Traitorous Political Opines

Chase

Because lining up for the Republican Party is a sad thing to do these days.

If you're not an American - there's a few things you can do. First - name the political party in your country that you most agree with (Say, Conservative Party (UK)) and then your differences

Those that don't have a clue where that political party stands can google it themselves.

Here we go.

Best-fit Party- Republican (USA)

----

Traitorous Statement 1: The Republicans need to clear the way for LGBT progress in America - and pick their holistic battles in terms that are more applicable to national documents (I.e. the Constitution.)

As a "Christian Right-winger" I will admit that last summer's SCOTUS decision that off-handedly determined the definition of marriage in America without a referendum and more on presidential representation than on populace representation wasn't exactly a day I was grinning from ear-to-ear.

However, I remember being at peace with the decision - While many of my rightie friends were put off on procedure (rightfully) and on moralistic principle (possibly wrongfully)....and on biblical assumption into the nation's political sphere (very wrongfully) - the lefties that I know and love were more than overjoyed. It was a genuine victory for people that held a special place in my heart. While I was a dissenter, I couldn't help but at least feel good for my friends.

It's worth noting that the most important letter with regards to ME in the acronym L-G-B-T...is the T (Transgender). Because of a specific individual beating the minister in providing knowledge on the Trans-America's state of affairs, I would grow to be more inclined to oppose the church and the Republican Party when it comes to how to approach trans-issues.

As for LGB - I (apparently) don't have a say for those folks. Unlike things that Republicans do worry about (like the threat of ISIS, a group that is much harsher to the LGBT community than the GOP) - I don't think "Love is love" or "traditional family structures" are something our government really needs to be all that concerned about - and as much as the Christian lobby will revolt, I think the Grand Ole' Party stands to gain in challenging the Democrats when it comes to representing Gays, Lesbians, Bi-sexuals, and Transgender individuals in the future. Not every homosexual is a bleeding liberal. They just don't have much of a choice at the moment.

Traitorous Statement 2: The Republicans should oppose the Death Penalty sooner rather than later.

This one isn't all that surprisingly for me. My father is a defense attorney and much of his work involves exonerating criminals who were wrongfully convicted. In Texas, this means potentially saving the neck of an innocent human being.

This isn't a rosey determination however. With the threat of mass-shootings in America right-wingers point the death penalty as the ultimate punishment that needs to be upheld - as their argument for stopping them involves heavier sentencing. As someone who opposes the DP, but also opposes most gun control measures liberals propose, it's not the easiest position to hold.

However, the innocent lives that are senselessly taken because of the existence of this kind of punishment in America is worth putting myself in that pickle.

Traitorous Statement 3: Investing in the nation's education isn't "too much of an expense" and can be done with conservative measures in place (such as privatization of school districts, encouraging competition, and giving power to the states.)

Self-explanatory. There can be a National Education Foundation and there can be taxpayer money to better enrich the lives of Americans. It can be done without liberals forcing the same curriculum down every student's throat and even can be used as a decentralized coffers as opposed to the head of the education department. It can allow for better-performing students to fly to better schools, but the funding the National level can provide can also salvage our public schooling and give even the lesser prodigal children of America something to work with.

Republicans need to abandon far-fetched notions of "shutting down the Department of Education". That's just silly.

Traitorous Statement 4: Global Warming - in SOME degree - is a genuine threat and not a wild myth.

The sensible GOPer is merely "skeptical" but doesn't dismiss outright the legitimacy of GW. It wouldn't kill Republicans to start paying attention in summits just like it wouldn't kill Democrats to be open to terrorism summits.

Traitorous Statement 5: Hope-based Immigration needs to be encouraged in whatever reform takes place, while ILLEGAL immigration needs to be specified as the real issue.

This may even mean some illegals are granted a form of amnesty. This may mean that some illegal immigrants are given a path to citizenship without having to be deported and engage in the process from another country after having already gone on a journey.

What the immigration policy needs to reflect is that America is a country that was founded by immigrants and for it's 240 year lifespan has been a beacon of hope to the rest of the world first and foremost.

While liberals need to be open to stricter procedural points such as instilling E-Verify, screening, and adding more border security (INCLUDING a "wall") - conservatives need to steer clear of the nativist attitudes and welcome immigrants (ESPECIALLY those that came here correctly) with open arms and rather than oppose citizenship policies, encourage them. The tragedies that BOTH parties need to bring to light are gang activity as well drug and human trafficking that occurs through illegal border crossing - not the competition in job hunting those people will join when getting here.