The Monocolor Series Inspired by Owen: Team #1 is gonna get you feeling blue!

Shanco

Ryan C here. Owen's Diablo Rojo team inspired me to do this series.

Damn straight, this is the blue team. This team is about 1/3 my league team, 2/3...other stuff.

Here it is for the wannabe critics.

260.gif (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Curse

- Rest

Tanking attacker lead. Essentially, this is a set from Serebii, with my own tweaks. Normally, Swampert prompts an offensive switch on the other end, which gives me essentially a free Curse about 60-70% of the time. Where I go from there depends on what the Pokemon is. I will use a combination of Waterfall and Avalanche after that, which will provide some pretty decent coverage, and Rest to allow for recovery as after a few Curses Swampert should be bulky enough to survive.

373.gif (F) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Moxie

EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SAtk / 252 Spd

Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)

- Outrage

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake

- Fire Blast

Power man and the first of three from my League team. Salamence has been a staple of my League team as it just hammers the crap out of whatever gets thrown at it. It is ruthless. Anyway, this set is a little bit modified, with a slight change in EVs and a Hasty Nature instead of a Jolly one. Dragon Dance meshes beautifully with the Focus Sash to bring about a guaranteed boost that will have Salamence outrunning and outpowering most Pokemon in the tier. In other words, something is bound to fall unless its name is Skarmory or Bronzong. From there, I choose one of three attacks: Earthquake, Outrage or Fire Blast, obviously depending on which will most brutally kill the opponent.

642.gif (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Natre (+Spd, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Hidden Power [Grass]

- Thunder Wave

- Nasty Plot => Taunt (Skwayz)

The prankster set. Volt Switch is the STAB and is used to throw something else in the way of a potentially fatal attack, like getting Swampert in the way of Stone Edge. Hidden Power [Grass] isn't much, but works with Volt Switch to provide coverage, and is only stopped by protection and Sap Sipper, which I have only seen Washman use in OU. (The man's crazy.) Thunder Wave can cripple switch-in after switch-in, and Taunt works to beat opposing Pokemon before they can set up.

073.gif (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Toxic Spikes

- Rapid Spin

- Scald

- Ice Beam

Utility spinner, wall of sorts and the first of two from my league team. Tentacruel's main selling point is Toxic Spikes, which is pretty useful noting the lack of decent Poison-types in OU. Rapid Spin is the other reason it's on the team, so Salamence's Focus Sash and Sawk's Sturdy can kick in kinda unhindered, as well as Thundurus not having any trouble with Stealth Rock. Scald and Ice Beam have surprising power and eliminate the antagonizing Gliscor, who would wall the rest of the team.

Biggest threats: Chansey and Blissey.

539.gif (M) @ Salac Berry

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Jolly (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Taunt

- Protect / Quick Guard

He's not the coolest fighter out there, but he has something that other Fighting-types don't: Sturdy. This allows Sawk to take a hit and throw haymakers the other way with Close Combat, when the defensive drops don't matter anyway. Stone Edge is another hard-hitting option that provides cute coverage. Taunt stops status and boosting, increasing the effectiveness of hard-hitting Sawk, and Protect is best used to scout and analyze if you need to get Sawk's ass out of there. You'd use Quick Guard in muti-Pokemon battles to allow Pokemon like Thundurus to get a free shot without fear of something like Ice Shard.

482.gif @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Psyshock

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power [Fighting]

- Nasty Plot

A different take on the offensive powerhouse, Azelf flies like a butterfly and stings like a Garchomp when you didn't know Garchomp wasn't banned here. Psyshock is STAB and provides a source of Physical damage, keeping Blissey from walling it. Fire Blast is an obvious choice, as it's powerful and provides cool coverage. Hidden Power [Fighting] is not too necessary but it is nice to take out special walls like Regice. And of course, there's the booster, Nasty Plot.

Below is the exportable.

