Reborn in Darkness [CW]

Raviel the Phantom

Prologue (1 of 2)

"Amethyst Black, I presume?"

A young woman with long hair as white as fresh fallen snow turns to the addresser, "Yes, that is me. Who is asking?"

On the opposite side of the table is a man a few years older with coal black hair that erupts into small spikes. He wears a black lab coat with a trim of silver fur around the collar. Eyes of metallic silve gaze into her own, a stare as sharp as a blade.

"I am Lucas Weirwood," the young man addresses, "A professor from the Zecros Region."

"Zecros?" Ame finds the name queer on her lips. "You are a long way from home to be in Reborn."

"Well my studies have brought me to your region," Lucas answers earnestly.

She looks at him suspiciously, "And what do you research in, if you don't mind me asking."

"Evolution, my dear Amethyst," he answers.

"Then you should be in Kalos," she replies, "They have discovered Mega Evolution."

He shrugs, "I have been to Kalso and Hoenn on the matter. It is Reborn now that I seek to look into."

Suddenly a dark look overcomes him, as he glances left and right to make sure there are no eavesdroppers.

Ame takes notice, "Is something the matter?"

He leans on the counter to get closer to her, "Have you had any recent reports of any...unusual Pokemon?"

"Unusual?" she looks at him oddly, "What do you mean by that?"

"No?" he stands upright, "Then I shall be off."

He goes to turn around, but Amethyst jumps over the counter and grabs the fur of his coat. Lucas flails to get free, but she reels him back. Whipping him around, she snatches the collar of his shirt. Her piercing eyes stab into him, causing a little sweat to form at his temple.

"I do not like secrets kept from me," she says through clenched teeth, "Especially in my region. Now...tell me why you are here!"

She lets go of him. Lucas fixes his shirt and coat before he speaks, "The truth is...I am after someone that came here from Zecros."

"And he has something to do with unusual looking Pokemon?" she asks.

"In a way," he confesses. "Are you familiar with Dark Evolution?"

"I'm not," she crosses her arms.

Lucas makes sure no one is even watching them, "Like Mega Evolution, Dark Evolution pushes a Pokemon beyond the normal bounds of evolution, for a period of time. Yet, it is a more dangerous form."

Ame's eyes widen, "Dangerous how?"

Lucas explains, "When Pokemon are abused or mistreated, a hatred is created in their hearts; darkness if you will. It is from this "darkness" that they undergo a new evolution. It is powerful, possibly more than Mega Evolution. However, these Pokemon become hostile and difficult to control. We even had reports in Zecros of Dark Pokemon slaughtering their trainers."

"That is dangerous," Ame hides her unease. "And what about this man you are after?"

"He has somehow mastered this Dark Evolution," Lucas reponds.

"And how is that bad?" Ame wonders. "Surely you could ask him to help you."

"If only," he says, disheartened. "The power has driven him mad. He wants to punish humanity for the very existence of Dark Evolution. That is what brings him to Reborn."

"Why," Ame asks, her hands clench tightly.

"I am sure you know why," Lucas looks at her darkly, "Reborn is homed to hundreds of abused and battered Pokemon. Every single one of them harbors darkness in its heart. Every one of them is capable of Dark Evolution."

"He wants an army?" Ame gasps.

Lucas nods, "That's why I'm here. With your permission, I would like to use everything in my power to stop him."

"I understand," Amethyst answers. "But in order to get through the region properly, you will need Gym Badges. So it is safe to say you are going to need to take on the Reborn League."

Lucas smiles, "Oh, is that all?"

"Do not underestimate my gym leaders," Ame smirks at his cockiness, "They're incredibly tough."

"Don't worry," he answers, as he puts his hands in his lab coat, "So am I."

• Upvote 1

Prologue (2 of 2)

Darkness overcomes the Lapis Ward. A storm in the area releases a blast of lightning off in the distance, but lights up the heavens in a bright flash. Thunder roars like an angry beast while rain pelts the homes. An old woman is awoken by the rumbling of the skies. The bitter crone grabs for her lamp beside her bed, only to find the power out. She grumbles to herself as she gets out of bed.

"This damn town," she complains aloud, "Nothing works around here..."

Opening the bedside drawer, she manages to find a flashlight. Clicking the bright red button brings a soft yellow glow to the room. The old woman climbs out of bed, snatching a small bag containing three Pokeballs sitting at the foot of her bed. Slinging the bag over her shoulder, she shuffles to the stairs. Below, she can hear footsteps. Someone is in her house.

