Reborn OU Team

Xiri

So... I currently have six Reborn save files (all with different teams), and I thought it would be nice to assemble a team by choosing one Pokemon from each save file. I'm still relatively new to competitive battling - so I would appreciate your comments and opinions!

At first glance, the team does look pretty weak - but it does work though. Trust me.

gengar.gif

Phantom (Gengar) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Timid Nature

- Sludge Wave

- Shadow Ball

- Focus Blast

- Destiny Bond

The team's powerhouse. Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball are great STABs and Focus Blast deals with the all-so common Heatran and Terrakion. Focus Sash-Destiny Bond works well together, unless the opponent has priority like Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch.

334.png

Pabiri (M-Altaria) @ Altarianite

Ability: Pixilate

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Return

- Earthquake

- Roost

I'm running a physical M-Altaria set - as my team is mainly special. With the same base attack and special attack, Altaria does tend to get your opponent to think about whether it is physically or specially offensive. It basically becomes a monster with 2 Dragon Dances up - and will hit almost everything. Roost is there to restore HP as it sets up.

gothitelle.gif

Moazelle (Gothitelle) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Shadow Tag

EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Calm Mind

- Psyshock

- Trick

- Rest

The team's troll. Shadow Tag prevents the opponent from switching - so if Gothitelle switches in on a wall, it's pretty much GG for that wall - examples include Chansey and Milotic. But this set does find a few problems - such as nothing to hit Dark types and the fact that I'm a mediocre player and I can't always seem to get the timing right xD.

magnezone.gif

Coil (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Timid Nature

- Volt Switch

- Thunderbolt

- Flash Cannon

- Hidden Power Ice

Typical Choice Scarf Magnezone. I don't really like running two Scarfers on the same team - but I really couldn't give it anything else to be honest. HP Ice is there to OHKO Landorus-T and sometimes Garchomp. This also makes Coil my usual lead - as people really like to lead with their Landorus-T or Garchomp.

diggersby.gif

Paruto (Diggersby) @ Life Orb

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Jolly Nature

- Return

- Quick Attack

- Fire Punch

- Earthquake

A powerful, but frail member. Return and Earthquake are STAB, and Quick Attack is also a nice STAB priority move - so that's pretty useful too. Fire Punch is there to deal with annoying Ferrothorn and Scizor - and this catches opponents off-guard too.

dragalge.gif

Draca (Dragalge) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Adaptability

EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe

Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Sludge Wave

- Hydro Pump

- Toxic Spikes

Finally, I've added a UU Pokemon to the team. Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave are STAB, while Hydro Pump offers coverage (I might exchange it for Focus Blast - but Gengar already has it, so I thought it would be nice to have a water attack). Toxic Spikes is actually quite useful, which surprised me - as there aren't many Poison types lurking around in OU.

So that is the team! Feel free to leave your comments below. I don't think I'll be changing any of the members but if you have any suggestions, please leave them below as well. If you think, a different combination will work - choose six Pokemon, one from each team and show me the team you came up with!

Team 1: Greninja - Gengar - Noivern - Arcanine - Meowstic(F) - Florges

Team 2: Chesnaught - Lopunny - Flygon - Houndoom - Gardevoir - Altaria

Team 3: Swampert - Luxray - Gothitelle - Cinccino - Glaceon - Chandelure

Team 4: Empoleon - Weezing - Tentacruel - Magnezone - Krookodile - Gogoat

Team 5: Feraligatr - Muk - Venomoth - Diggersby - Trevenant - Froslass

Team 6: Delphox - Leavanny - Heliolisk - Dragalge - Reuniclus - Clawitzer

Team looks good, but personally, I'd swap out Hydro Pump for Scald for that 30% to burn to bolster what little defense Dragalge has and to maybe ruin an opponent's mon.

I concur to this. But there are also other changes I would like to suggest:

1) Choice Band Diggersby: people tend to forget it, but Diggersby actually has U-turn. Band Diggerspy with U-Turn, Return, Earthquake and whatever filler you are good with (typically Quick Attack for prio or Stone Edge for coverage) hits like a truck and forms a Volt-Turn core with Magnezone, allowing you to trap the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn more easily.

