[CW: Short Story? Feedback!] Graterras: Proof of Origin.

Raindrop Valkyrie

((Birth of a Universe, For Clarity. This is a first hand account of this story: http://www.rebornevo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21087-graterras-birth-of-a-universe-cw-short-story/&tab=comments#comment-522692))

[What one is about to lay eyes upon is the oldest historical document known to exist in all of Graterras, or at the least, a translation of the document in question. As is, it is probably the most important document ever written. lt's contents, the firsthand account of "The Dispersal" as written by The Breath of the Universe or as we now have come to know him, Zephyros. However, it is worth noting He never himself refers to himself by this name. He will tend to call himself "Breath". Apologies for the tangent back on track. lt was originally written in an old tongue of draconic, one that was even difficult to decipher amoungst dragonkind due to it's age. What you witness is the culmination of the toil of numerous sage, scholar and those that wish to understand this world we call our home. This was only made possible however by the contributions of one Argentum Deus, The Alabaster Dragon. He has generously donated not only his time, but his knowledge of Archaic Draconic, something that was thought lost.

This document is tantamount to none other, as it's significance cannot be understated. This is the proof of the origin of our universe. An account that confirms the existence of the primordial being Heartbeat. As such, within all scholarly circles it is known simply as, The "Proof of Origin". 

-Duncan Adicas, Headmaster of the Raven's Spire.]

"This is a record for posterity. l... feel a compulsion to do this, and an instinct. l do not know these words l write other than that they are a gift from my father. They naturally come to me. l am told in my mind that this is because l am the Breath of the Universe. l cannot do naught but observe at the moment. Observe the dispersal of my Father. l will commit my thoughts to memory so that when l find myself less than petrified l may write them down so that my thoughts may live on. l'm told it ls my purpose by Father. So, l shall imprint it within my mind."

[A note is scrawled into the margin here. lt reads "lt is understood that this imprinting is a method of perfect memory recall employed by Zephyros. He often found himself in charge of chronicling as a result of this ability. lt seemed in part Heartbeat somehow knew this as Zephyros mentions it was his father that told him this was his purpose in the memories he left to him."]

"The Emergence of Flame and Hope."

A considerable amount of time has passed. l'm... not sure if anything is truly happening but l do not think my Father would fill me with falsehoods. He'd have to be an exceedingly cruel being to do so. l do not think such a thing describes him. After all the fact l exist is a testament to such. He sacrificed himself to create beings that would not feel the gripping talons of loneliness that he himself endured. He couldn't possi... What was that?

A thunderous crack echoes through the expanses. My father's body, crumbles open around where his heart resided in his chest. Pure starfire drips from the postmortem wound, hotter than any star he ever created while he yet lived. The pure light pools beneath his body, as if his lifeblood had leaked from him. l can feel the heat on my skin of air, if l had a physical body l'm sure my skin would crack and peel at this magnificent sight. l know it is my privilege as the Breath of the Universe to witness this. My father had planned it so, that l wouldn't lose my life witnessing this event.  l wonder if l truly cannot move or it is my curiosity that truly keeps me here...

However, l do not get to reflect on this thought for much more than a moment, as l feel the starfire awake. l hear a cry of brilliance, a keening that pierces the sky with power, with an emotion l cannot describe. But, that is not all. A second cry comes to match that it's sister cry, perhaps even surpassing it. This one... this cry l can understand it's intent. lt is a cry of hope. Of optimism. One that cannot wait to meet the world that it's father left to it. The starfire takes a form much like my own. lt looks... as if it is one of the many sisters and brothers my father meant to give me so that l'd not be lonely like him.

The being was comprised solely of a brilliant auburn flame. lt lost some of it's initial intensity as a single pocket of it's former visage appeared in it chest, where the heart of a being of flesh and blood, such as my father, would reside. This, "heart" retained it's brilliance, like a star was born in this dragon's chest. However, l'd soon find something else was to be born instead. A twin, another dragon came from the one comprised of pure flame. Another dragon made purely of starlight. She reflected her sister's aspects, but burned with an intensity twice hers. l felt...an overwhelming sense that l'd never be alone looking upon the second sister. Her light touched my heart and l felt... like everything would be okay so long as she existed in this universe.

