A Collection of Baubles [CW][Feedback/Critique]

A friend of mine had begun writing poems recently, and I'd decided that I'd try my hand at writing once more. Maybe even learn how to rhyme. Or something.

So... the plan is that I'd place a bunch of poems that pop into my head into one topic instead of spamming the Creative Writing thread with a bunch of free-verse wannabe poems.

In this light, feedback and critique would have to indicate which poem they are criticizing or commenting on.

any resemblance to the dramatic situations and personae are fully coincidental and unintentional

• 1 month later...

"Cytotoxin" (or was that "cytotoxic"... zeh) marks the first take on this challenge I'm taking: for twenty-six days, I'm going to take a new word from the dictionary and write a poem based on it. The rules are that the word has to be involved in one way or another, whether I mention it, write about it, make it into an acronym-- whatever, as long as I write something about it. I've already got my words for days two and three, which I'll be posting later and tomorrow, respectively. Should you like to suggest a word for me to write about, feel free to post it here or PM me.

I'll post up the word I choose and its meaning and context, if any. Maybe if I feel like it, I'll provide justification for what I've written as well.

EDIT: So I've found out a rule ._. apparently I was supposed to follow the alphabet in doing this and that I can't repeat a letter... no wonder it's a 26-day challenge. In this light, after day three's word (which'll start with the letter A because I already have C and B ), I'll continue with a word starting with the letter D, and so on and so forth.

List of words used + definitions according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary

Day one: Cytotoxin refers to any substance that is... well, a toxin to cells.

Day two: Blackguard as a noun refers to a person (particularly a man) who behaves in a dishonorable or contemptible way. A rude or unscrupulous person; as a verb, it means to abuse or talk about somebody in a scurrilous or an offensive manner. Obsolete usage: kitchen servants of a household

Bonus poem's word: Zero hour refers to the time at which an event (e.g. military attack) is scheduled to begin. It may also be a time at which a vital decision must be made.

Day three: Concatenate is a verb wherein objects are linked together in a series or a chain; it may also be used as an adjective to describe things as being linked together. Abnegation refers to self-denial.

Day four: Dysaesthesia is an impairment of sensitivity especially to touch.

Day five: Eagre is the sudden rise of tide in a river.

Day six: Furfuraceous describes things that are covered by bran-like scales or having flaky particles.

Day seven: Gressorial describes parts of a body that have been adapted for walking.

Day eight: Halitus, root word for halitosis, means breath or vapor.

Day nine: Ianthine describes objects as having a violet color.

Day ten: JATO stands for jet-assisted takeoff.

Day eleven: Kame is a short ridge, hill, or mound of stratified drift deposited by glacial meltwater.

Day twelve: Ligyrophobia didn't have an entry in the Merriam-Webster dictionary ._. but it refers to the fear of loud noises

Day thirteen: Misosophy refers to the hatred of wisdom and/or knowledge.

Day fourteen: Noctilucent means [to be] luminescent at night.

Day fifteen: Ord refers to the point of a weapon, or a beginning.

Day sixteen: Palillogy is the act of repeating a word or phrase for emphasis.

Day seventeen: Quicquidlibet means whatever one pleases; anything whatsoever.

Day nineteen: Skerry refers to a small rocky formation poking over the surface of the sea.

Day twenty: Tryst refers to an agreement between two lovers to meet, usually at a secret place and time.