Just for once i'd love a sprite of my Ethnicity :(

YaBoyRulz

I haven't played a fan game yet that lets you choose a colored sprite, Reborn is by far my favorite and I was wondering is there anyway I could edit my game sprite to be a darker skin tone? Maybe have a little afro too so It looks like me hah :P ohh buddy I'd be pumped

You can edit the sprites, you just gotta open the directories to get to them. You can find the player character's overworld and battle/back sprite in the characters folder in the graphics folder. You can edit their transition sprite (the one that pops up on the screen before an important battle, like versus a rival or gym leader) in the transitions folder in the graphics folder. If you also want to edit the sprite that is used during the select your character section, it will be in the pictures folder in the graphics folder.

thanks a lot :P I've never done sprite editing before so this is going to take me a long time any tips / suggested program I should use?

I used Usenti, as it lets you change the palette directly, and it lets you see the color values as numbers, so you can simply change a colors values to that of the color you want.

EX: I made this by copying the first female protagonist's color values for her hair, and changing the first male protagonists color values into them: 1RZiSoj.png (Left is original, right is replacing the color values, also I know it's not exactly a great palette swap, but cut me some slack, I can't sprite for the life of me.)

If you want something more elaborate than a palette swap, Paint.net is probably better.

EDIT: Better Explanation: When you open up Usenti, use the color select tool and click on any color. You can see it's values here:

Upy5Mxb.png

Now, lets say you want to change the color to match the sprite of the right, like this:

15P2rrd.png

You then use the color pick tool on the color you want to copy, like this:

Zv9pWdG.png

You see those numbers on the right? Those are the RGB values for colors. Replacing the values on the color you want to replace is as simple as typing them in, like this:

U7uVzyi.png

Just a fair warning, the character sprites in the character folders are full sprite sheets, so you gotta be careful that your changes to the front walking sprites doesn't ruin the back walking sprites, and if so, then you have to fix the coloring. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mighty Kamina

If you have Photoshop, it lets you do something similar to Usenti. You can select the hair and change the Hue, just sliding the bar to whatever colour you want.

Also,

I think i'll try using Usenti, those instructions seem pretty straight forward thanks again ^_^
& Hahah Reno I agree there is no place for purple/green people on this earth... unless there suffocating or very sick :P

EDIT: This is way out of my league I don't think i'll ever be able to do it without making the whole sprite a blob <_< I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to change the sprites skin tone darker (around brock complexion) then make the hair dark brown instead of black? if anyone could do this for me I'd be forever in your debt!

EDIT #2: After a lot of messing around I finally completed the custom sprites but when I use it in reborn it has a white box around him and he's all glitchy, I was wondering if anyone could explain this issue and help me out I really wanna use it :unsure: , when I open the sprites in Usenti they look fine but when I open them as a file they look all messed I have pictures to explain but i'm new and don't know how to post pictures someone please help me! :(

Edited by TheNegroKetchum

I think i'll try using Usenti, those instructions seem pretty straight forward thanks again ^_^

& Hahah Reno I agree there is no place for purple/green people on this earth... unless there suffocating or very sick :P

EDIT: This is way out of my league I don't think i'll ever be able to do it without making the whole sprite a blob <_< I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to change the sprites skin tone darker (around brock complexion) then make the hair dark brown instead of black? if anyone could do this for me I'd be forever in your debt!

EDIT #2: After a lot of messing around I finally completed the custom sprites but when I use it in reborn it has a white box around him and he's all glitchy, I was wondering if anyone could explain this issue and help me out I really wanna use it :unsure: , when I open the sprites in Usenti they look fine but when I open them as a file they look all messed I have pictures to explain but i'm new and don't know how to post pictures someone please help me! :(

That seems to be a transparency issue. Just open up something like Paint.net, select the magic wand tool, turn the tolerance to 0% (So the sprite doesn't get caught by the magic wand tool), select the background color that should be transparent, and delete it.

Edited by Mighty Kamina