[another note in the margin reads, "The birth of one set of twins, The Soul of the Universe together. The first, Pyrea, The Emotion of the Universe. The second, Mydis, The Hope of the Universe." ]

The two screamed into the distance, hand in hand. l watched the two sisters fly off giggling and laughing to each other. l don't think they saw me. l hoped, that they had enough emotion left to spare for me. l couldn't help but...hope that they would love me. That they would think me worthy of that. l'm... not sure why l felt this so heavily in my chest. But, once more l'd not find myself with much time to wonder. l heard another crack in the body of my father. 

"The Emergence of Water, and a Demon That Lurked it's Depths."

A deafening crescendo. All that is the sound from crashing waves as they bash into the now rocky skull of my father's body. l do not know how long l listened to those mad waves pund agaist the rock, but eventually, they broke through. For my father's forehead a dark murky substance poured. This being was far from the Sisters that had been unleashed earlier. The being was anything but brilliant. The murky substance looked repugnant. l'm not sure if it smelled to high heaven though as l wasn't close enough, but l was glad for this fact. The flow only grew in intensity, lt began to pour out of anything available orifice in my father's head. However, l soon began to notice that the dark sludge was separating from what appeared to be water. The two began to form into molds independent of the other. l suppose, another set of twins.

The water formed faster, as the liquid flowed with ease as compared to the sludge. lt formed a body in the shape of another dragon. However, this dragon in some way looked more at home being called a catfish, but l digress. lt seemed to flow forth from where my father's mind once resided... but that couldn't possibly be correct could it? l was born forth from his mind. The sisters born forth of emotion, a flaming display of it's intensity. Was this being one of knowledge? lt would be understandable, My father oft in his thoughts refers to it as if knowledge were an ocean. Perhaps he was being more literal than l had first thought. l did see the folly in this given my body of air and my sister's of fire, my father was... a strange individual.

l did lose myself in my musings for a moment. So, l will admit, l missed some of what had transpired. l had the sound of gnashing teeth in a moment. The dark sludge had formed another creature, that lashed out at everything in reach. This mostly was the dragon of water. They clashed, though it wasn't much a battle. The inky blob flailed, mostly out of instinct. l saw the panic and fear writhe through it's body. This being was not meant to be. Perhaps, a lingering of the feeling that drove out Father to this. Doubt, fear... loneliness. This being was made from the darkness that hid deep within the mind. With the fiery emotions of light now gone, it was no longer kept at bay. l almost pitied this creature... but the sight of him filled my very being with dread. l knew that one day... he'd bring the universe much grief in his fear. But, l couldn't bring myself to hate him. He was my brother. Fear, doubt... grief, it poisoned him. He was not of sound mind. l feared for him, and what he may do. The water dragon for now defeated his brother, and panted heavily at the horror of it all. l'm sure he did not expect such a welcome into the world.

The Ocean of the Universe. There was so much pain in his face... l knew what he thought as l had thought it too. He wondered why such a being was born from the body of our Father, what the meaning of it was. But, unlike l he couldn't dare look at it. lt sickened him that such a thing could come from him. That a being made up of nothing but phantom emotions now dwell in our world. He did not see a brother in the twisted inky being, he saw only a monster. He gave chase to it, fearing what the being would go unchecked in the universe our father created. He feared the destruction of what our Father gave us more than the being itself. The Despair of the Universe... there was naught a more woeful existence in the stars.

["The birth of the Ocean of the Universe, Deluge. And, the birth of the Despair of the Universe, The Faceless Dragon."]

"Platinum Justice, and Obsidian ldeals."

So much time had passed... so much. l began to grow weary as l drifted, l'm sure l nearly fell into a deep slumber. As such, l decided to see if l could finally move my body if l had recovered enough to do so. Perhaps l'd find an answer within that. l found that my body was finally under my control, my muscles responded to my call. l called to clasp my hand. lt closed it's grip tight. l called to kick my legs, it sent me soaring. lt was hard to control at first... l should practice. But, clearly this control meant l was meant to leave. l spent the time, learning to control my form so that'd l'd not get lost unable to control my flow. But, l found a strange feeling swelling in my chest. One of conflict. l wasn't sure what it truly was, but l could only feel it well up more and more within my chest. l looked to the only thing l knew to be active here... though l thought to myself surely there couldn't be more.

