Some Small Changes to Ari's Sprites

Khrene Cleaver

Yo! I saw the new character on the front page a minute ago and was pretty ecstatic to get some representation going on in Pokemon! Especially after taking away character customization in ORAS

Buuuut their hair doesn't quite make sense. as we can see is say this guy's hair part, line hair parts make hair go perpendicular to the part and not parallel like both the non binary character sprites. Their hair styles are pretty comparable to this woman's, and you can see why you would want to make a perpendicular part, but you would need either to add detail than a sprite can really manage, add some sort of hair clip, or simplify the hair part to a single point to justify the hair style. I did the lattermost.

Also I noticed xyr's palette was a bit muddled, not enough contrast between the lightest two or the darkest two,and two much contrast between the second darkest color and the the third darkest for the white in the pants and used in the lightning bolds in xyr's shirt.

I didn't do anything to the two bottom most sprites other than change the palette to match

Anyway, enough chatoting!

Px1OJ85.pngYWIuXqL.png

And at 2x scale for easy in browser comparing

9zf45Ih.pngyMT7MVx.png

Attached are the edits I made, the big gif shows the edits enlarged back to back, Og = Original and Ed = Edited and the little png is the same sprite sheet

Thanks for producing such an awesome game y'all!

post-47100-0-06301300-1415503748_thumb.gif

post-47100-0-01426400-1415503749_thumb.png

Edited by Khrene Cleaver

I don't really know what to say. I can understand the parting of Ari's hair in this case if we're aiming for more realism.

Personally, I prefer the lighting on Ari's pants from Ame's sprite, just because it's a lot easier for me to notice the direction of light.

Not bad Khrene.

I really like the edited versions. I especially like the added detail in Ari's hair and the lighting fixes in the best up sprite. I prefer the edited lighting on xyr pants, though I like the original lighting on the same sprite's shirt just a bit more. Will you make these edits available for when Ari gets released? I might play as xem in a future file so I'm curious

Interesting. Aside from fixing the right portion of xyr head, I found that the edit made Ari seem far more androgynous. The current Ari seems a little too feminine, but adding that light spot under xyr left eye makes xem have a more male-ish/determined look.