"If it is those damn hooligans," she caws, "I'm gonna call the police."

Taking each step carefully, it takes her a few minutes before she reaches the bottom. The soft yellow glow of her flashlight bounces around her house, looking for the intruder. It manages to catch the coat tails of something fleeing for the foyer. The bitter old woman screeches as she chases after the intruder. Her brittle legs carry her quickly across the carpet. She finds someone standing at the front door.

"You magma bastards," the crone says sourly, "Or are you aqua?"

"I can hear their misery," says the intruder, "The three you hold there are in pain."

Suddenly the power goes back on, ceiling lights illuminate the battlefield size foyer in the front of the crone's house. The intruder faces her with his arms folded. He is tall and broad chested hidden behind a hooded cloak. Upon his face is a pale mask with curved slits for the eyes. It is smooth, hiding all of his features. A black crescent moon decorates the right eye.

"Who the hell are you?" the old woman caws.

"Zora," he answers, "Kindly hand over your Pokemon."

"What? No!" she answers in a shrill tone.

He speaks with a voice as sharp as a sword, "They are suffering. You must!"

"They're Pokemon," she snaps. "They don't have feelings. They're just tools."

"I see," Zora says softly as he grabs a Dusk Ball. "Then their despair comes from you."

He throws out the Pokeball. In a bright flash of light, an orange dragon appears from the ball. The Charizard emerges with a powerful roar. It lands gracefully despite its tattered wings. Hundreds of old scars litter its body. One large scar runs across its left eye, which opens to reveal it has been robbed of sight.

The old crone sees the thing, "So you want a battle? Fine then!"

Disobeying the rules of battling, the old crone throws all three of the Pokeballs onto the ground. Three flashes of light simultaneously erupt from the balls. Once they fade, Zora sees the suffering Pokemon. The vicious plant, Victreebell, the puffer fish, Qwilfish, and the flightless dragon, Druddigon. They each announce their presence with their respective battle-cry. Zora looks to each of them, as he slides his right sleeve up his arm. Wrapped around his wrist is an unusual stone latched to a chain.

"Charizard," he calls to his dragon, "Use the power of the Sin Stone to release the darkness within yourself. Turn your suffering to strength."

The stone glows in a black light, as Charizard lets out a mighty roar. Smoke as dark as the blackest pitch surrounds the dragon, though it does not fear it. It wraps him in an orb until he cannot be seen. And then, like a cocoon the orb breaks apart, as Dark Charizard emerges from the husk, transformed by the darkness. The bitter old woman and her Pokemon stumble back as a towering creature stands before them.

Charizard has been ripped of flesh, leaving only bone that has been charred black. The skeletal dragon is three times the size of its former self, forcing it to walk on all fours. Inside its rib cage is a raging blue fire that seems to be filled with wailing spirits. The eerie flames engulf the tip of its tail and its empty eye sockets. The Dark Charizard lets out a roar that sounds almost like a banshee's moan. Its scream alone causes the structure of the halls to tremble, cracks shaping across the walls.

The bitter crone is frightened, but not about to lose her Pokemon, "Don't just gawk, you idiots, attack it!"

Despite their own fear, her Pokemon obey. Razor leaves come flying at Dark Charizard, followed by a jet stream of water, and lastly a fiery attack from a true dragon. They hit the skeletal beast head on, yet Dark Charizard does not so much as flinch. At the sight that none of their attacks work, the bitter old crone calls them back to her Pokeball.

"You slime," she caws, "Are you going to rob me now? You snake!"

Zora shakes his head, "Robbing you would mean that they belonged to you. I can hear their cries. You stole them from those they loved. You abused them. They never belonged to you. I will not rob you, I will save them."

"Hah," she scoffs, "Like hell I'll let you. I'm calling the police."

The old crone turns to head to the kitchen, when she hears the Dark Charizard roar again. Its cry freezes her in her tracks. Fear has overtaken her, despite her bravado. Behind her, she can hear Zora walking across the floor. She is unable to stop him as he takes the three Pokeballs from her. Then, his footsteps become fainter as he walks away. The fearful spell leaves her once he is back by the door. She turns quickly to see him holding her Pokeballs as if he were cradling a child.

"Charizard," he calls to his faithful beast. "See to it that no trace is left of their sufferer. Burn it all with Hellfire!"

The bitter crone screams in pain as she is engulfed in the searing blue flames.