Trick Room Team for E19

Mikito

I came up with a team I think that would do well in the E4 (speculative and educated guesses) and in the Lin fight ( I assume that'll be in the New World Field-Effect).  My thinking is that Heather and possibly Laura/Bennett are going to be full of fast mons so the Trick Room should help immensely. I'm not sure where we will battle Lin, could be separate from the E4 but regardless I think Trick Room will be GOAT in the New World terrain. Knowing she has a Hydreigon and possibly an Arceus I feel Trick Room will give a great advantage. I think based off what I seen from the community that we'll be up against Heather, Laura/Bennett, Anna and El in the E4. I wanna say Lin is the finale but TBH I have no idea for all I know its Fern. 

Bronzong (Bongdong)
Nature: Sassy
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: HP 252 and either 252 in attack or sp. def (my thinking here is if you want to utilize explosion as a lead it works, but toxic is good if you go sp def)
Ability: Levitate/Heatproof (I may want to use ability capsule for the possible Laura/Bennett and El battle as I feel like it'll be more useful than levitate)
Item: Leftovers/Amplified Rock (i believe this is the item that extends trick room I cant remember as of making this post, lol). 

Moves:
Trick Room
Gyro Ball
Explosion/Toxic 
Stealth Rock

This mon serves as my lead to set up Trick Room and rocks (I think they'll be incredibly useful in the E4).  The sassy nature with 0 speed IVs gives Gyro ball helps maximize damage even against the slow opponents plus STAB. Explosion is really just to do after you Trick Room/Stealth Rocks in the event I dont need Bronzong for a particular fight after set up so that my other mons can come in and utilize Trick Room for longer duration. 

Azumarill (Bubbles) 
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/0
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk and 4 in either Def or Sp Def
Ability: Huge Power
Item: Sitrus Berry

Moves: 
Belly Drum
Play Rough
Aqua Jet/Ice Punch/Super Power
Waterfall/Liquidation?

This mon serves as a sweeper under Trick Room and at the least as a wall breaker/cleaner, especially if I opt for Aqua Jet in the event I lose Trick Room in battle. This set is pretty standard in competitive and I generally make teams not using competitive sets as the Field Effects really change the game, but I feel under Trick Room this is one of the best physical wall breakers I could run. Ice Punch would probably help on Heather as well as Laura/Bennett for super effective coverage, but theres also the option for Super Power which I believe will be a huge help on El. On a side note, I think Super Power will give more help during the Lin fight, but like I stated earlier I don't know if Lin will be a separate battle from that of the E4. 

Mega-Camerupt (Lightro)
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 248 HP, 100 Atk, 160 Sp Atk or all 252 Sp Atk depending on move Set
Ability: Sheer Force (Anger Point pre Mega for Cheese, lol) 
Item: Cameruptite 

Moves:
Earth Power
Eruption
Heat Wave/Flash Cannon/Explosion 
Nature Power/Rock Slide

This is another wall breaker with sweeping capabilities under Trick Room. Earth Power pretty obvious but it also gets a boost from New World field effect for the Lin fight ( I assume thats the Field Effect, but I could be totally wrong). Eruption because I don't bring this guy in on attacks and AI typically dont use entry hazards. The idea is to set up with Bronzong and explode to punch through the enemies team using Camerupt. Heat Wave for the possible double battle with Laura/Bennett. Flash Cannon could also be used in this slot or in the fourth. It's mostly for coverage and it gets a lot of different boosts in different field effects like New World and Starlight Arena. Nature Power is nice because you get some nice physical moves from certain terrains as well as special moves that all have secondary effects so you get the Sheer Force too. I have Nature Power here because I know it'll serve well against Heather, possibly Anna and on Lin. If I or one decides to go with the mix set I'd opt for Rock Slide and swap moves with TMs depending on the match up; also, Explosion is nice on the mix set giving you the ability to one shot a hydriegon ( i hope based off what I calcd). 

Exeggutor-Alola (Kush) 
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/0
EVs: 244 HP, 252 Def, 12 Sp Atk
Ability: Harvest
Item: Sitrus Berry

Moves:
Leech Seed
Trick Room
Substitute
Giga Drain

So, I opt for Alolan Exeggutor mostly due to the dual typing. I like Grass/Dragon over Grass/Psychic on a defensive pov. This is a back up Trick Room setter and can also either stall out or even clean up a fight. Leech Seed is nice for the Stall and Chip-Damage I may need for knock outs for my other mons plus if I have Leech Seed up and I decide to swap into one of my harder hitting mons I'll recover some damage on the switch. This set is pretty troll tho, I've had fun with it in my current play through and he has proven invaluable on some fights. 