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SDef

Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Curse

- Rest

Salamence (F) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Moxie

EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SAtk / 252 Spd

Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)

- Outrage

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake

- Fire Blast

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Prankster

Timid Natre (+Spd, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Hidden Power [Grass]

- Thunder Wave

- Taunt

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Liquid Ooze

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Toxic Spikes

- Rapid Spin

- Scald

- Ice Beam

Sawk (M) @ Salac Berry

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Taunt

- Protect

Azelf @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Psyshock

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power [Fighting]

- Nasty Plot

Other Options

Blastoise was considered but in the end it was outclasses by Tentacruel because of Toxic Spikes.

Kingdra, Vaporeon, Toxicroak, all those fall under the class of Pokemon that I would not use except in rain.

Any other Water-typeswere not chosen because I didn't want too much Water presence, and I was satisfied with Swampert and Tentacruel as they cover the other's weaknesses.

Hydreigon was replaced with Salamence because Salamence was faster.

Eelektross and Luxray are cool, but is only a replacement for Thundurus in places where Thundurus-I is illegal.

Metagross is too slow for me. It was replaced by Azelf.

First 5 battles:

1. 2-0 loss vs. the corrupt mod.

2. 3-0 win vs. High Fidelity.

3. 6-0 win vs. Explosms (won by forfeit).

4. 5-0 win vs. King Noob.

5. 6-0 win vs. crep (won by forfeit)

Have at it! Next time on the monocolor series, I might be going (insert environmentally friendly word here)!

EDIT: I had 2 battles vs. Owen and the team that inspired the series, Diablo Rojo. I won and lost once each, both with 1-0 margins.

EDIT 2: Exportable is now fixed

Edited by rc52

Protect on Sawk isn't good with Sturdy, unless you're using it defensively. I recommand a priority move even though I'm not sure he has one. I absolutely love Salamance, but ICE is going to wreack it Ice Shard. I recommend Gyarados

• I thought about Gyarados, but I replaced him in the end. The reason is because I already have enough Water-types, Swampert provides an excellent physical STAB Waterfall and Salamence has better stats everywhere except Special Defense. If I had a legit fear of Ice-types, I would either take it when I'd locked into Outrage because it already killed something, or switch it out in favor of Tentacruel, who would shrug off the attack.
  • As for Sawk, it does have the double purpose. Sturdy is there to shield a OHKO should Protect fail or I choose to use it as a switch in. And he doesn't have a priority move. He can only shield against them with Quick Guard.

Edited by rc52

Yeah, sawk is pretty meh.

You should add something like Zong, that actually give you something that put SR.

NP azelf is pro, so good choice there.

Nasty plot thundurus with volt switch is huh, not productive at all. You can't mix two sets like that.... Play it offensively, NP+3moves or something like Twave+Taunt+vswitch and a coverage move.

Overall it's pretty good, and the swampert set is cool.

BATCHU APPROVE OF THIS.

I knew Batchu was going to sound off on this

• I can't use Bronzong. It's apparently...green.
  • Sawk is a decent fighter that hits harder than most other blue Fighters. Its issue is that it's rather slow.
  • The Thundurus set was...pretty odd, just thrown into a blender. I'll fix that.

Edited by rc52

I would recommend putting Lum Berry instead of the Focus Sash in the Salamence to prevent unwanted Will-o-wisp or Thunder Wave after Dragon Dance, or recover from the confusion caused by Outrage. As nature, i prefer Naughty than Hasty.

• I've heard about the Lum Berry a lot. Truth is, if it poses any threat, I'll know because it will be obvious due to the fact that they're under the pressure of having to do something before they get absolutely devastated. (I mean, why else would you throw a Sableye at it? Jolteon, perhaps?) Also, the Focus Sash has surprise factor and it allows me to get a free Attack and Speed boost before striking right back. Most of the time, whether I get paralyzed or burned, the Dragon Dances will help me through it.
  • The nature...eh, it doesn't matter. Either or works.
  • If I make it through to confusion, then chances are Outrage has already claimed a victim. I don't care, as it has served its purpose. The others can then pick up the slack.

Edited by rc52