Could Clefable replace a Gothitellle usable?

Samalet

It would replace my Gothitelle, which has been rather underwhelming so far, it can take hits reasonably well and dishes out enough damage too, but lack of recovery and Calm Mind really hurts it, it can't really keep up anymore. Clefable has access to Minimize and I'd love a fairy type in the team. Anyone used Clefable in their runs before and how does it do?

Edit: screwed up the title by accidentally hitting the enter button, seems like I'm off to a good start...

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

Comparison by:

Abilities - Magic Guard Clefable is one of the best abilities out there, as it prevents indirect damages especially from Reborn well known field effects, unaware gets less use as AI rarely uses boosting moves. While with Gothitelle, it has competitive, which is situational in game, other two abilities also are less useful in game wise(Frisk can scout wild held items but that's it), in this aspect, Clefable gains the upperhand

Movepool - Clefable has wider movepools with access to flamethrower and psychic to check its greatest threats, poison and steel whereas Gothitelle cannot check dark types

Type advantages and disadvantages - Clefable as pure fairy type has two weaknesses, three resistances and one immunity which we will be battling one of the gym leaders from, while Gothitelle pure psychic has two weaknesses, no immunity and two resistances, so Clefable also stands out in this aspect

Stat - They are even in term of tanking, and base special attack is almost the same.

Overall, the replacement is pretty justifiable.

It should be noted that Clefable cannot learn Psychic naturally and requires the TM to do so, which we do not currently have access to. Furthermore, it cannot access Flamethrower until that TM is also collected, which is all the way at Charlotte, so (you didn't state how far you were) you could still be a long ways off from it.

My bad, Author is right about the TMs. In addition to that, please note that Clefairy learns Moon Blast at level 46(one of the most powerful special fairy moves), which if you evolve before that, Clefable cannot relearn its pre-evo form moves by any means(Most stone evolutions share the patterns of final evolved form not relearning pre-evolved forms' movesets)

I just got to Agate Circus which, I think, is the first place you can get Clefairy. Is Psychic actually necessary though? It's useful against poison types, but I probably wouldn't use Clefable against them anyways and alternatively there's always Minimize + Stored Power.

Edit:

No worries, I always check the attacks before evolving them. Growlithe was the same thing, I couldn't evolve it until it learned Flare Blitz. I always wondered if you can relearn those moves if you already knew them though, I think it works with egg moves.

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

Better than minimize I think : Cosmic Power. With max evasion you're still hit by 1/3 of moves which can still be too much when your opponent hits really hard or has super effective moves, I tried Reflect on a Dragalge and it doesn't really work. While with Cosmic Power you're able to tank even super effective moves, and since it boosts def and sp def, you can get up to 12 boosts, so 260 base power for Stored Power. I use a Clefable like that in OU on Showdown, with Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Moonlight and Lucky Chant (because critical hits would ignore your boosts and kill you) and if you can set it up which should be easier in Reborn, it's a nightmare

Cosmic Power is actually abad idea on clefable, even if it is Unaware. Magic Guard Calm Mind js the best, but if you didn't hop on the bus early enough to get CM from Radomus, you'll do better with Flamethrower, really. Or even Charge Beam. Tank Fable with a life orb or pixie plate and Moonlight is quite good.

I'd recommend breeding it and EV training it based on the smogon starts BC clef is really very marginally bulky, I.e., depends very much on those EVs for a 2hko to be a 3hko.

I'm using Clefable on my main team, it's of modest nature with its' ability being Magic Guard and has Cosmic Power, Minimize, Moonblast and Stored Power. It's pretty powerful, can take hits better than gothitelle and easier to set up with. It also deals pretty big amounts of damage and can be exceptionally useful in 2v2 situations as you can use other pokemon to boost it too for even stronger/faster stored power damage.

Edited by timbla

I'm using Clefable on my main team, it's of modest nature with its' ability being Magic Guard and has Cosmic Power, Minimize, Moonblast and Stored Power. It's pretty powerful, can take hits better than gothitelle and easier to set up with. It also deals pretty big amounts of damage and can be exceptionally useful in 2v2 situations as you can use other pokemon to boost it too for even stronger/faster stored power damage.

Probably going to use this set with Moonlight in place of Minimize, because Minimize is the only usable attack Clefable can relearn with a Heart Scale. If I ever overwrite Stored Power or Cosmic Power I'll never be able to use them again. Except by debugging 'em with RPGmaker, but that's... well. Stupid 4-moveslot syndrome.

I also finally managed to get a Quiet Clefairy with >25 IV in the relevant stats, it's not optimal but I think it'll still do better than Gothitelle, thanks for all the tips and movesets.

Reborn doesn't really strap us with cash for unlimited potions and stuff, even late game, but I appreciate the point in general.

I just feel safer, you know, if a tanky Mon that has access to a healing move, has it too. Of course, just my opinion. (Also I loathe using Minimize and Double Team and that sort of stuff. Thoroughly unfun and uncompetitive, even in-game. That too is just my opinion.)

If you go for Cosmic Power, you should think about Lucky Chant. The base probability of critical hits is 1 every 14 hits. If you take 6 turns for Cosmic Power + 2 turns for heal, the probability that you take a critical hit that will ignore your defense boosts is more than 50%. You lose a damaging move and if you keep Stored Power you can beat dark types, but too often I lost a fully boosted Clefable due to critical hits

Or you replace Moonlight and use items instead. More expensive but you can your damaging moves

Edited by Imperial

Too late for Lucky Chant now, I already evolved it.

And yeah, now that I'm actually using it, Moonlight doesn't seem as good any more there is way too much rain and weather effects in general. But I still can't get any hyper potions yet, so Moonlight will soon regenerate just as much as an ultra potion even when it's nerfed by weather.

Edit: I beat Episode 15 now and Clefable was worth it, he absolutely wrecked Ciel :3 Never replaced Moonlight, but didn't really use it either, Moonblast alone was sufficient for 90% of all fights.

Edited by Sohn der Höhe