Unorthodox Sun Team (OU)

Jory

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

038.gif485.gif073.gif106.gif094.gif051.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all! This is my first RMT here on Reborn, so I hope you all enjoy it! Let's get a couple of formalities out of the way before we dig in. And yes, it's in Comic Sans.

span><!--url{0}-->

v Export v

Naruto (Ninetales) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Drought

EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Heat Wave

- Will-O-Wisp

- Sunny Day

- Roar

Krakatoa (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SDef / 16 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Lava Plume

- Protect

- Taunt

- Will-O-Wisp

Seen enough. (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd

- Sludge Wave

- Substitute

- Toxic

- Rapid Spin

Black Leg (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Fire Gem

Trait: Unburden

EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 200 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Mach Punch

- Stone Edge

- Hi Jump Kick

- Blaze Kick

Spookshire (Gengar) (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

- Shadow Ball

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

- Giga Drain

Mmmmbitch. (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Arena Trap

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Sucker Punch

Now that I'm through with that stuff, let's get down to what I was aiming to do with this team.

My goal was to create a sun-based team that wouldn't lose all potency outside of sun. As such, I stayed away from Chlorophyll users such as Victreebell. Venusaur nearly won a spot on my team, but I decided that on a sun team, especially one being played without Team Preview, it would be much too predictable and it would become dead weight in sand. I'll walk you through my thought process:

038.gif

Obviously, my first choice for a sun team is the only viable Drought user in OU: Ninetales.

038.gif485.gif

Heatran immediately stood out to me as a good special sponge and check to Fire-types seeking to take advantage of my weather.

038.gif485.gif073.gif

I selected Tentacruel as a physical wall and spinner. As a bonus, it also makes a great check to common rain abusers like Keldeo and Kingdra with its solid Special Defense, even uninvested.

038.gif485.gif073.gif106.gif

Although it seems like a strange choice on a sun team, Hitmonlee was selected as a physical sweeper for its ability to switch in on weakened Water attacks and other weak special attacks aimed at its team members.

038.gif485.gif073.gif106.gif094.gif

Gengar seems like another odd choice for a sun team. However, its ability to switch in on Fighting and Ground attacks for Heatran and then hit back hard makes her a key squad member.

038.gif485.gif073.gif106.gif094.gif051.gif

I realized late in the teambuilding process that I would need a trapper. Gothitelle and Chandelure were the first to pop into my mind, but neither have the ability to reliably take down Tyranitar, the most common sand setter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that you've seen the team, it's time for the analysis. Brace yourselves.

Ninetales.full.895914.jpg

Naruto (Ninetales) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Drought

EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd

- Heat Wave

- Will-O-Wisp

- Sunny Day

- Roar

Ah, yes, the Nine-Tailed Fox himself. This choice should be obvious, as a Drought user is a staple on most OU sun teams. I decided early on that my Ninetales would not be offensively based, as it is able to OHKO Scizor with Heat Wave without any Special Attack investment. The defensive spread of EVs allows it much more staying power as the match proceeds, giving me much more versatility in terms of switching. I run Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers that I can't take down. It also allows me to cripple Tyranitar and Hippowdon on the predicted switch. Roar is to scare away things that seek to set up on a defensive Ninetales and Sunny Day is to surprise bulky Toed with secondary weather, forcing a switch. Also, Ninetales is the cutest weather setter hands (or paws) down.

span><!--url{1}-->

Krakatoa (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SDef / 16 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Lava Plume

- Protect

- Taunt

- Will-O-Wisp

I picked Heatran for two reasons, the first of which is its ability to function as a special wall. This build allows it to tank any special attack that isn't super effective (and some that) are and then strike back with a sun-boosted STAB Lava Plume. Dragonite lacking Earthquake are completely walled by this set as well, allowing Heatran to burn them with Will-O-Wisp. The Speed EVs allow it to outspeed common walls and set up a Taunt to prevent stall tactics. Its resistance to 40% of all status (and the only two that do DPS, to boot) give it fantastic staying power. I pack the Protect not only because Smogon said so but because against Blaziken, it gives me a nice backup strategy to do 50% of damage without taking any myself against Hi Jump Kick.

