Fakemon123's Guide to Making New Types!

Fakemon123

Hey everyone! It's Fakemon123, and I'm back with a tutorial! I love helping out the Fangame Community, since everyone has been so helpful to me, so without further ado, here is the tutorial!

Step One: Get an Idea in that Brain of Yours!

Okay, so I know every tutorial on any subject in the Fangame world will have this as their first step, but it really helps you out in the long run. Without planning, your Type, Fakemon, Game, etc. will be nothing special. You want not only yourself, but for others as well to be intrigued by whatever it is you are making. You want to surprise them with something new, and unique! So, my base idea for Aura Types, the new type in my game (and the one I will use as an example for this tutorial), was that it would basically counter Shadow Pokemon. Since I have a love for Pokemon Colosseum/XD, I decided to have my game revolve around stopping Cipher once again from making Shadow Pokemon. Okay, enough about my game, so Aura goes Head-to-Head with Shadow Pokemon, great, now what does that tell me about what 'Aura' is? Nothing, that's right! This is where you gather information on what your Type is. In some cases, it may be made up from your mind entirely, which will make this step a whole lot easier, yet will provide a less solid base for you to work off of in the future. If you are unsure if this Type is a real thing, search it on Google! ...Okay, well, maybe don't be so quick to do that, as Google may not be the most appropriate at times, but I'm sure you aren't making a nude-type Pokemon, because that would just be weird... Anyway, when I searched Google for 'Aura' it came up with these results:

-The distinctive atmosphere or quality that seems to surround and be generated by a person, thing, or place.

Example: "The ceremony retains an aura of mystery"

-A supposed emanation surrounding the body of a living creature, viewed by mystics, spiritualists, and some practitioners of complementary medicine as the essence of the individual, and allegedly discernible by people with special sensibilities.

-Any invisible emanation, especially a scent or odor.

Example: "There was a faint aura of disinfectant"

So, from what I've gathered, Aura is more of a feeling a certain person, place, or thing has, a paranormal belief, and any invisible emanation, such as an odor. I'm already starting to get ideas on what it might be good/weak against. After searching Google, I scrolled down to find a Wikipedia result, which is fine in this case since we just want a basic idea. It also helps to search the word 'Pokemon' after your type's name, as it may have been mentioned in the Pokemon World. In my case, Aura is mentioned semi-frequently in the Anime, Games, and Movies. I found a Bulbapedia article on it, which helped a lot as well, since it's coming straight from the Pokemon World. What I did after doing some research, was I made a list of my evidence, and wrote notes on certain things, such as how it might affect the type in game. Here is the list I made:

"First of all, of course Aura is not from my imagination, it is more of a paranormal belief, I guess... Here are some definitions I found...

"The distinctive atmosphere or quality that seems to surround and be generated by a person, thing, or place."

Notes: Perhaps this could mean Aura Types are similar to Psychic Types, where they focus more on a state of mind or a being than physical thing.

"A supposed emanation surrounding the body of a living creature, viewed by mystics, spiritualists, and some practitioners of complementary medicine as the essence of the individual, and allegedly discernible by people with special sensibilities."

Notes: "Viewed by mystics, spiritualists..." could give Psychic, Ghost, and Aura an advantage over it?

"...some practitioners of complementary medicine" may suggest that they have a strength against Pokemon that would make you need medicine, such as Poison or Ice Types.

"...allegedly discernible by people with special sensibilities" Could mean types that once were considered Special Types such as Water, Grass, Fire, or Electric could super effect against Aura.

"Any invisible emanation, especially a scent or odor"

Notes: Possibly making it not tangible, which means physical types such as Fighting, Rock, or Ground?

- Aura is, like your type, to counter Shadow Pokemon. It isn't man-made, but was very recently discovered, making it something Cipher didn't account for. It seems to have been hiding in specific Pokemon, because scientists have just considered it to be an ability. Until scientists discovered the type, when they were able to trace it in Pokemon, they had been putting some Pokemon as types other than Aura. Now Pokemon such as Lucario and Medicham have been revealed to be Aura types. (Both are now Aura Fighting) This could mean that Aura and Fighing types team up frequently, similar to the brains and brawn trainers. This also could be due to the fact that I tend to associate Aura with the Yin Yang, being a balance between two opposites.

- Found this on Bulbapedia, Capabilities of Aura:

~Ability to read minds and actions of another being.

~Ability to "sense" other Auras even while blinded.

~Ability to track an Aura belonging to a specific person as long as they have a piece of the Aura to track.

Notes: This mainly gives Aura Types the Ability to see the unseen. Perhaps suggesting that they would be able to see hiding Ghost Pokemon, or even a Keckleon?

-I was also thinking, Aura Types may have an advantage against Pokemon that would have weak or no Auras. Meaning types such as Rock, Steel, Normal, or Ice."

So, after getting an idea in our heads, we can move on to step two!

Step Two: Make a Sample Type Chart for the Type!