To my chagrin l discovered my task yet finished as yet again my Father's body stirred. l was enjoying learning how to use my body too. l suppose it'd have to wait as l had more observing to do. At the least... they didn't take long to emerge. A relief. Two more dragons burst forth. They... were opposites of one another. Reflections. l could understand the feeling in my heart now as l looked upon them. From the bottom came a flash of silvery light, dull at first but soon brilliant beyond belief. lt sparkled as if caught in the light of a newly formed sun. A dragon with glittering platinum scales emerged. He was... l still do not know the words to bet put it. There was a power within him great beyond compare. A mere glance upon him filled my heart with something l couldn't understand. A feeling... equally mystifying as it was grand.

lt however didn't stop there. From above at a mirrored angle emerged yet another. Scales blacker than the night sky, a dark obsidian. A power that mirrored the other in all ways. A dark force as great as his light. His light caught in her form, showing me her edges, her being. She was unlike the mass of ink that had been born with the Ocean. She was of sound mind, a deliberate being. One l shuttered before. Their beauty was unmatched by anything l had seen yet. l felt a sorrow for them however. This brother and sister, they were doomed to fight for eternity. l could see it in their souls, and their eyes. The two exchanged glances for but a moment. A spark of tension mounted between them. As if silent lightning shot between their eyes. The two of them would forever be entwined in a battle of ideals. Together they represented the ideals of the universe. l knew not which was to win... or if either ever truly could. One without the other would have no purpose to exist. They were two sides of the same coin. Without the other, they'd cease to be and yet... they were forced to do battle. l wondered for a moment about who my Father was. What did he suffer through that he'd leave this to his children? Perhaps... he was cruel to leave some of us to these fates. l do not however accept he meant for this. l suppose however, this is the cost of creating beings from the pieces of oneself. We are left incomplete. lmperfect shards of a once great being.

The ldeals of the Universe, they taught me an important lesson. One that l'm sure will often surface in the future.

["The Birth of the ldeals of the Universe. The Platinum Dragon, Bahamut and his sister Tiamat."]

But that wasn't the end of this stirring. Suddenly, this space was filled with a horrible scream. One of pain, suffering. lt pierced my own soul with it's intensity. l quickly understood. The last remaining piece of our Father had awoken. The Body... lt was so full of gaping wounds, ones that did not bleed but were wounds all the same. He screamed as he suddenly had life. But, his existence was only pain. He did nothing but bellow his agony into the universe. l tried to plug my ears to waylay this sonic assault, but it did only so much to quell the being cries. lt was the only being to notice my presence as it turned and tossed in it's fits of convulsions. His dead eyes spotted me, shooting fully open. He was the only to speak to me. "K...k...." he sputtered in-between his mad cries. He mustered all his power to speak to me...

"Kill me, release me from this torment!"

l couldn't. lt was greatest mistake made, and always will be for as long as this universe exists. l should have shown him mercy. l should have ended his suffering. He'd not have become what he was... he'd not have become the World Eater. his mind slipped from the one moment of clarity he could muster. The one he used to beg of me mercy. l was the monster... l doomed him. lt... was my fault he became what he did. l should've listened to him, when he was still the brother l could've loved. Whoever he was meant to be, was swallowed by the immense pain he felt. He couldn't feel anything but pain. All he could desire was to end it. He had to destroy all that his Father had created... it was the only way.

Our Father... he didn't want this. He could've never wanted this. l will never believe that. l believe this is why he put me here... to oversee the birth of my siblings to correct anything he could not foresee. But... l failed him. He failed me too. He should've never put a child in the place he'd have to kill his own brother. But, l do not think he'd be able to understand that pain. He knew no siblings of his own.

["The Birth of Magnus, Eater of Worlds"]

What... what have l done? This, my greatest sin. But, yet, l feel if l had shown him mercy l'd still be damned. His blood would stain my hands. Father... what cruel existence you've doomed us to. Heh... lt's... such a tragedy. HEHHEHHEH! lf only... you knew what you've done. But, you don't have to live with your choice. We do.

• Like 1

There is not much i can say considering that i have extremely limited writing experience but this is a really great story. Soliloquy at the end there really intrigues and makes people wonder what happens next though i don't think i recall reading about Magnus in the earlier version. Would like to see more if you have the time for it. 

