Feeling worthless and stupid.

alaneapen

I graduated from City College of New York with a 2.76 gpa of years of messing up on 2 biology classes, physics and chemistry. I am so passionate about conservation biology and wildlife. After graduating, I got accepted to do a virtual Conservation writer internship, just turning in my first draft of a paper on Forest Conservation in India. I know my gpa is crap but it has increased after realizing my love for Wildlife conservation and the environment. Worse off my mom wants me to pursue a career in the medical field like Physicians Assistant or Physical Therapy. I really want to pursue a Masters of Science in Conservation Biology. Sadly, I think my abysmal gpa makes both unattainable. Am I screwed for life. Will I be a bum forever,

If you shift into Wildlife Conservation, possibly even going back to undergraduate school for it if things don't work out immediately as far as graduate school, you'll be fine. A 2.76 isn't condemning whatsoever…you've got plenty of choices still. What's important is to not get discouraged and keep going no matter how grim things seem. You've got this, especially now that you know what your goal is…and make sure it's YOUR goal…your parents may not initially like your decision to pursue WC instead of the medical field, odds are they'll support you in the long run. Keep your eyes on the end goal, and you'll be fine :)

Here's my two cents; at least you've gone to school, and at least you are on the path to making something of yourself and doing what you love. Don't budge from that path, once you're on it, it's a hell of a lot harder to get back on once you've been knocked off.

As for your mother, fuck what she wants, it's your life not hers. If your parents don't want you to pursue your dreams, they're honestly not being parents. You have the opportunity to do it, so go for it. Don't let your perception kick you down, because you won't get back up once you begin to allow it.

Your GPA won't ruin you, and if need be, there are other options and various other routes you can take to get to where you want. Things aren't always as black and white as they seem.

So, what I'm say, is fuck all; go for it. You lose nothing if you leap, but if you don't, you run the possibility of always looking back and thinking: What if? Trust me, you don't want that. Just go for it, and do whatever is necessary to catch that dream.

• Support Squad

Beat your future into submission. It is yours to do with as you please and if isn't something you want you don't have to stand for that. A quick backhand to your present GPA should whip it into shape.

Do the job you love. If you follow your mother's desire, you'll feel trapped and bitterness in that job. You might not click with it like you do with wild life conservation. When I was younger, my mother wanted me to be a teacher. At the time I gave a robotic yes. I didn't know what career I wanted at the time. I later realized I wouldn't want to interact with obnoxious kids daily. I would be mentally drained and energy sapped out of me. Plus, I wasn't really a normal kid when I was growing up. I grew up really quiet and calm. I don't know how normal children act. My youngest sibling is very energetic and gets into trouble unlike me and my 15 year old brother. The teacher job would have drove me crazy. If I have so-so patience with my sister's antics, how can I handle a class of 30+ students?

I know you might of heard this tons of times, but do you see youself doing physical therepy in 10 years? It's a good question to think about. Would you be happy? Even if the money is better, it won't motivate you. Your future boss can throw money at you, but it won't make you work harder. You need to like you job or you won't make an effort to get work done. You can get a raise and you won't feel happier.Would you regret it? Would you only keep the job because you invested money in it through your education?

If you are really concerned about you gpa, make connections with people in your field.

Edited by Fantasy Warlock