Custom Metagame w/ Field Effects?

WujiKyurem

Hi, everyone! I'm not 100% certain if this is the correct place to post this thread, but I'm going to go ahead anyway:

I've been mostly away from Pokemon for about 3 years now. I might engage in some battles on Showdown once every few months, but other than that, the only Pokemon-related item that I've given considerable time to is complaining about Gen 6 OU Pokemon Reborn. One fateful day, I was looking over the field effects scheduled to be implemented in E16, while reminiscing over the weather wars of old. Then the thought hit me -- what if there were a metagame that utilized one of the great aspects of the greatest Pokemon game ever created to form a competitive scene of sheer greatness? (someone find this man a thesaurus) It seemed like such a sweet idea to me that I took the liberty to draw up a 'blueprint' for how such a format could work. I encountered a problem immediately, as out of the 35 field effects announced, only 6 (Electric, Grassy, Misty, Burning, Swamp, and Rainbow) can be created with no other field effect already present. My solution lies in a made-up item: the PULSE Machine. Le gasp!
(the name is subject to change)

A Pokemon holding a PULSE Machine is said to be a PULSE Pokemon, and only one PULSE Pokemon would be permitted per team (kinda like Megas). Each field would have a dedicated move that, when used by a PULSE Pokemon, creates it. For simplicity's sake, I just chose each field's Nature Power move. For instance, a PULSE Pokemon using Thunderbolt would create Electric Terrain immediately after the opposing Pokemon finishes taking damage -- and any field created by a PULSE Pokemon is permanent until transformed or terminated. If Thunderbolt were to fail or miss, nothing happens. Since not all fields are created equal (Underwater allows for Slowbro to speed-tie with fully-invested Jolly Weavile), I think it would be best if when on standard terrain, players could only create fields that are directly terminable. You know, for balancing reasons. All these nonsense PULSE Machine rules are present in addition to the rules of the field effects, obviously. As another example, while a PULSE Pokemon can use Acid Spray in Misty Terrain to create a Corrosive Mist Field, any Pokemon can use Clear Smog to achieve the exact same end. As far as what Pokemon would be legal in this new meta, I was thinking that implementing the standard OU banlist with an additional Mega Stones ban might be a good idea. Not much can really take hits these days, even without the aid of field effects.
stall is dead, long live stall </3

The list of what creates what when (which is subject to change) can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dKtpd7F2Hku5RzW4PDCSoAWU1Q-zvY-9CAzjWpPscHE/edit
^ don't forget to read! ^

I realize that there are likely some logistical and ethical concerns with this idea. If so, I'm sure that Ame or the other admins/mods/aces will let me know. (Please do!) There's also invariably loads of coding involved in an undertaking like this one, and I'm not the resident expert in that department xD
Although, maybe I could learn.
At the moment, this all seems like pie in the sky to me. But who knows -- with a little help from the community (you guys) and sufficient levels of support, maybe this pipe dream could become reality.

If you have any suggestions for things that should be amended, completely new ideas, or even theories on what Pokemon or fields would dominate the meta, give me a reply!
~ Thanks! :D

Edited by WujiKyurem

If someone was fighting on a field like you are describing then Pulse pokemon would be pratically unstoppable because they would be able to change the field into what best suits them AND weakens their opponent. Obviouslyy it wouldn't work for all pokemon but what if a water Pulse mon is up against a fire mon? Then it would easily be able to set up and get to underwater field effect quickly. Not to mention that changing field effects so quickly would be hard for a lot of people to adjust that quickly.

Right, but in this model, the only way to set up Underwater with PULSE mons is to first set up an Icy Field, turn that into one of the Surface fields, and then Underwater. Nothing can set up Underwater on standard terrain because it's not directly terminable. Mons can't change anything they want in every circumstance lol, that would be totally busted. If you didn't check the link, you should, bc it tells you what can change which fields. It's not final and is definitely open to modification but it will give you a better idea of what things would look like.

EDIT: The best scenario I can think of for a team built around the Underwater field is opening with PULSE Lanturn and going for Ice Beam, Whirlpool, and Volt Switch in the first 3 turns. Switch into Manaphy, use Dive, and start setting up Tail Glow. That might be hard to execute because of how low Lanturn's defense stat is. Its HP is high enough that you could probably get away with investing in Defense, but you still might have to play carefully.

Edited by WujiKyurem

I'm sure we could come up with a better name if we tried. I was iffy on it too, but I couldn't think of anything else to name it that stayed true to flavor lol. That's open to change, too. But check the link, guys! The way one would create the Cavern here would be to (a. use Rock Tomb with a Pokemon with the special held item (to create a Cave), and (b. use Power Gem with either the same mon or a different mon. It's harder to set up by design, but not impossible. I'm sure there are some really interesting synergistic options for users of those two moves. I can see Breloom and Starmie working well together. As far as making it easier to set up certain fields, idk what a balanced way to implement that would be. Maybe requiring a held item, move, and something else? But then again, it would be super game-breaking if one mon could set up something like the Fairy Tale Field (which you can't terminate) completely on its own. Unless maybe you use one of the three Terrain moves? That could work but then the meta might be heavily centralized around those moves. But then again, you might be onto something.

Edited by WujiKyurem