Hunter Plays: White 2 - "Is the Nuzlocke a dance move or.."

Chase

DYK: That the New 3DS is backwards compatible and can play Nintendo DS titles?

I sure didn't. I just kinda stuck my old White 2 version into the cartridge slot - and it fit - and it read the game data. Backwards Compatibility "FTW".

Anyways, this is my first nuzlocke challenge ever! And....My team is looking.....pretty ugly at the start - but before the adventure really gets going I wanted to go ahead and take the time to share what could be an absolutely embarrassing experience! From the top!....-ish!

We'll meet the squad in a bit - but FIRST! It is a Nuzlocke, and for posterity, let's put da' rules up.

1. You may only capture the FIRST 'mon you encounter in each new area! Unless it's a species dupe.....or not if you more "hardcore" than I am, but dupes are not fun to share, so sue me!
  2. There is no FAINTING in baseball Pokemon! If a 'mon loses all of it's HP, it is GOOOOOOONE. You'll have to either store it in a designated "Graveyard" PC Box, or bury it proper by releasing it.
  3. You can't form depressing bonds with your video game imaginary friends if you don't give them a NAME! Gotta name 'em all.

Alright, Rules-schmules, NOW let's meet the team! (For the record, I've just been told by Alder to go find Hugh - who I've gone and named Ralph, because he reminds me of 'Wreck-it-Ralph". Yep, the nickname game is well off already!

498.gif

This is Wilbur. Wilbur is the Fire Pig Pokemon. Wilbur is level 7 and knows Tackle, Tail Whip, and and Ember. It's a Rash Nature, which means we're running SPECIAL Emboar this run. It gets access to Scald though...so it's all good! Yes, you may watch him "whip", but you can't watch him "Nae Nae." This ditz named Bianca gave it to us. It makes me hungry just looking at it.

504.gif

Meet Timone, which comes from the superior line of first-route-rodents known as the Patrat line! It's a Careful nature so you know it's going to bulk them special attacks...except it's going to evolve into Watchog...so it isn't. It's level 5 and knows Tackle and Leer. I wish I had the foresight of catching this here Patrat, so that we could name Wilbur "Pumba" instead. Timone and Pumba on the same team would have been nice.

519.gif

Dory would like to say hello. Because she just KNOWS she's getting boxed. Someday. This Pidove-ful pokemon is a Docile nature with Gust and Growl for a moveset. It's ability is Super Luck - as in, if it gets boxed in anything other than the Grave box, it's indeed lucky. It's named Dory because Pidove is one of the most forgetful Pokemon in existence. Fitting for one of the most forgettable Pokemon in existence.

TIL that Emboar actually has a serviceable special attack stat. The more you know.

Anyway looks like a pretty sad start to a nuzlocke indeed, no Snivy master race, no Lillipup master race, no Sewaddle master race. I guess on the bright side you're now guaranteed something good from the Virbank Complex. Honestly though special Emboar might be a good thing. Don't want that Flare Blitz recoil on a nuzlocke.

Good luck on the run.

Your Tepig shall be useful against Cheren, raise him well.

I'd reccomend you to box your Patrat as soon as you get 5 more pokemon to fill the party, since those can die quickly.

Your Pidove shall be on advantage against the next 2 gyms, so I recommend you to protect her at all costs.

For those of you throwing jabs at me for the Reborn play-though - I got it, I got it. I'll have to play Reborn during weekends where my time is less limited - as it's a very grind heavy and heavy thinking experience for me. Yes, I do play the game slower than paint dries - but I -WILL- finish that run.

I've made a little bit of progress though. Can someone tell me why Nuzlockes are fun again? This run started off by having to start completely over due to the game not saving - which resulted in some differences with the party members from the last file.

(Wilbur is now an Impish natured Pokemon - meaning we'll have to run it Physical. Timone is Relaxed, and now uses Keen Eye over Run Away, and Dory is a vastly improved Pokemon, Mild natured and sporting Big Pecks, which has caught the AI looking to lower defenses off guard several times - which has been some of the only breaks I've gotten on this run...)

Anyway, we have two new friends...and I'm not exactly happy about them either.

298.gif

Our Flocessy Ranch encounter wasn't Riolu, which would have helped immensely against Cheren. It wasn't Mareep, which is just a very good Pokemon in general and would have helped cover Tepig's aquaphobia. It wasn't even Psyduck, which is a Water type pokemon from the start.

It was Azurill. Everyone, this is Pikablu - who despite being a very solid 'mon due to being a Lonely natured Huge Power user - isn't what I was hoping to deal with. That being said, being able to obtain Frustration and Return very early in the game has given little 'ole Azurill a shining spot as the most powerful attacker on the team. That is, when using the TMs given to you.

Annnnnnnnd it's time for the moment of truth...our Virbank Complex encounter isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-

531.gif

MOST DEFINITELY NOT MAGNEMITE. OR MAGBY. OR GROWLITHE. OR ELEKID. OR KOFFING.

It was (*%ing AUDINO. AGH.

I went ahead and named her Goat Mama. If the whole point of the game wasn't to survive all the way past Iris. I'd decide on a total genocide run.

I don't even Undertale people.

So, prepping for what could be a very disappointing experience against Roxie - the #squad is as follows: 498.png504.png519.png298.png531.png