Edited by sosobean

Spoiler

All that remained now, was the rock that had once been the body of the Primordial Being. It seemed, lifeless as it just floated in the vacuum of space. The husk that once held so many things, was now empty. Breath stared at it wondering if, something else had yet to come forth from it. After all, the last time he had thought it over, it wasn't. He would find himself correct once more. Except, this time, nothing came out of the body. The Body itself was given new life. Stone cracked and dust flew off of it in all directions as the once stationary corpse began to move. It wasn't undeath, but new life. The giant being, remained the size of their father previously. He was an immense dragon made from pure stone. The first thing he did with his life... was scream in pain. Breath knew why. He, only remembered vague things from his Father's time, after all, he didn't inherit his Father's knowledge, but he did inherit his mind. And with it some things remained regardless. One of them, was that his father used his own body to create the worlds within the cosmos. Did, this new dragon feel all this pain? Was it because pieces of him were torn away? Did their father feel this pain? Breath noticed the thousands of missing pieces that lined the skin of this new dragon, the one that now owned the body of his father. This dragon, had inherited the Stone of the Universe, but with it, the Pain of the Universe as well. His body felt the pain of being split into many pieces. It didn't effect the Primordial Being, but this dragon wasn't nearly as complete as he. He was a living world like his father, but, he was nothing more than that.

That's the part that refers to Magnus in the original. l figured l'd add more to that section to give it more context from Breath, or Zephyros sort of unraveling what was happening to his brother in his mind. Zephyros was only a passive observer to all the others births, he has nothing to do with them. He only finally gains control once Bahamut and Tiamat come forth but the two of them are absorbed in their rivalry they don't notice him either.

Magnus, or more accurately, whoever Magnus was before he became what he is now, was the only one to speak or even acknowledge that Zephyros was there. So, he had a choice there. That was sorta the idea of doing the part at the end despite this account being one of historical importance. Was the feeling he had from that event was... quite a strong one and one he knew he'd come to deeply regret. ((and he will, Magnus is more or less a mindless monster that does 1 thing, devour worlds.))it's important to the account to note because at that time, Zephyros wasn't passively observing. He had to participate ((or make the choice to do nothing l suppose XD.)) and history was set into motion by him making that call, one he immedately regrets and knows isn't going to be good in the future.

As for the dragons... hmmm. l'll have to see how much more of their story l tell. There's certainly some to be done for sure. ((as l'm sure you've noticed one of the 9 dragons wasn't even mentioned here lol.)) and the actual world of Graterras has yet to be established and the dragons (or at the least, some of them) do assist in it's creation so probably safe to say it's not the last of them we'll see.

Totally did not know that u replied to me until you posted this in discord which made me come here again.

Sadly quote is broken. Thanks for the explanation hukuna sempai (is it true that you hate being called that?). About the part where you are sure that i've noticed that 1 of the dragons wasn't noticed, I'M SORRY. I did not notice that until you told stated it out (shows how much my worth my opinion has eh).

Also what relations do the graterras rp has with this (bear with my stupid questions okay).

@sosobean note, there's no such thing as a dumb question. The only dumb question is one unasked.

Ripper roo, the quote actually works for me,  like l can see it and open the spoiler so that's.... interesting.))

First ye, l'm not the biggest fan just cause of the implications in anime etc... not a fan of the quote. There's other reasons as well but eh, l'll spare you on that. ((nut sure where you've heard that though XD. Unless you've just been around for a long time in Reborn cause people laregly stopped referring to me as such cause l dislike it lol.))

Funnily, it's fitting you didn't. The last dragon is the Dragon of Nothingness after all XD. She goes unnoticed for a rather long time in universe. (l've save how she's found for another story though l suppose.))

l'm assuming your referring to the original RP, or Word in Peril. Though... Clash of Fates is still in the same universe so the relation would actually be the same regardless. lt's it the origin of the Universe of, the being that put it into place at the least. Heartbeat, or the Father oft mentioned in this piece created the framework but as l'm sure you know from the first story falls into a depression and unravels himself in his loneliness. Thus creating his children to carry on. Though of course in ways this backfires as he breaks down each aspect of himself so his darker ones also are given form.)) but it's the true creation myth of the whole universe. The dragons are oft forgot entities at large in the world. They didn't create Graterras itself. the world on which it takes place. That was the work of the Divines the Dragons create to watch over Graterras, Or their father's magnus opus, the finest world he ever crafted.

l'll probably tell those origins at some point. lt's where the story will naturally continue to.