span><!--url{2}-->

Seen enough. (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd

- Sludge Wave

- Substitute

- Toxic

- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel and I have two things in common: We both love Toxic (Brittney Spears <3) and we're both Jewish. Seriously, look at his nose. Your argument is invalid. Anyway, Tentacruel is a great rain check. It's also a great spinner, as it soaks up Toxic Spikes on entry and can survive powerful Fighting and Water attacks. A spinner is an absolute necessity, as I pack a Focus Sash on Dugtrio that can't afford to be broken and Ninetales can't survive with Rocks on the field. I run Sludge Wave instead of Scald or Surf because let's be honest with ourselves: I'm pushing my luck running it on a sun team as is. I don't need the hassle of being unable to deal full damage because of my own weather. Toxic is to force out Chansey and Blissey, as well as get some nice dommage on Politoed before it runs away from the Gangster of the Sea.

span><!--url{3}-->

Black Leg (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Fire Gem

Trait: Unburden

EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 200 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Mach Punch

- Stone Edge

- Hi Jump Kick

- Blaze Kick

Alright folks, keep your pants on. This sexy dude is here for one reason and one reason only: to kick some ass. Pun DEFINITELY intended. When you get right down to it, Hitmonlee's stat spread is pretty impressive. He has massive Attack, clocking in at only base 10 below Scizor. He has quite impressive Special Defense, particularly considering he's an offensive Pokemon. And finally, his Speed makes him just fast enough to abuse the crap out of Unburden. Hi Jump Kick is standard AF on Hitmonlee, so I don't think that needs explaining. Blaze Kick, Hitmonlee's homage to Sanji's "Diable Jambe" technique, receives a nice boost in sun. So I figured, " why not make it stronk as hell and activate Unburden with it?" This prevents Venusaur from setting up with my sun and also activates his ability, shooting his Speed up to a blazing fast 520 with the given EV spread. Stone Edge is to nail those pesky Moxiedos and Mach Punch is to show faster Pokemon (lolwat) like Excadrill (after Stealth Rock damage) who's boss.

Pokemon-Gengar-.jpg

Spookshire (Gengar) (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

- Shadow Ball

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

- Giga Drain

Ah, Gengar. The original Ghost. What team doesn't this ubiquitous threat belong on? I pack her to take care of those pesky psychic types and physical walls. Giga Drain, although not the strongest move, helps to alleviate Life Orb damage and take down Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, all three of whom are gigantic threats to the rest of this team. As if that weren't enough to warrant Gengar's presence, she can outspeed Banded Terrakion and OHKO with Focus Blast after Stealth Rock damage. The Timid nature is to ensure that she outspeeds other Gengar and Keldeo. She also makes a great defensive core with Heatran, as she covers both of his weaknesses in terms of defense and is able to hit back hard.

span><!--url{4}-->

Mmmmbitch. (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Arena Trap

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Sucker Punch

Now we come to my last and perhaps most situational Pokemon on the team: Dugtrio. Let's just stop and take a minute to appreciate how amazing of an ability Arena Trap is. It prevents Tyranitar and Magnezone (sans Shed Shell) from escaping, allowing me to score some awesome KOs and really screw the other player's strategy. Sucker Punch is to take down Alakazam and other fast Psychic or Ghost types who feel like trying their luck against my team. That prevents me from having to sacrifice Gengar. Dugtrio is a pretty decent attacker in his own right. An added bonus is that he can set Stealth Rock up, which is great on this team because it prevents Dragonite and other Flying types from having a field day against my team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that's it. Leave your comments below.

I really lije the team, Jroy. The only thing I notice is tjat you have almost no way of hitting Rain outside of Gengar, and no way to hit Dragonitel/Moxiemence outside of Stone Edge. Other than that, reappy great. 9.5/10.

Dont mind the typos this website hates Andriod. kbai.

I really lije the team, Jroy. The only thing I notice is tjat you have almost no way of hitting Rain outside of Gengar, and no way to hit Dragonitel/Moxiemence outside of Stone Edge. Other than that, reappy great. 9.5/10.

Dont mind the typos this website hates Andriod. kbai.

The objective behind this team is to keep Ninetales alive, which is why I have a rain-resist spinner c: I agree with you on my lack of ability to hit big threats like Dnite and Mence, so I'll definitely look into maybe replacing Stone Edge with Ice Punch and Sludge Bomb with Ice Beam or even Giga Drain to hit rain teams.