UCL

NeoVexus

The United Championship League between 16 poketubers. Just curious as to if anyone here is keeping up with it & to hear their thoughts as to what they think so far & who the top contenders are & who'll end up taking the belt in the end. Personally I'm rooting for Shady but he's been playing kinda poorly lately but I have hope he'll bounce back. I'd say the top 5 would be Joey, Dan, Shady, Leo, & Nipps in that order.

I've also been following it, although mainly from the view points of Joey, Shady, and Nappy (in that order). To be completely honest, I feel Joey is going to sweep through everyone. Unless he chokes a few battles away, which probably won't happen since he always goes for his safest play unless he is forced to do otherwise, Joey should be able to simply Tail Glow through everyone. Because honestly, what's anyone's team to a well played Beartic? But in all seriousness, Joey has tons od experience and is widely hearalded as one of the best singles battlers involved in competative battling- and for good reason.

Shady is a cool guy and he's extremely passionate about his teams and I would go so far as to say that this is one of his greatest weaknesses. He wamts to keep all his mons alive and healthy and he tends to have somewhat over the top reactions which cloud his mind. Serenity is your ally in the heat of battle. A clouded mind is a- easy to predict and b- very narrow in vision, which I feel prevents Shady from executing his opponents as he should. An example is easy to locate in this most recent battle which Shady fought. He could have easily have gone for a Drain Punch or even Fire Punch with his Regirock when Ferro came in, but instead he was so csught up in the ideas of WP Regirock Sweep that he forgot about one of- if not THE- most threatening pokemon on his opponent's team.He got caught up in the moment and forgot the basic rule of not setting up with a sweeper until the checks and counters were either worn down or KOed.I really love his team and he holds a lot of strong threats like Mega Pinsir, but he tends to stop thinking clearly and lose his head. Hopefully this will change in upcoming weeks.

Nappy is pretty cut and dry, honestly. He has a lot of good pokemon that are awesome for taking out all sorts of other mons, but his main weakness (imo) is how he stresses out excessively DURING the battle as he quickly attempts to identity sets. The difference between Nappy and Joey is Joey does the calcs and prep and investigationsi into movepools while teambuilding and Nappy simply looks at the mons his foe could bring and brings pokemon to counter those mons im their standard sets. In his own most recent fight. it didn't even occur to him that David's T-Tar could be a special attacker and he nearly sacked his Krookodile turn 1 to it as he did not consider this option, although Ice Punch was another possible move that would have torn through Krook since the SpeDef boost from T-Tar's sand would not be impendeing his foe's attacks.

• Support Squad

I've been watching Nappy, although I can't really say he has much of a chance yet when the 3 people he's gone up against were Kristen, Twit and David, two of which aren't really competitive. Idk about David, all I know is he's the butt of half the jokes

Joey is probably going to sweep through everyone imo - except Dan (aDrive) seems to be a pretty competent candidate too.

I've been following Shady and Nappy's progresses (because I've been following their channels for a while), and they've been doing alright so far. Shady did play quite poorly in the last battle - but it was frustrating to see that many people were criticizing Shady for losing to Kristen with the attitude of 'omg you lost to her?'. Personally I thought she played pretty well and made some nice plays, and it was annoying to see that she didn't receive much credit.

I don't believe anyone in the UCL to be bad at Pokemon, simply because none of them are. They're all there for a reason and that reason is because they are PokeTubers with wide (and overlapping) audiences that are strong competitive players. No one should be shamed for how they do in battle as, well, it's a video game and also as a result of the immense being in a league battle where their reputation as a pokemon battler is on the line. I didn't really understand it before this current Reborn event/league (RCBA), but now that I'm getting into it more, I see exactly what people like Shady are freaking out about and people like Nappy are letting decisions come down to the wire because the pressure is just crazy. Not to make this about me (because it definitely isn't. it's just a personal example), but going into each battle before I took a loss this RCBA season I kept thinking: "Is this is? Is this where my streak of victory ends?" and it finally did with Sparky by me playing absolutely abysmally and by Sparky simply making his best possible plays. As Joey always says, you don't need to make a cool, flashy play all the time, but rather save that for when you need to catch up and make a play to win. Simply make your best possible play most every turn and you should do fine.

I don't believe any of the UCL members to be bad- not Shady, not Kristen, not David, nor any of the other 13 coaches. They may not always make their best plays and they sometimes forget themselves, but they're all good people and good battlers who deserve to be recognized as such. Sure, Kristen may not be doing so hot right now, but she may just be the David needed to take down Joey the Goliath.

• 3 weeks later...

The Shady vs Nappy battle was uploaded recently - and it was a pretty good match.

But did Nappy HAVE to rant about how a crit made him lose the battle at the end?

What do you guys think?

I guess it shows how much he really wanted to win it.

It is unfortunate that the crit happened tho, but that is Pokemon for you unfortunately.

Also, Joey is now the only undefeated person in UCL :]