Egg moves

Maltor

So, i have a question about egg moves: i thought that in order for a child to learn a given egg move, one of his parents has to know that move.

Thing is, i'm breeding murkrows right now, neither parent knows Brave Bird, and yet their offspring knows it.

Am i missing something?

2 minutes ago, HongaarseBeer97 said:

I believe Brave Bird is an egg move, so regardless of whether or not the parents know Brave Bird, the baby can still have Brave Bird as an attack at lvl. 1

Egg moves are inherited so if both of them don't know barve bird then its not possible for the baby to be ale to learn it.

Just now, Lightseeker said:

Egg moves are inherited so if both of them don't know barve bird then its not possible for the baby to be ale to learn it.

Oh, my bad, I thought there was still a chance of random egg moves being taught, but I guess that only works in the normal series then? (if it works at all, I'm anything but an expert when it comes to breeding...)

Just now, HongaarseBeer97 said:

Oh, my bad, I thought there was still a chance of random egg moves being taught, but I guess that only works in the normal series then? (if it works at all, I'm anything but an expert when it comes to breeding...)

Oh, I haven't heard about random egg moves, I may be the one who is wrong, I'll look it up.

@Lightseeker i started with a male crobat (for IV's) and a female murkrow (neither knew brave bird), then switched the crobat for a male murkrow.

Even after both murkrows lvled up in day-care high enough to forget brave bird (lvl 25-ish), babies were still being born knowing brave bird.

6 minutes ago, Maltor said:

@Lightseeker i started with a male crobat (for IV's) and a female murkrow (neither knew brave bird), then switched the crobat for a male murkrow.

Even after both murkrows lvled up in day-care high enough to forget brave bird (lvl 25-ish), babies were still being born knowing brave bird.

Did you check if both murkrows still have brave bird? And if im not mstaken both parents know brave bird before you left them in day care? 

Maybe the eggs you got was the ones where the mrukrows till know brave bird.

8 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Did you check if both murkrows still have brave bird? And if im not mstaken both parents know brave bird before you left them in day care? 

Maybe the eggs you got was the ones where the mrukrows till know brave bird.

Yup, just took out both of them... neither knows brave bird, and i'm still getting offspring with brave bird =\

1 hour ago, Maltor said:

Yup, just took out both of them... neither knows brave bird, and i'm still getting offspring with brave bird =\

Even if the parent forgets the move, it will continue to be passed as long as you don't remove the pokemon from the daycare at any point.

7 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

Even if the parent forgets the move, it will continue to be passed as long as you don't remove the pokemon from the daycare at any point.

Oh, i didn't know that, good to know.

Still, neither of the original parents knew brave bird in the first place (when i started with crobat and the crappy female murkrow), and i bred the crobat myself from wild zubats (so no brave bird whatsoever)... can egg moves appear on their own by chance?

5 minutes ago, Maltor said:

Oh, i didn't know that, good to know.

Still, neither of the original parents knew brave bird in the first place (when i started with crobat and the crappy female murkrow), and i bred the crobat myself from wild zubats (so no brave bird whatsoever)... can egg moves appear on their own by chance?

There is some chance though wild pokemon learn egg moves. Maybe one of them had brave bird.