late in the game, but I'm not personally all that familiar with it yet, so... yeah.

Incineroar gets Intimidate. Apparently that's some sort of big deal? Darkest Lariat's also a pretty nice tool to have against Defense-boosting foes, which would otherwise be a massive pain to deal with, which gives another noteworthy point to the showy tiger.

• Upvote 1

Litten pick should be super good for double battles, it is the VGC cat afterall.

mudkip and chimchar is also good but if you really trynna win then ye.... blaziken speed boost can carry from start to finish

@khanh_mai I actually used Snivy way back in v9 and he carried me through so many fights. Even stuff that resisted Grass still took a bunch of damage. I wouldn't be against using him again. I love Empoleon, but not having access to Flash Cannon or even any good water moves till Terajuma mkaes it hard for me to want to use him. Swampert is solid, but I kind of already have plans for a Water type. Venusaur is something I haven't really thought about before, though I do like him as a Pokemon.

I could definitely do that for Jangmo-o, especially since you can get an Exp. Share pretty early in the game.

@Autumn Zephyr  Yeah, I can see what your saying about Grass types. With the exception of Serperior, I could never seem to get further than the second Gym with a Grass starter. They were just frustrating to use.

Greninja's one of those Pokemon that I have always slept on. I've got nothing against it and, like, I know how strong it is with Protean, but it never occurs to me to use it. Honestly, if I wasn't so dead set on using a Vaporeon, I'd probably just pick Primarina again. It put in so much work.

I don't think I've ever gone through the game with a Fire starter before, though given the choice, I'd pick Infernape over Blaziken any day. Mach Punch + Iron Fist is such a good combination for picking off weakened 'mons, and access to Calm Mind and Taunt open the door to some neat movesets! I didn't realize just how buffed Typhlosion and Delphox were in this game. That might just seal the deal right there, lol.

And the king of VGC himself. Darkest Lariat would help so much against Natasha's annoyingly bulky ghosts.

@kream Gotta love the furry wrestler! With the sheer amount of double battles in this game, he'd probably do really well. It's an option, especially since I didn't use him much in Sun/Moon/US/UM. Blaziken I actually have used before, but I just don't like it that much. IDK, maybe I should try it again. I know it's objectively the best starter in the game.