Conkeldurr (Clipping)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk
Ability: Guts
Item: Flame Orb

Moves: 
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Mach Punch
Wide Guard/Stone Edge/Rock Slide

This is another heavy hitter I utilize under Trick Room. Drain Punch is good for longevity since I'm burned and I feel even tho the base power is low compared to other moves I could use for STAB I think the Guts boost plus being Brave Nature makes up for the loss in exchange for the longevity. Knock Off is clutch on some fights as certain mons depend on items to set-up and beat your team. Mach Punch for priority if I lose Trick Room. Wide Guard is weird but I've used it on a lot of fights using different Trick Room teams throughout my Reborn playthroughs. Wide Guard is nice against Amaria and several other boss battles, but is definitely situational; however, I think it'll only be useful in the Laura/Bennett fight. Stone Edge is nice for the single match ups but Rock Slide would be incredibly useful in doubles. I also have ran a choice band set using Iron Fist and using an elemental punch in the 4th slot. It works well too. 

Tyranitar (Grinder)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk
Ability: Sand Stream/Unnerve (Unnerve could be useful if anyone in the e4 relies on berries for w/e reason -  I wish Unnerve made it where Seeds weren't used too)
Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest 

Moves: 
Crunch
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Superpower/Earthquake (If its available)
Ice Punch/Fire Punch

This yet another heavy hitter. I put Tyranitar on this team because I felt I needed a psychic immunity plus a flying resistance on the team. Crunch will be useful on Anna probably, if shes E4, and could possibly be useful on Lin. Rock Slide for doubles, Stone Edge for singles (both are TMs so I can switch it up). Superpower is nice but I would prefer Earthquake; I may also just run two elemental punches or Focus Punch (idk about it tho). Ice Punch/Fire Punch are good coverage, i generally opt for Ice as it gives my team more coverage, but they both seem to get the job equally done from experience. Assault Vest is nice because sometimes I dont need Choice Band to cleave through teams but a way to tank special hits and being in the Sand with Assault Vest as a Rock Type makes you a beefy boy with max HP investment. I swap these items depending on what I'm up against or if I dont need to be locked in a move for a whole fight. 

Edited by Mikito

Trick room comes down to three things:

- Can you reliably set trick room

- Do you have [A number of mons with zero speed that also oneshot everything by breathing on it]?

- Do you have a bunch of priority moves in case things go wrong?

I think you'll find that dedicated roles are best for this type of teamcomp. Bronzong will be doing zero damage with any of its moves besides explosion, so gyro ball is unnecessary. In the case there's a particularly strong boss or something of the sort, you may wish to use skill swap instead as filler to cripple the opponent with levitate instead of whatever it'll have.

I would also strongly advise against running a stall set on a trick room user, you'll find that the 5 turns you're given will not last very long.

Regarding Tyranitar, it doesn't actually hit nearly as hard as you'd hope it would, especially lategame when it is presumed that pokemon will be getting pulse2'd (252 evs in every stat.)

A trick room team doesn't need immunities and resistances- it actually prefers to switch as little as possible as to conserve your turns. But to fill the role of a psychic immunity, I would look to Crawdaunt which is a pokemon that can both function as a setup nuke and a powerful wallbreaker.

The single best trick room pokemon available at this very moment is likely Mimikyu. It is guaranteed to get up a trick room no matter what, and can destiny bond the turn after for an immediate 1-1 situation which gives you a massive upperhand over the opponent. It's a very good pokemon which will surely shine even brighter under foreseeable conditions.

E8sGpgHXEAQOB7f.thumb.png.e7697f9551f8367d1efd1fc5d88224f7.png

(Conway, introduced in the gen 4 anime who just so happened to introduce not only Trick Room but also the art of Power Trick Shuckle to the worldwide audience. His legendary efforts have not gone and shall never go unnoticed. 🙏)

• Upvote 2

Generally, I don't ever use stalll on Trick in VGC/Competitive but in Reborn, especially in some gauntlets, I have had smoother runs having a staller on the team that can also set up a Trick Room; that being said, you're right. I'm wasting turns of Trick Room stalling on a mon that could otherwise do massive damage and end the match sooner. I didn't think of Mimikyu as a trick roomer because of its speed tier, but tbh if I go for 0 IV and a negative speed nature I can probably outspeed most things that it needs to; especially if the New World Terrain keeps grounded mons speed are halved as a feature. I like having coverage, but in Trick Room you really dont need it if you hit hard as fuck, even if the thing resists it. I see your point. I might just replace Exeggutor with Mimikyu as a trick room setter. I wanna run amplified rock most the time for the 8 turns but I find that sometimes I dont even need the 8 turns, I end up using like 3 or all of em to secure victory because once I clean most a team out with my 2nd mon it doesn't matter if I lack trick room for the rest of the team. The HP investment with the hard hitters allows me to tank and trade for a knock out. Trick Room was something I have had a lot of fun with, so thank you for the input. In regards to Tyranitar.... I have had really good use with him, but I also traded him over from a previous run through and had a Larvatar early game. Late Game when you actually get him hes kind of underwhelming. The mid game tho, JFC he is a monster. 

Edit: Actually, the Trick Room into Destiny Bond sounds bonkers. 

Edited by Mikito