The First Love Story [CW][Feedback]

Soft gray eyes look out the window, a city blurring into a mixture of lights and darkness. The owner of the lovely gaze tucks a few loose strands of bleach blonde hair behind her ear. She continues to stare through the glass to her cabin window, her petite form bouncing every time the train clacks over a tie. The tracks make a bend and the city vanishes, leaving only the black of the night. She sighs.

The door to her cabin slides open, as a friendly voice speaks, “Kiera, you’re still awake?”

She turns to her companion, a fellow pale skinned youth. Atop his head is a messy array of hair as black as coal. His amber eyes have an inlay of gold that make them ignite like fire when he speaks. Devilishly handsome is befitting description for her friend.

“Yeah,” she puts on a smile, “Just having trouble sleeping.”

“You need your rest,” he insists, taking the seat next to her.

Kiera sighs again, and lays her head on his shoulder, still gazing out the window. A blanket is draped over her, as her friend helps her get comfortable. His natural aroma tickles her nose, a sweet smell like apples, yet accented with smoke that reminds her of burning hearth. It seems to lull her, but sleep still refuses to find its way to her eyes.

“Lucas,” she says, “Have you ever been in love before?”

“What?” he looks at her, “Where is this coming from?”

“I don’t know,” she says coyly, “You lived for a long time, so I figured…”

She can feel him tense, “Well, I suppose, but it was quite some time ago.”

“What was it like?”

He shifts uncomfortably in his seat, his words coming out carefully, “Well…it was painful...”

“Painful?” she asks, “Why would you say that?”

He chews on his lower lip, pausing for a moment. Although she does not see his reaction, Kiera hears Lucas sigh, as the truth slips along his tongue of a truth lost long ago…

One fourth of the stars fell that day. A simple number, but it speaks volumes when you consider how many stars there are in the sky. Billions of souls snuffed out in a failed attempt to usurp a throne that was no right mine. Yet I was prideful and selfish. I can’t even remember what spurred my rebellious thoughts.

Upon my defeat, I along with those who were foolish enough to follow me, were brought before Him to face our just punishment. I was first to be brought before Him. My Father, my Creator…I remember how I spat at His feet and voiced my hatred.

All around us were His loyal children, demanding divine punishment for my cruel actions. To them I was no longer a kin. I was the Dragon who snuffed out the lives of billions of our brethren, their souls lost for eternity. Why should my punishment be no different than what I suffered onto them?

And yet…when He spoke, his words were not angry, “Lucifer, my child,” I remember him saying, “You caused destruction and turned my children against one another. You desire to rule has been heard, and thus your punishment shall reflect your desires. Your brothers that followed you into this rebellion will follow you into your kingdom of fire and sin. I shall rule the goodness of the world, while you reign over the wicked. This is your punishment…my child.”

“…And for my crimes I was cast into Hell to rule over my fellow Fallen Angels,” Lucas finishes. “For thousands of years, I was bitter. I took his punishment as a cruel jape. I caused lots of problems in retaliation, infecting the world with wickedness. Now I see that He did it out of love. Instead of simply making me vanish, he gave me exactly what I wanted. I wish I would have realized it sooner.”

Lucas looks down at Kiera, but finds her sleeping. The devil gently runs his fingers through her hair as she nuzzles into his arms.

“Love is painful when you betray the one who loves you, because love is unconditional.