The Bold and the Beautiful

NickCrash

Hello Rebornians!!! Given it's Christmas time and everybody is caught up in the holiday cheer, people start playing pokemon even more aggressively. So... I thought "Why not make a team... that's AGAINST the most fanatics of religion?". So, here's a team that consists of 3 pokemon coming from space, one relic from the ancient times, one pokemon practicing voodoo/magic, and an x-men. Not really. It's just 6 pokemon I rarely or never use in the game and wanted to try them out in the new meta. With Hoopa around it may prove difficult, but It's worth a shot.

Surpisingly the team is somewhat decent, however I might need to change it a bit to make it stronger. And where would I find a better place to do so than here? Comment, judge, criticise, help me, like and subscribe! Without further ado, here are my lovely pokemanz.

eASd4Wm.gif

There is no spoon (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore
This guy is smart, good-looking, and hella fast. He's there to break your stallers, outspeed and kill your faster threats, all while not caring about hazards or status or anything in particular. Sometimes he cannot make the needed kill without the life orb, so I put it there over sash to boost his killing potential. When enough of the enemy team is weakened, he can work as a late game sweeper so it's my off-chance win conditon. Usually he's brought mid-game to kill the stalls, and that's it.
e8lFhyD.gif
The Juggernaut (Chesnaught) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
Alright, this one is partially a tribute to Chase, who I know loves this pokemon. He's the x-man of the company, and as the name suggests, he is the physical wall. The moveset is self-explanatory. It works as a Ferrothorn that can actually fend for itself against Keldeo and slower threats like Conkeldurr, all while keeping some momentum for the team. Given it has trouble with birds, the other members ie Aerodactyl and Magnezone come to his aid, while he checks the common enemies of the meta. The sand-team spam is walled all together in front of this creature, as it stops Ground, Rock, Water, Electric and Dark attacks with minimum damage. It stops the choiced mons and gives me a chance to seed them while regaining strength with drain punch. There is the belly drum possibility, but unless you use it with a salac berry, you will be just ruining chestnaught for the game.
N6hSuyf.gif
Classic Rock (Aerodactyl) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- Roost
Now that's a mega you don't see often. Aerodactyl is a beast not used much in OU, simply because it does not have enough moves to do the trick while others can alternate and keep different sets. However, it not being so much used can confuse the opponents who did not come prepared and thus net me kills I wouldn't even dream of before. It is very afraid of Steel types, since I didn't give it EQ, but it stops fire, flying, and the occasional u-turn, which is nice as it is. Tough Claws helps boost his awesome power without a life orb, and all two of the moves become stronger than ever. Stone Edge is the obligatory nuke STAB, while Roost helps me stay alive. Contrary to other megas, Aerodactyl's main role is not sweeping but punching holes in the opponent's team early and mid game, so the others could demolish them. It's speed helps net some kills no matter how you play with it, which is nice. You could stop certain threats in their tracks and work as another win-con if you are lucky.
UWVcDDs.gif
Space Invaders (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
It's been a while since I used Starmie, and this set is the first one I make with Reflect Type, so bear with me. Classic spinner with some defenses, gets the job done and throws some random burns if he wants to. Works mostly as support that does not die immediately. This is the only member I consider changing, but it works well so far, so wynaut keep it? Really there is not much to say about this one, apart from that it's cute, I love it, you love it, and has soooooo big potential to kill you if you choose to give it analytic that is.
23BkyES.gif
U.F.O. (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Another mon I rarely use. Straightforward set. Magnezone kills Steel types that bother Alakazam and Aerodactyl. Sometimes I need to double switch to lure them in, however it nets me enough kills against the likes of Ferro, Scizor, other Magnezone using Flash Cannon against my beloved Clefable, Jirachi, and weakened Metagross and Excadrill. Sadly it cannot kill Bisharp due to it Sucker Punching all the time, however it can lure the attack for me to bring in Chestnaught safely. Also, Skarmory has become rare. Again, role is to get rid of the obligatory Steel types of the opponent, while weakening the other members as much as it can. Cannot touch Heatran, but I have others to do so, like Aero and even Starmie.
9a2engK.gif
Apollo 13 (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
Last but not least, the specially defensive pokemon. I gave some Def EVs to keep it safer from physical mons attacks. Only 1 offensive move, to keep SK which is much more needed than Flamethrower, and I already have HP-fire on Magnezone. Moonblast for some damage, and CM to keep the damage racking. Soft-boiled is there to keep me healthy while I roll. Even if this is not the most optimal set in terms of killing the steel foes, it weakens the enemy pokemon not only with hazards but also with spamming moonblast. Cannot touch other set-up sweepers, however you wouldn't stay in on those anyway. It can stop Zard-Y and stall the sun rounds, without buffs. I was wondering whether I should change it to a wish-protect set to provide health to the other members, but in hindsight, the others can self-heal while those who cannot, wouldn't stay alive long enough even if they wanted to.
So thoughts? I'd appreciate comments and suggestions, since a 3rd person's view matters most, because it points out things that I, the creator, may not be able to pinpoint due to my excitement of creating the team in the first place. Take a break from Redemption and come back for some classic old OU, which we all love and serve.
Importable

