[CW/Short Story/WIP] The Vividity of Love

Rosesong

It started with a collision.

I was running through the halls of Haughton Chemical Laboratories, past the black and white walls that I had grown accustomed to during the past four years as a researcher, intent on returning all of the files I borrowed back to the research center before it closed for the day. While juggling them all, I, of course, forgot the most important rule of running in crowded areas: keep an eye on your surroundings at all times. As I ducked my head down, using my chin as a way to nudge a stray file back to the center of my stack of folders, WHAM. Papers flew high into the air and gently fluttered to the ground as I fell on my back, losing my glasses in the fall. A thud opposite of where I had landed told me that I had managed to knock down my poor, unsuspecting victim as well.

Scrambling to grab my glasses, I shoved them back on my face and gasped, “I'm so sorry!” as I started crawling on my knees, collecting the fallen papers and hastily shoving them back into their correct folders and envelopes. Looking up, I rambled on, “I hope I didn't hurt you, I just didn't see where I was...” allowing my voice to trail off as I saw the other person clearly for the first time. His hair was long, hanging just barely above his eyes, while his face was full with high cheekbones and a smooth, rounded jawline. Realizing that I hadn't finished my sentence, I ducked my head to hide a blush before stammering out, “G-going. I wasn't watching where I was going.”

The man pulled himself to his feet and brushed himself off, giving me a smile that made my heart swoon. He stretched out his hand to me, saying in a warm baritone voice, “It's quite alright, miss. You had your hands full and between you and I, I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings either.” Balancing my file overload in one arm precariously, I hesitantly reached up to take his hand. He pulled me to my feet gently and took half of the folders that I was holding. “Please, allow me to help you,” he said when I tried to protest against it. “Judging by all of this, I would say you were headed to the research center.” Mesmerized by the kindness in his eyes, I merely nodded and fell into step beside him as he began to lead the way to my destination.

Our walk wasn't awkward, but neither of us spoke at first. I was kind of glad for this, unsure if I would be able to talk to this suave, handsome man calmly. Occasionally I would sneak side glances at him, admiring the focus he exemplified and wondering why he would help the klutz that had managed to plant him on his back. The research center came into view, and he slowed his pace drastically, looking at me sideways. “So, miss, what's your name?” he inquired. “And what do you do here, though I think I have an idea,” he chuckled, looking down at both of our stacks of borrowed folders.

“Jenna, Jenna Reynolds,” I said, proud of myself for not stuttering but at the same time wishing I hadn't spoken so quickly. Taking a deep breath, I slowed myself and began speaking again. “I'm a researcher here at Haughton, my primary research right now is whether olympiadane has any real functionality as a chemical compound.” Stopping fully, I looked at the man with curiosity. “Thank you very much for your assistance, Mr...” My voice trailed off at the end, in hopes that he would take the hint and tell me his name. The smirk that donned his face told me that he had indeed caught on to what I was wanting, so I tried to make light of the situation. “Not many people would help someone that used them for body slam practice,” I giggled.

The mystery man stopped and leaned against the wall next to me. “Carter, Douglas Carter. But you, my dear, can simply call me Doug. I am one of the head chemists currently testing biochemical changes.” Doug allowed himself to chuckle briefly, answering my last statement as he did so. “Well, miss Jenna, I simply couldn't let you bang into others the way you did for me, now could I? Also, who wouldn't want to help a pretty girl such as yourself?” I blushed and looked down shyly, unsure of what to say at that point. Never before had a guy given me such a sweet compliment, especially one that I found to be quite handsome. Raising my head, our eyes met, and in his I could see surprise and a bit of apprehension. “Y-your eyes,” he murmured, taking a step closer. “I can see...” The rest of Doug's soft words were lost as an alarm went off. Sighing, he gave me the files back. “Jenna, please. May I take you out to lunch tomorrow?” The offer caught me off guard, and I merely nodded, dumbfounded. “Great, I'll meet you by reception at noon.”

With that, Doug started walking in the opposite direction, pulling his phone out and punching some things in. I could only stare in disbelief in shock, replaying his words. For the first time ever, I had managed to get a date. Surely it couldn't mean... I finished my walk to the research center and absentmindedly placed the stack of files that had changed my day for the better. My thoughts were roaming from the date to what Doug had been saying about my eyes, that he saw something in them. I stopped, realizing suddenly what that could mean, although I thought it was way too soon. Could Doug have possibly seen color in my eyes?