Mudkip advice

Shirokiba

So, I'm about to restart a game where I picked Mudkip as my starter. Looking for some advice on using Mudkip, I've never really put much thought into it before, with how easy the main series of games can be and would just power through the game.

How do you use Mudkip and later Swampert? I've heard people going for a bulky version that focused on attrition and such. Looking for advice for pokemon that team well with it. Thanks in advance.

So, I'm about to restart a game where I picked Mudkip as my starter. Looking for some advice on using Mudkip, I've never really put much thought into it before, with how easy the main series of games can be and would just power through the game.

How do you use Mudkip and later Swampert? I've heard people going for a bulky version that focused on attrition and such. Looking for advice for pokemon that team well with it. Thanks in advance.

My last swampert run had me running mixed... but I also had offensive IV's, then for team I had a Ninetails, Magnezone, a Dusclops, and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering what else I had... however what you should have is something that can cover it's weaknesses, flash fire will save your butt later on in the game. Just remember that it's slow and you should be safe

So, would a relaxed nature Swampert with Roar, Surf, Stealth Rock and Earthquake be good?

Dusclops looks pretty tanky (never used one before, rarely do I use ghost types) and Ninetales is one of my absolute all time favorite fire types (seems like it takes a long time to be able to get it), Magnezone has been useful in my previous run.

Would Staravia make a good addition? It's been one of my favorite flying types since I first used it.

So, would a relaxed nature Swampert with Roar, Surf, Stealth Rock and Earthquake be good?

There is no stealth rock TM (I know this for sure) or roar TM (pretty sure, but not 100%) in Reborn, so that wouldn't be possible. And besides, in game, using Waterfall (Surf until you get it, and before Surf, Water gun and then Water Pledge), Earthquake, Rock Slide, and whatever HM you need at the moment (since HMs can be deleted freely without the move deleter) would do much more damage per turn than the 12% they'd take from Roar+Stealth rock (Of course, 12% is only if they aren't weak to Stealth Rock or Resist it) as the AI will almost never switch on its own.

Edited by Personthing

What about Ice Punch, Surf, Rock Slide, Earthquake?

Can't get Ice Punch, no tutors for it and Mudkip doesn't get it as an egg move. Until Scald becomes available (which will likely be post game), you don't have any reason to run Surf over Waterfall once you get Waterfall as Swampert has a very nice 110 attack vs its mediocre 85 special attack. (and in game, Waterfall would still be much better than Scald on Swampert due to stall's generally inferiority to a straight offensive style in an in game context. Stall's great competitively, but it's kinda eh in game outside of very specific circumstances.)

Edited by Personthing

Can't get Ice Punch, no tutors for it and Mudkip doesn't get it as an egg move. Until Scald becomes available (which will likely be post game), you don't have any reason to run Surf over Waterfall once you get Waterfall as Swampert has a very nice 110 attack vs its mediocre 85 special attack. (and in game, Waterfall would still be much better than Scald on Swampert due to stall's generally inferiority to a straight offensive style in an in game context. Stall's great competitively, but it's kinda eh in game outside of very specific circumstances.)

I think i got Ice punch from a tutor in 7th street for Dusclops, it was either there or Agate

Bulky works best to utilize Swampert's natural bulk...i think it's better to keep it physical.