There is no spoon (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore
The Juggernaut (Chesnaught) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
Classic Rock (Aerodactyl) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- Roost
Space Invaders (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
U.F.O. (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Apollo 13 (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Here are a few replays for you to see the team in action. They don't show much, but they are nice to watch. Low ladder, all of them
And if I offended any of you, I am sorry. The intro was a joke. I realized the possible symbolism only after I made the team. I had no intention of offending anyone's beliefs. If I don't speak with some of you, happy holidays, merry Christmas and happy Hanukka.
May you live and prosper.

AYY.

Chesnaught essentially has two options in OU - Standard physical wall, and Salac Belly Drum.

However - If you like experimenting - as the spirit of this team suggests - you could hand Ches an Assault Vest and try to uitlize a moveset that looks kinda like this.

- Drain Punch

- Seed Bomb

- Rock Tomb

- Power-Up Punch

...the goal of the set is to kinda combine it's two OU sets. The vest gives Chesnaught help on the special side (which is probably not enough for OU - like I said, it's in the spirit of experimentation.) in conjunction with the secondary ability of Drain Punch to provide Ches with staying power. Offensively though, Rock Tomb essentially makes up for it's poor speed like the Salac would the BD set and Power-Up Punch causes a gradual increase in power.

It's a little hard to get going - but in UU - I've found it to the most enjoyable set to use.

---

I'll use your team and put relevant feedback here.

Unfortunately, the speed tiers are very different in UU and OU, so even if I used salac, I wouldn't have accomplished much. Remember that M-Aero is in UU and it completely outspeeds the entire UU and OU meta if invested properly, and that includes even certain set-up sweepers at +1 (gyara, Zard, etc).

I don't know if using the above set will help Chest, as it ends up with mind games in the end, when the 50/50 is forced. It works well as it is now, and the only issue I have is with Starmie's EVs not making it bulky enough. I know it's not supposed to, but opponent Starmies seem bulkier. It may be just the feeling that the grass is always greener on the other side, or they just didn't like the speed.

Anyway, it seems I am not used to this team yet, thus making bad decisions when playing. If you have any suggestions for different mons to use, I'm at your service.

Red I didn't catch that, so if you could, elaborate here or via pm. Also, no comment on the team, lol ?!

Chesnaught essentially has two options in OU - Standard physical wall, and Salac Belly Drum.

What

The set OP posted is the standard set

Anyway, onto the RMT

Now, the first thing that stands out is Magnezone in this team. Magnezone's typically used in DragMag cores, because the win condition for the team is always centered on the dragons, and Zone needs to take Steels out ASAP so the dragons don't get cockblocked while attempting a sweep.

