General European Union discussion thread

Samalet

ue-flag-1920x1080-wallpapers-612x336.jpg

Looking through the "What Country are you from?" thread shows a surprising amount of European people on this forum and you can just as easily see it in the time zone divide on our Showdown room - if you can handle Bibs' quality posts. That alone doesn't really warrant a whole discussion thread though, the reason I'm posting this is a short confrontation I had on the status sidebar about the merits of the European Union and Schengen, the visa free movement zone in continental Europe which also contains a few non EU states like Norway and Switzerland, today.

I won't deny it, I'm a fervent supporter of the European idea and personally see the European Union in a very positive light, in my opinion it is easily one of the best thing to come out of post war Europe and ideally guarantees peace, stability and a sense of friendship between nations that have warred each other since pretty much the day they were founded. Also, who doesn't love not having to change money on the border to your holiday destination? The time of small nation states that fight on their own is over, they cannot compete with the "big guys" anymore. The USA, China, soon India and Brazil will only grow in strength and those who can't get along in the new world are damned to sink into obscurity. Together we have the ability to be strong - even though some cracks are visible in the European project at the moment.

I also won't deny the fact that the EU is in a state of crisis right now, and has been for years. Bureaucratically the union is a mess, an unholy combination of complicated legislature, mindless bickering between member states and general dissonance with the populace. We've been sliding from one crisis into the next, first Greece and now a massive migration wave have driven many states in the EU to go down a further path to the right, with parties like the Front National and UKIP gaining popularity and threatening established parties. Another prominent issue is the upcoming referendum in the United Kingdom which might decide the role of the UK in Europe for generations to come.

I'm asking you for your general opinions on the European Union and the ideals it represents. Non europeans are of course also welcome to express their position. Remember the forum rules, be nice and discuss!

Also, thread theme: the anthem of the EU, Beethovens Ode to Joy

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

This is a very touchy topic for me at the moment, so I will force myself to stay out of this. I doubt I'd be able to post impartial, unbiased opinions and/or to avoid flamewars should someone press one of my (numerous, in this particular field) buttons with a questionable comment.

I will say this much: the idea of having something like EU is, on paper, very good. But lots of mistakes were made along the way, and there are people who, to protect their own interests, are making sure EU wil never reach its full potential.