As you can see, my list is somewhat big, and includes many, many types in it. Obviously Aura isn't going to super effect on every single Type I talked about in it, but it won't be weak to all of the types I discussed either. What I did now, was I narrowed everything down, and made a list of Aura's possible strengths, weaknesses, resistances, etc. It can be found here:

Now, for the type chart. From my notes, we have gathered that Aura types might super effect against:

-Ice (Healing colds caused by being out in the cold for too long)

-Poison (Healing poison)

-Rock (Tangibility)

-Steel (Tangibility and minimal Aura)

-Normal (Plainness and minimal Aura)

-Ghost (Aura can sense ghosts when they are invisible, rendering them weak)

-(Possibly Fighting if I don't keep the idea that Aura and Fighting types pair together sometimes, due to the fact of Tangibility)

-Ground (Tangibility)

-Aura (Due to being equals and sensing eachothers' auras)

-Shadow Pokemon (Since Cipher didn't know Aura Types existed when they made their original Shadow Pokemon calculations)

And, these types may super effect against Aura Types:

-Aura (As stated before)

-Psychic ("Viewed by Mystics" such as Psychic Types)

-Grass (Special Moves)

-Fire (Special Moves)

-Water (Special Moves)

-Electric (Special Moves)

Now, Aura may resist these Types:

-Fighting (Because when teamed together Aura shouldn't hurt it's Fighting Type allies)

-Ground

-Rock

(All due to being Physical moves, while Aura is not tangible)

And these types may resist Aura:

-Fighting (Because Fighting and Aura may be teamed together, as stated before)

Notice how I explained myself in parenthesis after each Type? Now, don't worry about making others understand you just yet, that part will come later. Put whatever you want in the parenthesis, as long as you can understand what they mean. So, now that we have a near complete list, it's time to narrow everything down once again!

Step Three: Narrow the Type Chart Down!

So, now that I have a sample Type Chart for Aura Types, it's time to make the final chart! Here is where you will do most of the thinking, as you really need to back up your decisions. so, start by going down the list you made. I am going to take out Ice, Rock, Normal, and Ground, because looking at the current type match ups, they don't seem in need of another weakness. So, I am left with this for Super Effectiveness:

-Poison (Healing)

-Aura (Being equals, and able to read eachothers' auras)

-Steel (Having very little to no aura)

-Ghost (Sensing Ghost Type's aura makes their most-used strategy, disappearing, useless)

-Fighting (Aura types are non-tangible, rendering Fighting useless)

-Shadow Pokemon (Being unaccounted for in Cipher's original calculations)

Looking back at the Type Chart, this seems pretty reasonable. as:

- Poison has a mere two weaknesses, many resistances, and super effects against one of the (arguably) best types, Fairy.

-Steel has three weaknesses, but can resist ten Types!

-Ghost has two weaknesses, but only resists a few types, but is immune to two as well, making it nearly four.

-Fighting super effects on five types, with four weaknesses, making it one of the strongest types for super effectiveness.

So, I believe my choices are pretty solid, although there will always be someone who could debate each and every decision I have made, but that's okay! Don't get down on yourself if someone says something about your type, but instead, take it into account, and attempt to fix it! Anyway, repeat this for all of the categories you made before... Here is what I have come up with:

Aura Super Effects Against:

-Poison (Healing)

-Aura (Being equals, and able to read eachother's auras)

-Steel (Having very little to no aura)

-Ghost (Sensing Ghost Type's aura makes their biggest strategy, dissapearing, useless)

-Fighting (Aura types are non-tangible, rendering Fighting useless)

-Shadow Pokemon (Being unaccounted for in Cipher's original calculations)

These Super Effect Against Aura:

-Aura (Again, equals)

-Psychic (Psychic Types are Aura Types' main threats, as they are near equals, and Auras can occasionally be "viewed by mystics" such as Psychic Pokemon)

Aura Resists:

-Ground (Tangibility)

-Rock (Tangibility)

-Steel (Tangibility)

No Types Resist Aura

Step Four: Getting Feedback!

This is probably the most important step of all, in anything you do. You want to see how fans, or even just the community, reacts before you get too far into development. Post your final product for your type anywhere! Well, make sure you don't spam, and follow the rules of the sight, as well as making sure it makes sense where you post the type. From feedback, you can polish your new type into something the majority of the community will adore! Keep in mind there will be people who will lower your spirits, but keep in mind that there is always room for improvement! And with that, I end this tutorial! I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you have learned at least something from my endless jabbering! Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

I find this to be really interesting and something fun to do though you do have to take care with the story integration altought that really wasn't accounted for with fairies (was it Game Freak? Why was I able to kill clefairies with my dragonite before 6 gen?) but you did a good job with the ability justification.

I really don't think the incredible lack of resistances against aura and the few types that are super effective against it are good design. This is just an example, I'd think and not an actual concept you'd like to implemment or would you?

A really neat idea would be that every 1x effective hit that's not AoE would be a crit? I don't know if that couldn't be exploited and there's always hard hitting dragons and psychic types so I don't really know. I think that would be a neat weakness though and make sniper ability pokemons very useful. Just an idea, probably a bit confuse.

Yeah, that last part was a bit confusing... Anyway, I wanted to make Aura a bit OP, but I think I'll add Psychic and Electric that resist Aura, because Electricity is very Science-Related, and Aura is more of a belief, and Science and beliefs do not go well, if that makes since... Any other suggestions?