With balance teams though, your win condition changes with every battle. It severely limits Zone's usefulness, because you're now using him as utility instead of support. On top of this, the main things you're trying to beat with Zone, Scizor, Ferro, and Magnezone are already dealt with by Reflect Type Starmie, so it really makes Magnezone's role redundant

Because of this, I recommend running Choice Scarf Excadrill > Choice Scarf Magnezone

AY9iQz5.gif

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic/Stealth Rocks/Filler
Scarf Excadrill is a nice alternative to Zone, it still deals with Fairies + M-Meta, while giving you an additional win condition against opposing HO teams. The final move is up in the air, toxic makes Exca a nice lure against Lando-T and Hippo, SR is obligatory hazards, etc
Aside from that, consider running Lead M-Aero > Wallbreaker Aero
gQlDcT4.gif
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail/U-Turn

Lead Aero gives you a much more consistent lead, without detracting too much from his original role. Taunt lets M-Aero wallbreak much more easily while also healping you block opposing SR leads/Defoggers. The choice for the fourth move is up in the air, Aqua Tail lets you check M-Diancie leads and rogue Hippos, while U-Turn gives you more pivoting power.

Finally, I'd recommend running Thunder Wave > Stealth Rocks on Clefable

Thank you Sync for your input. I'll try the Excadrill option, but that means I should sub SR on Clef with Flamethrower, as I'll need the fire attack, otherwise Ferro and Skarm will become soon big problems. I do not really understand the point of lead Aero with 2 attack moves, but I'll check how it works on the field and present the results back here.

The reason I had Zone was to form a AeroMag core, different than the usual DragMag, since Aero does not like the Steels either and can work much easier without them. The problem with Starmie is that it cannot keep the steels in the game long enough to cause them true trouble. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.

I am sorry for the double post, but I've noticed a problem in the team that is not stopped by either change I tried. Lack of priority. Is there any change I can make so that I solve this with the least amount of changes possible? Hopefully if a pokemon is changed the role stays as it currently is, or if that is not the case, perhaps a second change could fix this issue as well. Usually I do not come across such problems when teambuilding, but this time, I am facing a dead end.

The solution I tried to make was to change Zam's life orb with sash, but this does not net me the OHKOs the previous set did. Another was to give Clef T-wave instead of SR, but then spikes do not give me enough hazard to punish constant switch ins to my pokemon in various volt/turn cores.

I know the team is unusual in terms of picking members, and I pay for this with a bad win/loss ratio, which is still positive, yet not as much as I'd like to.

If I want to make it high up the ladder with said team, I need to make ultimate plays or change something. Question is... what?

Thank you Sync for your input. I'll try the Excadrill option, but that means I should sub SR on Clef with Flamethrower, as I'll need the fire attack, otherwise Ferro and Skarm will become soon big problems. I do not really understand the point of lead Aero with 2 attack moves, but I'll check how it works on the field and present the results back here.

The reason I had Zone was to form a AeroMag core, different than the usual DragMag, since Aero does not like the Steels either and can work much easier without them. The problem with Starmie is that it cannot keep the steels in the game long enough to cause them true trouble. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.

Forgot to reply

Balance teams will forever have this major issue of having issues trying to fit all the roles you need to maintain an efficient team. Other archetypes don't have this issue. HO doesn't need to worry about X-Char, because you either have a way that lets you prevent your opponent from setting up, or you have something that straight up kills it. Stall doesn't care about top tier threats like Hoops/M-Alt, because you have enough space on your team to pick hard counters.

Balance doesn't have that luxury. The reason I gave M-Aero two support moves was so I could collapse your team roles, so you can fit more in later. With balance, everyone needs to pull their own weight and more, because there really isn't enough space to fit everything you need otherwise. There's a huge reason M-Sciz is one of the most popular megas for balance teams, it's able to cover a wide array of threats, while also providing whatever support you need.

At this point though, it might be better if you were to go for HO instead of sticking to balance. M-Aero thrives in offensive volt-turn teams, and this way, you can revive your AeroMag core to be much more effective than it could in balance

Will try to do so, which means Clef might be changed for Latias with Healing Wish and ... I'll find something for Chesty to do. Perhaps I'll try a belly-drummy-salacy sweeeeeeet sweep. Bisharp is not problem. It cannot kill M-Aero and when weakened, even clef can kill it. Also it cannot touch Chestnaut