MacArthur's Park [Feedback/Discussion/Critique]

So yeah, hit me with your comments and questions here. This is actually a short story that I wrote on Facebook totally not based on my life inspired by the lyrics of "MacArthur's Park" by Jimmy Webb and popularized by Richard Harris in (insert year here).

Here's the song if you haven't heard it:

video not related to story

Any resemblances to living or deceased persons are entirely coincidental and unintentional.

This was originally supposed to be a series of stories buuuuut I'm a lazy arse and I tend to lose inspiration quickly so I decided to make it into a one-shot type of story lol.

Ahh, this was an example of pain I know all too well, haha...

I had to learn the hard way that getting hung up on a wound from the past would only cause it to fester and force me to lag behind in the game of life. 2 years ago, I had blundered on my first, and it caused my self-loathing to spike because I had made her disappear. All it took was one simple mistake, one overstepping of bounds, one utterance of words meant for the future and I had scared her away. 4 years ago, the combination of the misguided hatred I held for my Step-Mother had created a gap between her and my Father, showing me the fragility of the sacred bond of marriage once more. I've watched my Brother and my friend's go through terrible loss after loss because they still haven't healed from the pain. Hell, I've watched the weakness of those bonds since I was 4; only a week after my birthday did my Mother divorce my Father because our family bored her and stole her freedom.

Love, Trust, Understanding: These feelings have been damaged with every painful experience, and for awhile I had considered such wear and tear to be permanent. I thought long and hard about what it meant to live, and have been working tirelessly towards mending my perceptions. I thank you, Zephyr, for giving me another reason to reflect on my past and use that knowledge to bring about a future I can love and be a part of.

I apologize for speaking about myself here like some form of narcissist, but I felt a need to explain my connection to this story, haha. I hope that everyone who reads this can learn to never allow their bad experiences decide their future. You would be denying what could be with mere shadows of the past, haha.