Acquiescence's Journey to become a better spriter.

Code: PIRULUK

Well... I recently got really interested in spriting.

Not sure why :x

Anyway, this thread will serve as a way for me to keep track of my progress as an aspiring spriter.

First sprite edit Ever:

YSrExYR.png

-Edit of Beauty Trainer sprite. Edited to resemble Akemi Homura.

-Bad shading, bad editing, bad everything

-The base. Let's see whether I've improved in a year's time.

Recolors:

Revamp of Crystal Alakazam.

Before:

Spr_2g_065.png

After:

7iPXeoc.png

Edits made:

-Recolor to enhance

-Enhanced shading

-Minor edits to fit with the Gen 3+ style (non-black outline)

-Minor edits to head and eyes to fit with the B&W version.

-Experimented with shading and light source

-Pelvis area unsatisfactory

Revamp of Gold Espeon:

Before:

Spr_2g_196.png

After:

q0f9A7b.png

Edits Made:

-Recolour to enhance

-Applied B&W Espeon's colour pallette

-Not many changes to shading due to comparatively simple base

-Edited the glint in the red jewel (pure white in B&W version) to a pinkish-white to complement the red colour of the jewel

-Extensive changes to outline and highlighting of outline

-Edited right eye to fit with new colour scheme

-Added a light shadow on bottom of front tail

-Note: Outline on right ear somewhat jarring against a dark background. Lighter outline would have been beneficial. Avoid same mistake in future.

-Time taken: 20minutes.

Pixel-overs:

Tamiyo, the moon sage

oE3Z0ZF.png

-First Pixel-Over

-Reference picture: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=240070&type=card

-Unsatisfactory facial area and left arm. Detail on sling-contraption-thing could be better. Obi could use more contrast. Need to work on the detail for the scroll.

-Time Spent: 2 hours (more or less). 30mins tracing+refining outline, 50 minutes fleshing in outline detail, applying basic colours and refining colour palette. 20mins applying shading, 20mins touch up.

-No legs because they are not visible on the reference picture. Edited hem of skirt for billowing effect.

-Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and her associated trademarks belongs to Wizards of the Coast; I claim no ownership of the character.

-Note: looks bad on dark backgrounds. Consider remaking outline when the opportunity presents itself.

Kirigaya Kazuto

WmXDsls.png

-Reference Picture: http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/sample/sample-a69825b767f03097ded1c79ac19cbd0b.jpg

-Face is off

-Hair looks okay on white background, but bad on black background due to dark(er) outline

-Initial draft had the ice crystals in but I deleted those by accident QQ.

-Relatively pleased with how the shading turned out. The clasp on the top belt-thingy could use more detail

-Had difficulty with light source

-Used at most four shades for each colour

-Left sword outline fuzzy, needed more definition

-Right arm somewhat awkward, but pose necessitates it.

-Left Leg outline jagged when viewed against a light background.

-Time taken: 5.5 hours. 30mins outlining, 30 mins on face/hair, 3 hours on left side of cloak and left sword. 1 hour 30 mins on right side + torso + pants + shoes + right sword. (additional 15 mins for ice crystals which were accidentally deleted.

Kagamine Rin

njSA511.png

-Reference Picture: http://i.imgur.com/IcVyQoN.png

-Biggest pixel-over I've done so far

-Time spent: 4hours. 2 hours for outline + face + hair, 45min clothes + arms, 15min hands, 25min left shoe, 35min legs.

-Areas to improve: fingers on right hand. My gosh. Remind self never to attempt spriting fingers ever again(at least not at this resolution). Top hairclip on left bang is slightly slanted. Some of the outlining is a tad too prominent, back half of serefuku needs better shading.

-Areas of pride: hair + ribbon. Pretty happy with those.

-Things to note: light source somewhat inconsistent, appears to be in front of and slightly above her.

-Necktie could use more detail, such as creases.

-Areas sprited from scratch: Chest area, left shoe, sleeves.

Gumi

NZE161h.png

-Reference Picture: http://imgur.com/kfWjpne

-Resolution from 700x700 to 120x120

-No legs due to reference picture lacking them

-Edits made to right side of hair, most of the skirt

-Right arm is at a bit of an awkward angle

-Flap thingums under the belt are badly defined, look like shadows.

-Time taken: 5 hours. 1 hour outlining, 2 hours hair + face + left arm, 1 hour torso, 1 hour 30 mins skirt (inner + outer), 30 mins on right arm, legs. Reason for awkward arm angle is that it is partially hidden behind her bosom, as depicted in the reference picture.

-Note to self: SKIRTS ARE HARD TO SPRITE.

So... Yeah. this thread is to showcase what I've done, as well as keep track of my progress. Any critique is most welcome. I will be doing mainly revamps like the Alakazam one shown above for now, until I have a better grasp on the aesthetics of shading and outlining. I am open to requests to revamp specific Pokemon ^^ (to the best of my ability. For example, I can't quite do Seadra yet; the head bit is too intricate for me to get the lighting right.)

Edited by Acquiescence

First pixel over is up ^^ it looks bad on the site's default black background due to the black outline. I may edit that when I have the time. Quite satisfied with it, but not completely due to the various imperfections, particularly pertaining to the face, the scrolls and the left arm.

Can you do custom sprites? o-o

If you can provide a reference picture, I can try. No promises about quality though, I might not be able to fill in all details with my current (lack of) skill.

I remember when a friend of mine and myself made a 100% original Trainer Sprite Folder for PO, by editing all the trainer sprites that exist in the installation directory of PO one by one...

You are actually pretty good at this, I particularly like how you revamped old sprites to look more modern. Keep up the good work :)

I remember when a friend of mine and myself made a 100% original Trainer Sprite Folder for PO, by editing all the trainer sprites that exist in the installation directory of PO one by one...

You are actually pretty good at this, I particularly like how you revamped old sprites to look more modern. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the compliment :) my next one should be up in...24 hours QQ. 3 hours in and less than halfway done T^T
Kirito up ^^
*ergahd his leg looks terrible QQ*
Edited by Acquiescence