Mono-Bug

Scrublord6410

So I haven't played a bad route where you mess everything you can. So I have decided to start a mono-type run as well, picking Bug, I got past the 1st gym but can do nothing against the 2nd. She is already hard to fight but having type disadvantage is even worse, does anyone have advice to how to beat her? This should be the biggest road block I'll face till the end of the current version but it seems impossible. I am willing to restart if some things could make it easier but I don't want to make the whole run easier if I can help it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me when I did my grass mono, I hacked in a cradily just for that battle, then released it afterwards. You may have to hack in a pokemon which can help or pick a different type which is easier

15 hours ago, Dkr1982dn said:

For me when I did my grass mono, I hacked in a cradily just for that battle, then released it afterwards. You may have to hack in a pokemon which can help or pick a different type which is easier

Another thing I was thinking of, I believe you can't skip the starter room, so maybe pick something that can help with the gym and release it after?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 3:23 AM, Scrublord6410 said:

Another thing I was thinking of, I believe you can't skip the starter room, so maybe pick something that can help with the gym and release it after?

Sorry for the late reply. If it helps you make the game more manageable, then you should do it. I sometimes do this when I do monotype runs

On 8/12/2023 at 8:59 AM, david warner said:

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, "Mono-Bug" does not refer to any well-known or established concept, term, or technology. It's possible that this term has emerged or become relevant after my knowledge cutoff date.

If "Mono-Bug" has become a new term or concept, I recommend checking the latest online sources, news articles, or community discussions to gather information about its meaning and context. Alternatively, if you have any specific details or context you can provide, I'd be happy to help to the best of my abilities.

It's doing a run using only bug types. the second gym is impossible as you have no way of fighting the flying types effectively. However the starter room can't be skipped so I was thinking about using one of them to get past the flying gym and can't think of who can work best.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 3:27 PM, Scrublord6410 said:

It's doing a run using only bug types. the second gym is impossible as you have no way of fighting the flying types effectively. However the starter room can't be skipped so I was thinking about using one of them to get past the flying gym and can't think of who can work best.

Not sure about levels and move pool, but iirc froakie's line should learn smack down through level up, and could "technically" be considered bug type since it has protean and can learn u-turn. I found crustle really useful but I don't think you have access to it yet, I actually don't recall what bugs you can find by that point in the game. 

Maybe post your team? 

20 hours ago, Blontary said:

Not sure about levels and move pool, but iirc froakie's line should learn smack down through level up, and could "technically" be considered bug type since it has protean and can learn u-turn. I found crustle really useful but I don't think you have access to it yet, I actually don't recall what bugs you can find by that point in the game. 

Maybe post your team? 

I don;t have a team per say, the problem is nothing can outdamage Aerial Ace and it can't be dodged.

Mmh I don't recall level cap for flying gym, but sewaddle learns sticky web at lv 31 which may help you hit first, mostly with charjabug I'd guess. Another strat may be, if you can, get kricketune to learn fell stinger, finish someone with it and then sweep with slash. 

Some grinding, ev training and patience are required 😅

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 3:32 AM, Blontary said:

Mmh I don't recall level cap for flying gym, but sewaddle learns sticky web at lv 31 which may help you hit first

The level cap is 30, just one off of 31, so Sewaddle wouldn't be able to learn Sticky Web until after the gym, but it would really matter since Flying Type Pokémon are immune to Sticky Web.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, Scrublord6410 said:

Venpiede, Surskit, Scatterbug, Beautifly, Beedrill, Dustox, Spinirak, Ledyba, Kricketot, Grubin, Paras, Combee, Sizzlepede, burmy, Sweddle, Venonat.

Just in case you haven't already beaten it yet, looking at these Pokémon, my first observation is Burmy, as, if Desolation has the level-up movesets from Gen 7, its evolutions are the only 'mon here that have Quiver Dance by Level 30. I would recommend specifically Trash Cloak Wormadam, as it's the only one of the Burmy evolutions that resist Gligar's Aerial Ace. If you can set-up 2 Quiver Dance's in front of it, you could probably sweep from there. If you can't set-up enough Quiver Dances, you could also try using Reflect from Ledian to make Wormadam even more bulky. I'd recommend keeping Protect as well to try and stall out Tailwind if necessary. Wormadam is comically slow, so even at +6, if Tailwind is up, it's very likely for Wormadam to be out sped. Also, it might be required to do the most annoying thing possible, that being to get a Wormadam with a good Hidden Power. Wormadam's only special move at this point is Confusion, which, even at +6, might not be enough to KO Xatu. It might, try without it, but I'm just giving you all the options you might need here.

EDIT: Just remembered that Gligar has Brick Break, so you can ignore the Reflect idea. Oops.

God, I've been theory-crafting this for like an hour... what's wrong with me?

Edited by Aggapuffin
I recommended something that was a bad idea.