2) Speaking of trapping: Magnet Pull over Sturdy on Magnezone, and Hidden Power Fire over Ice. This way, you are guaranteed to trap and kill not only Skarmory and Empoleon, but also Scizor and Ferrothorn. And these are very important kills because these Pokemon can otherwise stop your win condition, Mega Altaria, in its tracks.

3) I really don't like mono-attacking Gothitelle. I mean ok, at low levels of play it guarantees a victory when you trap a Pokemon, cripple it with trick, and start using CM and Rest to get to +4, simply because the opponent will get bored and ragequit halfway through... But at high levels, all you will achieve is killing one single Pokemon, the one you trapped, and even doing that will require a long, long time. Then the opponent will send out Bisharp or Tyranitar and Pursuit-trap you to death. So yeah, you waste an insane amount of turns just to trade one kill: how does that make any sense?

I therefore recommend getting rid of this thing altogether, because Magnezone already does a MUCH better job at trapping enemies that are problematic for Altaria. And speaking of Altaria, you are not using Heal Bell on that one, meaning it is weak to status: I therefore suggest putting a cleric in Gothitelle's place, someone that can pass Wishes around to keep your team-mates healthy, and Heal Bell to cure Altaria should it get burned...

Well, this is all I can suggest. Good luck with the team :)

Thanks guys for your input!

Team looks good, but personally, I'd swap out Hydro Pump for Scald for that 30% to burn to bolster what little defense Dragalge has and to maybe ruin an opponent's mon.

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot about Scald. I'll change it right away!

I concur to this. But there are also other changes I would like to suggest:

1) Choice Band Diggersby: people tend to forget it, but Diggersby actually has U-turn. Band Diggerspy with U-Turn, Return, Earthquake and whatever filler you are good with (typically Quick Attack for prio or Stone Edge for coverage) hits like a truck and forms a Volt-Turn core with Magnezone, allowing you to trap the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn more easily.

2) Speaking of trapping: Magnet Pull over Sturdy on Magnezone, and Hidden Power Fire over Ice. This way, you are guaranteed to trap and kill not only Skarmory and Empoleon, but also Scizor and Ferrothorn. And these are very important kills because these Pokemon can otherwise stop your win condition, Mega Altaria, in its tracks.

3) I really don't like mono-attacking Gothitelle. I mean ok, at low levels of play it guarantees a victory when you trap a Pokemon, cripple it with trick, and start using CM and Rest to get to +4, simply because the opponent will get bored and ragequit halfway through... But at high levels, all you will achieve is killing one single Pokemon, the one you trapped, and even doing that will require a long, long time. Then the opponent will send out Bisharp or Tyranitar and Pursuit-trap you to death. So yeah, you waste an insane amount of turns just to trade one kill: how does that make any sense?

I therefore recommend getting rid of this thing altogether, because Magnezone already does a MUCH better job at trapping enemies that are problematic for Altaria. And speaking of Altaria, you are not using Heal Bell on that one, meaning it is weak to status: I therefore suggest putting a cleric in Gothitelle's place, someone that can pass Wishes around to keep your team-mates healthy, and Heal Bell to cure Altaria should it get burned...

Well, this is all I can suggest. Good luck with the team :)

1) & 2) I thought about Choice Band on Diggersby - but I don't usually like going for Choice items unless its a Scarf. However, I will try your suggestion - because it does seem to work quite well with Magnezone's Magnet Pull. I didn't know that Diggersby had U-Turn too!

3) I admit, Gothitelle is pretty tricky to utilize properly, and I wish I could be smarter with how I play it. A Wish Passer/Heal Bell user would be wonderful for my Altaria - but that kinda ruins the purpose of building this team around my Reborn teams. I guess Glaceon could learn Wish and Heal Bell, but OU is probably a tough environment for Glaceon.

Sylveon can do the work just fine: I actually like Sylveon as a cleric because, with Pixilate, Hyper Voice hits insanely hard even uninvested, meaning you can put all of your EVs in HP and SpDef and get yourself a very good wall/cleric that can still hit hard if taunted. So yeah, just breed yourself another Eevee from the eeveelution you currently have, train it to become a Sylveon and profit? And having two fairies in the party won't be a problem because, between Diggersby and Magnezone, you'll have no problems dealing with Steel-type foes...

• 4 months later...